Health Discovery Network
mamgirl

5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

Yes indeedy, jalepeno peppers is what I was referring to (seventh ingredient on the list)

Too bad about the meat/dairy no-no for you.... the sour cream cools off the spiciness juuuust right :)

(thanks Amy)

"If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that Acme crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?"

My pics

Thank you for sharing these recipes. I plan to start CORE in the morning, and now I'll have some ideas of what to make!

~Becky

Best. Thread. Ever!

Taco Lentils

[thread=120135]Pasta e fagioli[/thread]

[thread=102997]Tamale Pie[/thread]

[thread=94771]Unstuffed Peppers[/thread]

[thread=108494]Golden chicken with spicy refritos[/thread]

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Guest Lewis89

bumping up to the top

Guest desiww73

I love many of the recipes that people have posted and rely on them but I'm Indian and the recipes I couldn't live without are core versions of Indian food. Couldn't stick to core until I figured out how to get my fix of Indian food. Here are some recipes with Indian names and descriptions:

Khichdi (Risotto is the closest thing I can think off to describe this)

2 tsp oil

cloves (about 7-9)

cumin seeds (2 tsp)

turmeric (1 tsp)

garlic (as much as you can stand!)

2 cups brown basmati rice

2 cups split mung lentils.

8 cups water

salt to taste

Combine rice and lentils, wash. Heat oil, add spices fry for a minute, add garlic, fry until brown, add rice& lentil mixture, brown for a few minutes, add water, bring to a boil, let simmer until cooked to the consistency you want. If you like don't want it too mushy, add less water. I eat it fairly mushy - this is what we would eat as kids when we were sick. I make a big batch and then reheat over the week, throw in veggies and microwave.

Chicken in Yogurt (Indian name is 'safed maas', literal translation is 'white meat')

Oil (3 tsp)

Bay leaves (3 large)

Cloves (6-8)

Cinnamon stick (1 inch)

Garlic paste (2 T)

Ginger paste (2T)

1.5 lbs chicken (thighs, breasts, whatever you prefer)

2 Cups yogurt.

salt to taste

Heat oil, add spices, fry for a minute, lower heat, add garlic and ginger paste, and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes without browning, add chicken cook for few minutes, add yogurt. Cook until sauce is thickened. *if you use chicken breasts, add yogurt, allow to cook down a bit and then add chicken, otherwise the chicken will be overcookded and dry out before the yogurt thickens.

Chicken kadaii (very simple chicken curry)

3 tsp oil

3 T garlic paste

3 tsp coriander powder

2 tsp chili powder

1.5 lbs chicken

1 large can of diced tomatoes.

Heat oil, add garlic, fry for a minute add spices, throw in chicken and diced tomatoes. Cook until tomatos have cooked down to thick gravy.

Palak Chicken (Chicken cooked with Spinach)

Oil (3 tsp)

Bay leaves (3 large)

Cloves (6-8)

Cinnamon stick (1 inch)

2 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp cumin powder

Garlic paste (2 T)

Ginger paste (2T)

1.5 lbs chicken (thighs, breasts, whatever you prefer)

3 large tomatoes

1/2 of large onion, chopped

Spinach (2 of those frozen boxes, but you can add as much or little as you like).

Salt to taste

Heat oil, add first 6 ingredients, fry for a minute, add onions, fry for a minute, add garlic and ginger, fry for a minute, add chopped tomatoes, cook for a couple of minutes, add chicken and spinach. Cook until done.

Whew !! I better stop now ! Let me know if anyone tries these...

I just printed those out, Desi. Thanks for sharing! I LOVE Indian food!! :bcb_grin

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Guest desiww73
I just printed those out, Desi. Thanks for sharing! I LOVE Indian food!! :bcb_grin

Yay a fellow indian food fan!! Let me know how they come out - I was having a hard time translating the way I cook (a bit of this, a bit of that, ooh maybe a little bit more of that) to written recipes. If something doesn't taste good it's probably b/c something was lost in translation and I need to rewrite the recipe.

I love Indian food's flavors!! I have your post saved and will try them for sure! Ever since getting on Core I can't get enough of the spicy/flavorful combos like garlic and hot or ginger and garlic.

Thanks!!

"If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that Acme crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?"

My pics

I love Indian food TOO! Thanks so much for these recipes!!!!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Thank you so much for this thread. I have just started WW after having my 4th little boy and I really want to try core, but didn't know where to start. These recipes look great and will give me a great jump start. Hopefully I will be able to help others soon. Thanks again to everyone who posted!

Tammy

mom of 4 boys ages 9 months to 6 yrs!

SW 209.8

CW 187.4

GW 135

Welcome, Mom!!! Congratulations on the birth of your son!! :D

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

Bumping this for us newbies! I'm so excited to try new recipes. :)

Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

Your link to pumpkin chili led to baked oatmeal.

Is baked oatmeal CORE? I thought no baked goods?

Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

Sorry, I fixed the links.

There is a huge (to put it mildly) controversy about whether baked goods made with all Core ingredients (or Core + a few WAPs) are Core or not. I believe (and so do lots of people here) that Core + Core = Core, baked or not.

However, if I find myself overindulging I do limit myself to one baked good a day, and then count points after that. Others limit their baked goods in similar ways.

Suzie :salut

I began Core on June 1st and this thread is like an early birthday present. Thank you very much for all your work. :salut

*waving at WWCarol* How are your doing!!! It's so nice to be back on the WW wagon. You have always been so generous with your time helping everyone out and it's very much appreciated.

I hope your family is doing well....especially that darling DS! :bcb_bigsm

Hoppy

Lifetime - 02/22/08

I will not weigh more tomorrow morning than I did this morning! ~Colleen

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com - please click daily 16_2_104.gif

Guest Starrbrite

To the top for another look.

Guest shatani

ooooh, i love this thread!

bump! :bcb_grin

I began Core on June 1st and this thread is like an early birthday present. Thank you very much for all your work. :salut

*waving at WWCarol* How are your doing!!! It's so nice to be back on the WW wagon. You have always been so generous with your time helping everyone out and it's very much appreciated.

I hope your family is doing well....especially that darling DS! :bcb_bigsm

:wave: Hi, Hoppy! :bcb_bigsm

It's great to have you on the WW wagon! :salut

Family's doing great! DS, too! Really? I called him "darling"?! :bcb_up

LOL.

Everybuddy. Definitely try the Fried Bulgar if you like fried rice...It's phenomenal. :salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Bumping up! Newbies gotta peek at these!

Reduced my cholesterol by 55 points in four weeks!

Don't quit because something is going to 'take time', the time is going to pass regardless, use it wisely!!