Health Discovery Network
mamgirl

5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

Stuffed cabbage casserole again! I froze several portions to see how it would taste as a microwave meal and it is just as good! My question: has anyone ever doubled the cabbage? I really love cabbage and that seems like an easy way to bulk up on veggies. I wil try it that way next time and report...

I was sad to finish the very last left-over serving of cabbage casserole last night! I doubled the cabbage and the onion and it was still wonderful! This might be a recipe I make every week.

SW: 225.6

CW: 175.8

HW: 245 (non-pregnancy weight)

Rejoined 5/15/2010 to get to LIFETIME!

I tried the CORE chocolate cake! OH BABY that is a good recipe!! I might cut down on the splenda just a smidge but it's a keeper!

Forget the potholes, enjoy the journey!!

As long as I am breathing, I'm gonna be at a WW meeting!

SW: 273.6 (4-17-05)

CW: 146

GW: 137

Lost 128 lbs!! 9 TO GO!!

I cant get ff/sf pudding mix, so does anyone know how that would change the point value if I use fat free pudding instead?? THanks! ps does it matter if its instant or not? I

I cant get ff/sf pudding mix, so does anyone know how that would change the point value if I use fat free pudding instead?? THanks! ps does it matter if its instant or not? I

Forgot to mention that I am referring to the core choco cake recipe

Stuffed cabbage casserole again! I froze several portions to see how it would taste as a microwave meal and it is just as good! My question: has anyone ever doubled the cabbage? I really love cabbage and that seems like an easy way to bulk up on veggies. I wil try it that way next time and report...

What a coincidence! I bought 4 bags of the angel hair cabbage today and used 2 of them for the stuffed cabbage casserole. I made it for a late lunch and I think it's great.

BMTA - I wanted to bulk up on the veggies, too.

Hoppy

Lifetime - 02/22/08

I will not weigh more tomorrow morning than I did this morning! ~Colleen

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com - please click daily 16_2_104.gif

Taco night at my house last night. I made the Cornbread Crepes. Unbelievable! Everyone wanted those instead of the flour tortillas I bought for them. Of course, they were planning all the things they could do with them like filling them with strawberries and whipped cream. I had to freeze the rest to keep them safe for myself.

Laveta

Does anyone know how many servings is in the stuffed cabbage casserole? I think I probably overate, in fact I know I did. It was so good and I didn't have a side to go with. BUT, I know now for the next time I make it.

[B][I][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Jenny[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]height - 5'8"[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]HW - 181[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]CW - [/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]Weekly Exercise Goal - 75/210 miniutes[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL]

I totally overate it also. I made the Tamale Pie last night. OH MY GOSH! Another one that I had to make myself get up from the table and walk away.

I am making it a rule to have a large salad with these casseroles.

Laveta

Laveta, I agree with the salad. Those things are just so good!!! Salad is a great idea!!!

[B][I][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Jenny[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]height - 5'8"[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]HW - 181[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]CW - [/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]Weekly Exercise Goal - 75/210 miniutes[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL]

Stupid question -- well, maybe a not so stupid question. How do you figure out whether the recipe you're making is core or core + WAP and if it is core + WAP, how do you know how many points to count?

A new Corbie who didn't do core right the first week and I want to lose this week.

Melody

weight.png

All you need to do is see if any ingredients in the recipe aren't Core and divide the points for those among however many servings you make. Example: If I use 4 pts worth of 2% cheese but the rest of the casserole is Core, it would be 1 pt per serving if there were 4 servings.

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

I'm bumping this one back to the top because every time it comes up I feel inspired to try something new--or in the case of this morning, something old! Unstuffed cabbage casserole for dinner tonight and this time I am trying it with quinoa instead of rice.

Core Polenta Crisps

Roll of Polenta (usually found in the cold produce section of grocery store)

Olive Oil Spray, or use polenta you just made in the above recipe

Heat the broiler of your oven. Remove polenta plastic wrapper and cut into 1/4" slices with very sharp knife. Spread polenta rounds onto large baking sheet, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spray tops of polenta rounds with olive oil spray (like Misto sprayer), and season to taste.

Broil for approximately 20 minutes, until polenta rounds are bubbling, crisp, and golden-brown.

Yummy - I made some "nachos" with these the other night! They were quite tasty! I topped each chip with a drop of FF Sour cream & fresh made guacamole, and a dallop of salsa. Just realized I could have added FF cheese too! LOL! I seasoned mine with garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder. They were great!

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

newbie brit here so apologies in advance, but i've been reading through the white chilli chicken recipe and would love to try it, I've googled the northern beans so know what they are but what is the cup of salsa? does anyone know what I would be able to use over here? thanks

3 red-ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped

1 Large white onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, chopped

4 jalape帽o or serrano chiles, stemmed and chopped (not seeded)

录 Cup chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley

1 lime, juiced

1 Teaspoon kosher salt

6 grinds black pepper

1 Teaspoon sugar if the tomatoes are acidic (optional)

That's a basic salsa recipe I found online. It just gives you an idea of what is in salsa. I wasn't exactly sure what you were asking. Frankly I often SKIP the salsa when I make the chili and it's fine!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

First, let me say I made WWCarol's oat scones today.. I had one this afternoon with thawed mixed berries and ff plain yogurt, sweetened and sprinkled with cinnamon.. my DH had his with lowfat vanilla ice cream... wonderful... many thanks.. I will be coming back to look for more recipes..

Here is my submission:

1. Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:

2 tsp olive oil

4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed

3 cups chicken stock

1 large carrot, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

Crushed garlic cloves, 2 or 3

Chopped fresh ginger, 1 or 1 T

Salt

Pepper

Bit of curry powder

Bit of nutmeg

Instructions:

Saut茅 onion in olive oil, 15 minutes

Add half broth, squash, carrot, simmer 15 minutes

Add rest of broth, spices, simmer 30 minutes

Puree in batches, adjust seasonings

Serve with dollop of yogurt or sour cream

2. Low Fat Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup

INGREDIENTS:

2 tsp olive oil

1 small onion, finely chopped

2 tsp cumin

2 tbsp curry powder

1 pound bag of baby carrots

1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

3 1/2 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken or vegetable broth

PREPARATION:

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven and saut茅 onion until softened. Stir in cumin and curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add carrots, sweet potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

When cool, transfer vegetables to a blender and blend until smooth, working in batches. Return to Dutch oven to reheat.

Serves 6

Per Serving: Calories 146, Calories from Fat 21, Total Fat 2.3g (sat 0.3g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 73mg, Carbohydrate 28.4g, Fibre 4.6g, Protein 2.9g

3. Apple Butternut Squash Casserole

1 large apple, sliced thin

8 oz. butternut squash, peeled and sliced 录 inch slices

Layer in 9X13 inch pan

Mix:

陆 T flour

录 C brown sugar

录 tsp salt

录 tsp cinnamon

Dash of nutmeg

Stir in and crumble:

2 T butter

Sprinkle crumbled mixture over apple and squash slices

Bake at 350 F for 50 - 60 minutes

4. Apple Braised Chicken

2 tsp vegetable oil

1 pound chicken breast, uncooked, boneless, skinless, four 4-oz pieces

2 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1 large onion(s), sliced

2 medium apple(s), firm, cored and sliced

1 cup apple cider

1 cup fat-free chicken broth

1/2 tsp table salt

1/2 tsp ground ginger

2 tsp cornstarch

In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, warm oil over high heat. Toss chicken with flour in a medium bowl, patting off excess. Place chicken in skillet and brown well on both sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

Reduce stove temperature to low and add onion to skillet. Saut茅, stirring often, until onion is tender and lightly browned.

Stir in apples, cider, chicken broth, salt, ginger and chicken. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken, onions and apples to a serving dish.

In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 2 to 3 tablespoons of pan juices. Combine cornstarch mixture with remaining pan juices, whisking constantly. Simmer for one minute. Pour sauce over chicken and serve. Yields 1 chicken breast and about 3/4 cup of apple-onion mixture per serving.

Flavor Booster: Pears and chicken are an appealing combination. Substitute 2 ripe Bartlett or Comice pears, peeled, cored and diced for the apples, 1 cup sparkling pear cider for the apple cider and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg for the ginger.

5. Roasted Bell Pepper Tomato Soup

路2 tsp olive oil

路2 medium garlic clove(s), minced

路1 medium onion(s), diced

路1 medium carrot(s), chopped

路1 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence (equal mix of basil, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, savory and marjoram)

路14 1/2 oz ff reduced-sodium chicken broth

路20 oz canned crushed tomatoes

路1 tsp table salt

路1 Tbsp fat free creamer, such as fat-free 1/2 and 1/2 (I used ff milk)

路1/2 tsp black pepper

路3 medium sweet red pepper(s), or orange, sliced

路2 pkts SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener

Instructions:

路Place peppers on a cookie sheet, and place under warmed broiler, turning until all sides are charred. When cooled, peel and seed the pepper.

路In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic, stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion and carrot. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.

路Add herbes de Provence, cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peppers.

路Add broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Cover; simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, half-and-half and Splenda* No Calorie Sweetener. Pur茅e in small batches; briefly reheat, if needed.

Yields 1 cup per serving.

Lifetimer for life!

wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com

That's a basic salsa recipe I found online. It just gives you an idea of what is in salsa. I wasn't exactly sure what you were asking. Frankly I often SKIP the salsa when I make the chili and it's fine!

Thanks for that, its sort of what I expected then really, it confused me with the 'white chicken' as this will obviously be red!! Presumably it means the beans not the recipe :)

Thanks for that, its sort of what I expected then really, it confused me with the 'white chicken' as this will obviously be red!! Presumably it means the beans not the recipe :)

I made the white chicken chili (with the salsa) and it is not red. There is not really enough salsa in it to make it red.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Bumping up for my sister. Welcome to BCB and Core! You're going to love it!

Tammy

mom to 4 boys ages 1-7

I made the white chicken chili (with the salsa) and it is not red. There is not really enough salsa in it to make it red.

Uh... the "WHITE" refers to white chili, not white chicken...it is a WHITE CHILI recipe...it will NOT be "red"....White and chicken are both adjectives for the "chili"....make sense?

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Wow! Just finishing up my first week of core. Nervous of weigh in tomorrow but excited at the same time. Guess we'll see if I'm doing this right or not!

Anyways thanks so much for this thread, tons of great recipe ideas to try for my 2nd week of core :)

Proud Mom to Mckenzie born July 26/06

Now ready to shed these baby pounds!

Joined WW April 15, 2008

weight.png