Health Discovery Network
DivaLicious

Knee Pain Question...

Sometimes when I work out hard on the Step Bench I get this pain in my left knee. It feels like I've pulled something and like it is going to pop out of place. What is that and shd I stop doing what I am doing? Do I need to take rest days until it goes away? I've never experienced this before, does this mean I am getting old? LOL!

Also, the day after I do Step aerobics the bottoms of my feet feel bruised and it's painful to walk...As the day goes on it gets better. I make sure I am stepping off and on the bench properly.....Like I said, I've never experienced pain like this b4, but then again I wasn't carrying so much weight before either....

Two ideas:

How old are your shoes? Shoes are good for about 100 hours of work. Then the support starts to break down, even if the shoe doesn't look like it's worn out. Ankle pain is a good indicator. I'm not sure about foot pain.

For the knees, I imagine you need to rest. It's certainly a cheap and easy thing to try. I need to rest a full day between step workouts. Since step is a big part of my strength training workouts, I can't do plain step aerobics on my cardio days. I can do other cardio, such as floor aerobics, kickboxing, walking, running, swimming, and cycling. But not step.

For me I think it's part of getting older. I don't know about you -- maybe losing weight will help.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

I really love doing the Step Aerobics, in fact, it's my favorite form of exercise, but right now, that's what hurts my knee. The step helps me get the heart rate up real good. I am too heavy chested to run or do jumping jacks, so I'll have to think of something. When I work-out, I like to work-out hard and really sweat so I feel like I've done something, hehe. When I do the WATP video's I don't get the pain, but I also don't feel like I am working as hard. ...O'well. Guess I'll have to WATP and do Floor Aerobics until I drop some more LBS. Maybe losing some more weight will make it better...I sure hope so...

Thanks, Roni

Guest suzy-loozy

Good shoes....the foot pain is in the shoes.....I like to have two pair I walk in.....one drys while the other works.....They break down slower that way.....

As for the knee pain. ......be very careful......it could be your minicus rebelling and you don't want to blow that out......you'll be on the cutting table to fix that one.......

There is a difference between muscle pain and joint or bone pain.....learn to read it.....muscle pain is one thing.....a good rub, vitiman etc...can help that but the other two are your body saying I don't like what you're doing.....try wrapping your knee and see if it helps.....if not, check with your doc

Good luck!:exercise2

Roni, I was just lurking through these posts and saw your question about knee pain. Red flags went up only because I just went through a knee injury in Feb and believe me, you don't want to go there.

I am no Dr. but what caught my attention was you saying that your knee feels like it is going to pop out of place. That is indicative of a strained miniscus tenden. When you blow out the tendon, it feels like you pop your knee or disclocate it. It is very painful and many times the only fix, like Suzy says, is surgery. I did not need surgery but was on crutches for a couple weeks and the recovery time is very long. I am only now fully squatting again.

Just be very careful and avoid any real high impact especially if it involves any rotating moves or side-to-side movement of the knee. Kind of limits things doesn't it? An MRI can determine the condition of the miniscus and the rest of your knee health.

Good luck and be careful.

Bonnie

Returning Lifetime Member

The control center of my life is my attitude.

:bcb_march:bcb_march:bcb_march

(-7) - Week 1:bcb_bigsm

Thanks Bonnie!

I've been pretty much resting or doing the WATP and some FIRM Upper body Strength training this week, trying to give the knee a break. I am going to attempt FIRM Aerobics & Weight training today but if I see that I am having troubles still will stop the DVD and just do the WATP again.

I just had a cyst, ovary and folopian tube removal surgery in May followed by an infection that almost killed me so I sure DO NOT want to EVER have surgery again. I don't even like going to the doc anymore and being touched whatsoever, but I'm Diabettic and have to go 4 times a year. :( I was once considering a Booby lift, but after that experienc in May I NEVEr wanna have surgery again. If diet and exercise can't perk these puppies up for me, well I guess they won't be perked, LOL! Unless I'm wearing a bra that is, hehe! Luckily my man loves me as I am. :)

Guest CBCJammer

Shoes are usually the first place I start to look whenever I have any sort of pain.

I've been teaching step for 5 years now, and here's what I tell my participants: check the height of your step verses your own height. How many risers/how high is the step you're using? Modify any of the moves that could potentially cause a torking or shift of weight on the knee: instead of hoping around, walk around, instead of a 3-knee repeater around the end, eight walk around or do 1 knee and over the top. Finally, how fast is the music that your instructor is using? I would consider talking with her/him and asking. Anything over 130 is considered too fast, not allowing participants to "maintain control" and instead just throwing themselves around and over their step.

Lastly, an instructor at the gym I tach at wears a knee brace while she teaches. If the pain continues, I would definately see a doctor and discuss your options.

I hope this helps!

C