Health Discovery Network
Catherine Rose

Thanksgiving Recipe Exchange

Dear Coreiors (Core Warriors)--

I posted a longer version of this story on the regular Core forum (Pumpkin Pie thread), so I'll give the Reader's Digest version here.

My flex friends at WW have challenged me to convince them to try Core on Thanksgiving week, by providing family & core-friendly recipes for T-D dinner.

Maybe we can all help each other (and our flex friends) by exchanging recipes for a great Core (or almost Core) dinner?:help:

Here's my "perfected" core pie crust recipe (also posted on the other forum) to start the ball rolling....

Perfected Core Pie Crust

3/4 c. Cream of Wheat

1/4 c. oat bran

4 t. canola oil

1/4 c. applesauce

salt to taste

Mix in a bowl, pat into a sprayed pie pan (I used the back of the spoon and it worked fairly well), bake at 400 degrees (where's the degree symbol on my keyboard?) for 10 minutes. Then, fill with your favorite Core pie recipe and bake again.

My husband said it was good (and the best usual response I get from him is "it's OK"). I think it tastes almost like "regular" pie crust.

(Note: I've also tried this with 1 cup of quick oatmeal instead of the Cream of Wheat & oat bran and I actually prefer this for everyday eating. It feels so decedant to be eating pie for breakfast--but what could be a better breakfast--a veggie serving, some egg & milk, and oatmeal?)

Cathy

Cathy,

I am so excited about this pie crust!!!! I am in awe with all of you who create core recipes by using their imaginations and experimentation!!!:headover: I think we should have a core cookie challenge in time for the holidays. Judy

sw 169

cw 161.82

gw 158:jump_jack Judy

Hi Cathy,

What kinds of pies have you made this way? I'd love some ideas.

Do you think it would freeze ok?

Thanks!!

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

I've just made pumpkin so far. I'm going to try the apple custard pie (I think it's on this forum) this weekend, so I'll let you know the results. (see below) I imagine it could work for cream pies, too. I don't see why it wouldn't freeze well, but I haven't tried that, either. I've just been making a pumpkin pie & eating on it for several days. My personal favorite pie is lemon meringue, and I may have to try that with the sf/ff lemon pudding. Oh yeah, if you make a no-bake pie, the crust may have to cook a bit longer.

Don't forget to post a T-day recipe or two here.:)

Cathy

Experiment results: The crust recipe worked fine for the apple custard pie, except next time I won't bake the crust first. The pie itself cooks for about an hour & that's a long time (it didn't burn, but it was kinda chewy). Then I made a banana pudding pie. The crust worked but, since it is kind of the consistency of a graham cracker or shortbread crust, I'm going to add some sweetner (and, maybe, some flavoring) to the crust recipe next time. I guess even "perfected" recipes can still be perfected!

I would love to see some sort of sweet potato casserole that was CORE. I am not very imaginative when it comes to cooking (I'm lucky I can follow someone else's recipe) so for all of u CORE guru chefs out there... :)

The one I normally make is sweet potatoes, a bit of OJ, brown sugar, spices and marshmellows. Not even sure where to begin to get that CORE.

I could easily skip the marshmellows, I dont like those anyway, my kids do.

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Thanks Joanne.

This looks perfect!!!!!

I could even put marshmellows on 1/2 of it for the kids and I bet they wouldn't even know the difference.

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

I have not tried any of these recipes but.. they seem like thanksgiving foods :)

Roasted Autumn Vegetable Toss

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?p=965274#post965274

Bulgur Stuffing

2 cups reduced sodium-fat-free chicken broth

dash of cracked black pepper

1 cup of bulghur

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup of chopped fresh mushrooms

3/4 a cup chopped celery

1/2 a chopped onion

DIRECTIONS:

In small saucepan, bring chicken broth and salt to boil; add bulghur. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until broth is absorbed and bulghur is tender. In small skillet, heat olive oil. Add vegetables and saute until onion is tender but not brown. Stir in cooked bulghur. And enjoy!

Sweet Potato Barley Risotto in the Crock Pot

http://www.recipezaar.com/149708

Pumpkin and Potato Stew

http://www.recipezaar.com/130245

Balsamic Asparagus and Artichokes

http://www.recipezaar.com/165549

Jodee SW: 223 CW: 177 PW:178.5 GW:??

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I am so happy someone started this thread. I am hosting my furst turkey day this year and was thinking of doing the whole thing (or as much as i can) core and see if anyone notices (which I dont think they will. I already have the pumpkin pie and homemade applesauce perfected as well as mashed potatoes. Turkey is core already. I need to work on stuffing (i'll try the recipe above), cranberry sauce (think I can make my own with splenda), candied sweet potatoes or sweet potatoe casserole, green bean dish, some other side dishes i know i am forgetting, and of course most importantly, dessert.

I am planning on testing out every recipe before the big day so i know it is passable to the fam.

~Chell~

HW: 201

:ugh: ~ SW: 175

10% GW: 157.5 ~ WWGW: 150 ~ PGW: 140

weight.png

Bulgur Stuffing

2 cups reduced sodium-fat-free chicken broth

dash of cracked black pepper

1 cup of bulghur

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup of chopped fresh mushrooms

3/4 a cup chopped celery

1/2 a chopped onion

DIRECTIONS:

In small saucepan, bring chicken broth and salt to boil; add bulghur. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until broth is absorbed and bulghur is tender. In small skillet, heat olive oil. Add vegetables and saute until onion is tender but not brown. Stir in cooked bulghur. And enjoy!

Has anyone tried this before, I have seen similar recipes floating around here. And would this be a 'in the bird' stuffing or an 'out of the bird' stuffing.

~Chell~

weight.png

After some searching, I found this on allrecipes. It may be a good sub for your typical creamy (very non core) greenbean casserole. It is at least worth a test run. If I have time maybe Ill try it this weekend.

Green Bean Artichoke Casserole

SUBMITTED BY: Bonnie T.

default.gif

"This is a family favorite for the holidays. It's an upgrade from the standard green bean casserole. It's easy to make and tastes so good!"

Original recipe yield: 8 servings

PREP TIME 5 MinCOOK TIME 45 MinREADY IN50 Min

USMETRIC

SERVINGS About scaling and conversions

INGREDIENTS

• 3 (15.5 ounce) cans French cut green beans, drained
  • 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained
  • 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs (use corn meal)
  • 8 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (ff or soy)
  • 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (ff)
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup olive oil (reduce?)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Pour the green beans, artichoke hearts, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to blend everything thoroughly. Drizzle olive oil over the top, then cover the dish with aluminum foil.
  3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, then remove the aluminum foil, and bake for another 15 minutes to brown the top slightly.

I tried this last nihgt. Not at all what I expected.....need to find another recipe to give a try.

~Chell~

weight.png

Sorry I didn't post the pumpkin pie recipe. I just used one I got off of this forum, but here it is anyway:

Pumpkin Pie

1 cup ginger snaps (I used the "perfected" pie crust instead of this)

16 oz. can pumpkin

1/2 cup egg whites (about 4)

1/2 cup sugar (I use Splenda)

2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, cloves)

12 oz. evaporated skim milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grind the cookies in a food processor. Lightly spray a 9-inch glass pie pan with vegetable cooking spray. Pat the cookie crumbs into the pan evenly. Mix the remaining ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. pour into the crust and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in the refrigerator. Serve with fat-free whipped cream.

Serves 8, each slice contains: 165 calories, 1.5 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 1.5 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.

The above calculations are with sugar added.

3 points per serving

By the way, thanks for all the great recipe ideas. Keep 'em coming! I'll also add more as I experiment.

Cathy

I have made this the last few years:

PUMPKIN MOUSSE

1 can pumpkin (15 oz)

2 pk F/F-S/F instant vanilla pudding

2 cups of skim milk

1 tub lite cool whip (8 oz)

1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Mix pudding with skim milk; when set add other ingredients

Serves 8

.5 points per serving.

Panda Bear

"Supposing you have tried and failed again and again. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

I haven't made these before, but we almost always have cornbread or corn muffins at Thanksgiving, so I may try it this year

WW LOW FAT CORN MUFFINS

10 servings

1 point per serving

1 can cream style corn

2 egg whites

2 tbl. finely chopped onion

2 tsp. sugar

1/4 c. lite evaporated milk

1 c. self rising cornmeal mix

Preheat oven to 400. Place paper baking cups in muffin tins and set aside. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix until cornmeal is completely moistened. Pour batter into baking cups 3/4th full. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Panda Bear

"Supposing you have tried and failed again and again. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

We also have baked onions at Xmas, and this is a good recipe. You could make one per person.

WW Baked Vidalia Onion

Ingredients:

1 Vidalia onion (accept no substitutes; it has to be an authentic Vidalia)

1 beef boullion (sp?) cube

1 T. balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel onion and chop off ends. Make a vertical and horizontal cut in the onion but don't cut all the way through. Pull 4 segments slightly apart and place boullion cube in center.

Place onion on square of heavy duty foil and drizzle balsamic vinegar over it. Seal foil to make packet and place in oven; bake for 1 hour.

Beef cube, vinegar, and sugar from onion make a wonderful "syrup" and the onion tastes like candy.

Panda Bear

Mary Pickford

I would serve this as an appetizer. I get already sliced apples at Trader Joes, so it's easy

CORE Caramel Apple Dip

8 oz. fat-free plain yogurt

2 tbsp. fat-free sugar-free butterscotch pudding mix

1 tbsp. sugar-free caramel syrup (DaVinci)

Mix all and let chill.

Panda Bear

Mary Pickford

Here's another one and it's good

Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions

Serves 12

8 medium peeled sweet potatoes -- cut into 2-inch

pieces

4 medium red onions, cut into 1-inch pieces

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 teaspoons lemon pepper

1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in 2, 13 x 9 inch baking dishes, evenly

dividing up the ingredients. Toss to coat and bake for 35 minutes or

so, until the taters are fork tender and nicely browned.

Panda Bear

Mary Pickford

Probably my last recipe:

Green beans

2 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 pounds green beans, washed and ends trimmed

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large saucepan of water with 2 teaspoons of salt to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and refresh under cold running water. Drain.

In the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the pecans, Worcestershire sauce, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the black pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the pecans are golden brown and fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green beans and cook, stirring, until well coated and warmed through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and serve.

Tweak: I used less pecans, just a few tablespoons. It tasted fine to me

Panda Bear

Mary Pickford

My parents are hosting Thanksgiving, and I help bring the side dishes (dad makes the turkey and the dressing)

I will bring green beans, the roasted sweet potatoes and onions and mashed potatoes (just made with ff milk and roasted garlic....very good)

We serve plain rolls and I make the pumpkin mousse. My MIL brings a pie, also.

If I host the meal, I make a spinach salad also, but we don't do that at my parents.

I avoid the dressing and don't care alot about the rolls. My splurge is a glass of wine.

Panda

Panda Bear

Mary Pickford

If you think you don't like brussel sprouts...try these! You'll end up having to DIVIDE them evenly, so everyone gets their Fair Share...! :D

"Just thought I would add this recipe, since I think this is the BEST way to enjoy Brussel Sprouts!!

Wash and trim the sprouts. With a knife, mark an X in the stem end. Put them in a covered microwavable bowl and cook them on "high" for about 3 minutes (til they are steaming and partially cooked). Then put the sprouts on a roasting pan (I lined mine with the new non-stick aluminum foil and it worked wonderfully! :D ) and spritz the sprouts and pan with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Put into a preheated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Shake the pan about every five minutes.

These will get a "golden brown" in places, and the high temperature will bring out natural sugars in the brussel sprouts! Hope you like them!! Carol"

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I am not sure where I got this recipe from. Last year I went back Home for Thanksgiving and Chris and I did the dinner for almost Everyone. And several were on WW so I scrambled and found some recipes and neglected to write down where they came from. If this is yours, please let me know. It's very very good. I'll be using it again this year, although I'm not sure when we'll do our traditional meal.

Rice Dressing - Stuffing

POINTS value | 3

Servings | 12

Core recipe

Each serving counts as 1 oil.

Ingredients

4 cup fat-free chicken broth

1 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice

2 cup onion(s)

2 cup celery

1/4 cup olive oil

4 oz canned mushrooms

1/2 Tbsp dried parsley

2 Tbsp poultry seasoning

3/4 tsp table salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

Instructions

Cook rice in 3 1/2 c. broth.

In skillet saute veg. in olive oil. Add seasonings and 1/2 c. broth.

Mix together and spread into 13x9 pan.

Spray 13 X 9 pan.

Bake uncovered 30 min.

-------------------------------

Slow and Steady

weight.png

Started WW and Core 9/29/05

:bcb_march Re-committed 03/12/08

Im not one for pumpkin, does anyone have a recipe for sweet potato pie?

Also, in the pie crust recipe is the t. for teaspoon?

Would you consider reposting the pie crust recipe with your suggestions for sugar (splenda/fructose)? Sorry to be a bother, I just LOVE all of your recipes but sometimes its not so easy to convince my husband! :headover:

Rosie, NJ :jump_jack

SW 144.8/CW 143.4/GW130

When making a sweet/dessert pie, I use a different method for making my crust. I use 1 c oat bran 1 c oatmeal, 1 egg, 1 tsp olive oil per serving (so it is one serving of oil per slice), and dv syrup of your choice until sufficiently moistened. Just mix it all up and press into bottom of pan. I prebake it for about 10-15 minuted before adding my filling and baking again.

~Chell~

weight.png

I just used the perfect pie crust recipie on a pumpkin pie. OMG it was great. My husband kept asking me what the crust was made from. A friend of mine who owns a restaurant couldn't believe when I told her what was in it and how healthy it was. Thanks for a great treat.

"Every day is a winding road, I get a little closer to feeling fine" ..Sheryl Crow:strong:

http://cshaw.extrapounds.com/