Health Discovery Network
want2bskinny

Started weight training, need advice?

I have been riding my bike for 45min 5 times a week for months. 3 weeks ago I started 45-60 min of weight training 3 times a week and I have been exhausted for the last 3 weeks, this week seems to be better. Did this happen to anyone else? It seems odd to me that this would be from weight training, but I haven't changed anything else. Any ideas?

Started WW: March 27, 2006

Starting Weight/Current Weight/Goal Weight

225/215/200

I WILL get there!!!

:bcbsalute to you for starting strength training!

I also do strength training 3 times a week, and I find it can tucker me out even more than my cardio does. It was worse in the beginning, because my body just wasn't used to it. I have been doing it pretty consistently for almost a year now, and it does get a bit easier...but the thing with strength training is: If it is getting easier, then it is time to change something (reps, weight, or #sets). I find I am more sore then tired these days...but a good sore one that let's you know you worked out your muscles :D

Carolyn

HW/CW/WWGW/PGW

244/159/160/144

85 pounds gone forever!!

http://chubbycanadian.extrapounds.com

If you are exercising hard, then you need to eat a lot. Also, I think 60 mins of WT alone is too much. I think 45 mins is a good outside cap of time.

Make sure you are eating protein throughout the day and drinking your water.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

HI there,

I agree with Amy. An hour of weight training is a LOT. Especially if you're doing it 3 times a week. When I push hard (which you are supposed to do), I can exhaust myself in about a half an hour. It's no wonder you are exhausted. If you want to continue this pace, cut back a little on your cardio, and do it AFTER your weight training (of course, warm up for five minutes BEFORE lifting). I have difficulty completing a hard weight session after I've tired myself out on my Nordic Trak ski machine.

You can make great progress, and achieve a desirable (for everyday activity) level of strength, with two, half-hour sessions per week. What I recommend, based on ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine Guidelines), is:

- ONE exercise per muscle group (8-10 exercises, in total)

- TWO sets of 8-12 (or 15 if you can do more) reps per exercise, with at least a 30 second rest between

- Choose a heavy enough weight/resistance that you can hardly complete the last rep with good form (or, maybe you CAN'T complete the whole set, but can do at least 8 reps)

- Do this twice a week

- When you get to the point where you can complete the full 12 reps with PERFECT FORM, then you need to increase the weight the next workout. (You may only be able to complete 8 reps at the higher weight the first time you up it, but in following workouts, you work to achieve higher reps, until you can make the full 12 - then up the weight again. This is called "progressive overload," and it's how you stimulate your body to add muscle mass).

- Warm up for 5 minutes before strength training

- Cool down and stretch for 5-10 minutes afterward, paying attention to the muscles you worked

IF you push yourself hard, this is really all you need to do. ACSM has done research that shows that 80% of our strength gains come from the FIRST set of the week, that we do. So, using my 2x a week plan, you are actually doing 3 "extra" sets. The first set get you most of the way there, and the others help you incrementally, but also help build the habit of strength training.

After 6 weeks or so, you will need to change your exercises in order to keep making progress (and to keep from getting bored)

Many people think,mistakenly, that they need to spend hours in the gym to get strong. In reality, our bodies respond very quickly to fairly short, intense bouts of weight training. Even some elite bodybuilders don't really spend much more than a half hour, per day, weight training. They just work a different muscle group each day.

I hope this helps,

Jennifer

PS With all the weight training you are doing, make sure you eat extra protein as part of your APs.....if you don't, your body can't make new muscle fibers, and that may explain some of your exhaustion...

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Guest bigsmile1982

Just some pointers, just from my experience. I now figure train, but i love the weight watchers sight and i will always come back to this board. It has many great ideas i still get.

I have been Figure training to start figure competing by this coming May and I do alot of weight training (not heavy weights). I do cardio 2x's a day @ 30 min each because i do not want to run off my muscle. I walk on a incline or i do the bike, eliptical, or stair stepper. I train 5 days a week and work out with Mike Davies group. He is the trainer for the top figure pros. He had 13 of his girls in the Olympia competition this yr. Anyways, I was really tired when i first started just like you. But once i got on his way of diet and took what i needed to.. I feel soo much better now and i dont get sore.

I take Glutamine which has helped soo much with muscle recovery, along with vitamins (one of the main keys to feeling good i think) and such. Also, i eat 8 times a day.. yes.. unrealistic to the outside world, but if you can squeeze in 5-6 times a day that will help you so much and increase your metabolism. You can still eat that many times using weight watchers because my meals consist of 3 - 4 oz chicken, turkey, tuna or fish w/ apple or w/ salad/balsamic ving, oatmeal, egg whites, flank steak. I think mini meals is the key. But just my two cents. Hope any of this helps.

Guest bigsmile1982

Oh Jennifer M. is totally right about not spending hrs in the gym. We workout 5 times a week but only 45 mins. We work one body part a day and between each set we do 30 ab works or push ups, pup squats, etc. To keep our heart rate up. It is all at a fast pace. So you will burn your muscels better. But the one muscel a day is how we do it, probably not how you would.

Also, i agree with not doing cardio before weight training. I made a mistake of doing that once beofre my weight training and i literally could barely get through the weight training that day.

Ok, just my 2 cents again.:strong: :D