Health Discovery Network
queenie521

Creamy Pumpkin Oatmeal

I finally whipped out my crockpot last night and was glad I did for my yummy breakfast this morning.

2 c steel cut oats, rinsed

1 12 oz can ff evap. milk

1 15 oz can pumpkin

5.5 c water

1 c splenda

2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1/4 c sf maple syrup (0 pt)

Just put it all in the crockpot, mix until no chunks of pumpkin left. Cook on low for 8 hours (while you sleep). WALA!!!!! Yummy breakfast for the entire week!

~Chell~

HW: 201

:ugh: ~ SW: 175

10% GW: 157.5 ~ WWGW: 150 ~ PGW: 140

weight.png

Guest alliep627

You said this makes enough for a week, right? I don't mean to sound really stupid here -- I've just never made a big batch of oatmeal at one time. So do you put the leftovers in the fridge and then microwave on high to heat it up again? Is it still just as good when you do that? How long do you heat it back up for? If this is really good I was thinking I should double it and make it for me and my husband to save us some time in the mornings. But if it's the slightest bit "off" from his regular instant oatmeal packets he won't touch it. Let me know...I want to give this a try if possible. Thanks!!! :jumprope:

I think it is really deliscous and very hearty. Personally, I think it is just as good cold as warm however I prefer it warm for breakfast. Yes, just refridgerate leftovers or you can even freeze them if it will take longer than a week to eat. just pop in microwave to heat up (im not sure exactly how long, just keep testing it to your desired temp)

~Chell~

weight.png

What happens if you use regular oats instead of steel cut?

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

I havnt tried it, but if you want to try, I would use rolled oats intead of quick oats (or if you want to make quick oatmeal, follow directions but cook on stove, it wont take so long). Please note that steel cut oats take twice as much liquid as regular oats so you would need to cut the liquid in half. I prefer the steel cut because they are a lot heartier, the pain is the cooking time, this is why I did it in the crockpot overnight. As far as I am aware, steel cut oats are oats in there whole form where as oatmeal or "rolled" oats are rooled flat, the flatter/thinner they are, the quicker it is to cook.

I found this on food network which defines different types of oats:

oats

Definition: According to a definition in Samuel Johnson's 1755 Dictionary of the English Language, oats were "a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but which in Scotland supports the people." Since oats are by far the most nutritious of the cereal grasses, it would appear that the Scots were ahead of the rest of us. Today, whole oats are still used as animal fodder. Humans don't usually consume them until after the oats have been cleaned, toasted, hulled and cleaned again, after which time they become oat groats (which still contain most of the original nutrients). Oat groats can be cooked and served as cereal, or prepared in the same manner as rice and used as a side dish or in a dish such as a salad or stuffing. When steamed and flattened with huge rollers, oat groats become regular rolled oats (also called old-fashioned oats). They take about 15 minutes to cook. Quick-cooking rolled oats are groats that have been cut into several pieces before being steamed and rolled into thinner flakes. Though they cook in about 5 minutes, many think the flavor and texture are never quite as satisfying as with regular rolled oats. Old-fashioned oats and quick-cooking oats can usually be interchanged in recipes. Instant oats, however, are not interchangeable because they're made with cut groats that have been precooked and dried before being rolled. This precooking process so softens the oat pieces that, after being combined with a liquid, the mixture can turn baked goods such as muffins or cookies into gooey lumps. Most instant oatmeal is packaged with salt, sugar and other flavorings. Scotch oats or steel-cut oats or Irish oatmeal are all names for groats that have been cut into 2 to 3 pieces and not rolled. They take considerably longer to cook than rolled oats and have a decidedly chewy texture. Oat flour is made from groats that have been ground into powder. It contains no gluten, however, so--for baked goods that need to rise, like yeast breads--must be combined with a flour that does. Oat bran is the outer casing of the oat and is particularly high in soluble fiber, thought to be a leading contender in the fight against high cholesterol. Oat bran, groats, flour and Scotch oats are more likely to be found in health-food stores than supermarkets. Oats are high in vitamin B-1 and contain a good amount of vitamins B-2 and E.

~Chell~

weight.png

Ok, so if I cut the liquid in half, am I cutting *just* the water by half or the water AND the evaporated milk?

I would be using just regular oats, not instant

**Sharyn**

well steel cut oats to liquid measure is 1:4 whereas regular oats to liquid is 1:4. i included the evap. milk as a liquid so you would either have to reduce that by half as well or if you dont want to just use 1/2 a can (i hate doing that), then just make sure you decrease it by that much water. I dont know if you will need all the pumpkin either, but honestly, I'm not sure cause I've never done it (i just made this up last night), you will have to experiment.

~Chell~

weight.png

Never mind.

I found Steel Cut Oats and bought a small bag of them.

I will just make the recipe as its written.

Helps if u look in the right place in the grocery store :)

**Sharyn**

I made this up last night, and am eating it this morning. It is quite yummy. Don't suppose you figured out the points for this? I'm going to sit and try to do it this morning...but how many servings is this? Hmm...

Linette

Lifetime: 2/9/06

SW: 187

GW: 150 I got down to 142 at my lowest weight...

Re-dedicating myself as of 01/04/11 NewSW:190

CW: 173.0 (-17.) WOOT!!! (08/01/2011)

Proud mommy to Kiley Alyssa 6/25/03 and Marisa Gail 2/20/08

Linette, I ran this through fitday last night. My memory may be faulty but I think I got 3 points based on 8 servings. 1/4 cup of my Steel cut oats is 2 points and the evaporated milk adds 1 more point. I did not include the SF maple syrup as I don't like maple and was going to sub Davinci which is 0 points.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Linette, I ran this through fitday last night. My memory may be faulty but I think I got 3 points based on 8 servings. 1/4 cup of my Steel cut oats is 2 points and the evaporated milk adds 1 more point. I did not include the SF maple syrup as I don't like maple and was going to sub Davinci which is 0 points.

What flavor DaVinci are you going to sub for the maple syrup? I'm going to try to make this tonite but I'm not sure I have maple syrup.

**Sharyn**

I like Spice Blend or Gingerbread with pumpkin so I was thinking one of them. But caramel and white chocolate are good too.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

I am going to attempt to make this tonite but I had another question..

Is a "slow cooker" the same as a crockpot?

**Sharyn**

Never mind.

I found Steel Cut Oats and bought a small bag of them.

I will just make the recipe as its written.

Helps if u look in the right place in the grocery store :)

Pandorra, where did you find Steel Cut Oats in your grocery store? I'd love to try this recipe but have NO IDEA where to find them.

Has anyone tried this yet with regular oats?

I'm anxiously awaiting feedback for those who have tried it...this sounds so yummy!

"Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

ive never found steel cut oats in my regular grocer. i have a natural food store where i get all my grains in bulk and found it there. try looking in the organic section, it may be there if not by the cereals.

~Chell~

weight.png

I found Steel Cut Oats in my regular grocery store in the organic/health food section which is teeny tiny. I found it sitting next to the Bulgar Wheat and the 100% whole wheat pasta, all things I had been looking for.

I made a big boo boo, been thinking that the Healthy Harvest whole wheat blend was CORE and it isnt, so I just found out. Fortunately I dont eat a lot of pasta so I dont think it messed anything up.

**Sharyn**

LOL heres the deal ladies...

If I make this and it turns out good, ANYONE can make it.

Im such a lousy cook! This has been THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE for me on Core, the cooking!

**Sharyn**

Pandorra...yes, I believe a slow cooker and and crock pot are the same thing...

Did you try this recipe yet? I'd challenge you for the "cooking challenged" title...just ask my family! :embarrass It's no surprise my DD8's favorite meals are raviolli (yes, the stuff from a can) and buttered noodles (and she's the only one I cook for)!

I'm eager to hear how it turned out...

"Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

LOL my kids liked canned ravioli when they were younger too. Now they cook for themselves so they don't have to eat my cooking :)

I am going to WW tonite to get weighed, then as soon as I get home I'm going to throw this stuff in the crockpot. I should have a full report in the am, since I plan on having it for breakfast.

I also told my DBF I'd bring him if it turned out good so now he is looking forward to it. What pressure!

**Sharyn**

OH

I had another question

How does one "rinse" oats?

I mean, with water? In a strainer?

**Sharyn**

you got it, just put it in a strainer (make sure the holes are smaller than the grain) and rinse through with water. you are basically trying to get all the 'oat dust' off from the oats rubbing against eachother in storage.

~Chell~

weight.png

There is something that I make really well you know...

DINNER RESERVATIONS!

**Sharyn**