Health Discovery Network
want2bskinny

Weight training and gaining weight!!! Help!!

I started WW in March/06 and have been riding my bike 5 times a week for 30-45min a session. 4 weeks ago I started weight training 3 times a week for 45-60 minutes a session, that includes warm up and cool down. These last 4 weeks I have gained weight, is this normal? I am getting very frustrated with this since I was typically losing over 1# a week before I started to weight train. I know weight training is good for you and it builds muscle that burns more fat but when will I start to see the scale go down? I know I am stronger then when I started but my clothes and appearance seems to be the same. Thanks to all those who can help.

Started WW: March 27, 2006

Starting Weight/Current Weight/Goal Weight

225/215/200

I WILL get there!!!

I believe weight training makes your muscles hang onto liquids, so drink lots of water to compensate for that. Also muscle is heavier than fat. And you may be adding extra food for being good and working out--don't do that. Hope this helps and I definately would not stop working out.

It is normal but it's probably not muscle gain yet. But it will work itself out once your body catches up to this new activity. Your muscles do retain water after a heavier or new workout. There is a thread about The Firm, which does a lot of lifting, that says that even you pants may get tighter in the first 1-2 months but after about 6 months, the weight "falls off". Please don't derail your exercise plans, they sound great. And eat those APs!

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

I agree with everyone above. Eat your APs, but don't overdo - doublecheck your weighing and measuring, in case you may have gotten a little "sloppy." Make sure you'e getting your Healthy Eight in each day - especially the dairy and protein (where I tend to fall short). Also, 4 weeks puts you still in the beginning phase of weight training, as Amy noted. It takes a good couple of months (3-6) of consistent training to build up new muscle tissue. The weight gain you see could indeed be water weight, or it could be your body hanging onto every calorie, especially if you haven't added APs to compensate.

One more thought....you don't really need to strength-train 3 times a week for up to 60 minutes. You COULD subsitute an additional cardio workout (to emphasize fat-burning) for one of your strength workouts. That might help jumpstart the weight-loss again. Two strength workouts per week, especially if you are training hard, is more than enough to elicit substantial strength gains. So the additional cardio might help.

Finally, it's possible your body has gotten used to your exercise routine and has become "resistant" to change. Try changing up your workout - especially your cardio. Try a different machine, a different level of intensity (or vary the intensity intervals throughout), or even make one day a "low-intensity" day. If you add the extra cardio workout in place of a strength session, make it "something completely different," if you can. Try an exercise tape, take a long walk at lunch, maybe do a bike ride on the weekend..you get the idea. The idea is to do something your body is unaccustomed to doing, just to get things moving again in the right direction.

There's no guarantee any of this will work of course. Some of us just tend to plateau for a bit (sometimes for months). But stick with it, and the weight WILL come off.

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Guest Munka213

A pound of muscle weighs the exact same as a pound of fat - it's just that muscle is leaner and takes up less space. :)

A pound of muscle weighs the exact same as a pound of fat - it's just that muscle is leaner and takes up less space. :)

I was about to point out the same thing. 1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat...it weighs one pound.

Fatima AKA Smylin_Atcha

:p

ya ya name: Queen Horny Toad Smurf name: Hootchie Smurfette

sw:270 cw:190.6 79.4 lbs destroyed:bcbsalute

Faith is the ability to know u will survive the panic. Rosie O'Donnell

I would also suggest takig measurements. Sometimes you may be losing inches and not seeing it on the scale if your body is holding on to water to repair your muscles. It cn help keep you motivated when the scale is not going down as quickly as you wish.

emily

sw268/cw 212.2

My Space & Photobucket

"What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step." C.S. Lewis

I would think your muscles are probably holding to water as they are repairing after your workouts. When you get used to the workouts, they will release and you should start dropping weight again or stay the same. You may want to consider getting some measurements for your body, and a body fat meter and keep track of your results with that along with scale. You may not lose weight, but you will continue to lose inches and become more sculpted.

Good luck.