Health Discovery Network
lyfer98

Swimmers-Hair Care?

Do any swimmers out there have advice for how to care for your colored hair when you swim regularly?

Do you wear a cap? I hate the thought of doing that. Do you use a special conditioner? Do you always wash it after you swim?

I have shoulder length hair that I color myself and I'm concerned about what the chlorine may do. I've bumped up my swimming from 2x per week to about 4 and I'd hate for my hair to get all wrecked from the chlorine.

Thanks for any advice. :)

Bonnie

Returning Lifetime Member

The control center of my life is my attitude.

:bcb_march:bcb_march:bcb_march

(-7) - Week 1:bcb_bigsm

I use a swimmer's shampoo that I got in a beauty supply shop (Sally's Beauty Supply - store locater in the link). The brand is ion. It's not insanely expensive either (I pay around $6 for a 16-oz. bottle and sometimes it goes on sale). My hair stylist recommended it for my daughter, who swims 3x/week except during school swim season (5x). I use a normal conditioner (Pantene Classic Care).

We both like it a lot. It does a good job of keeping my hair (and my dd's hair) from turning to unmanageable straw. Our hair isn't colored but the pool chemicals can still damage it!

I wash and condition after every swim workout. I try to do it before my hair dries, preferably before I leave the pool, but we are the last group in the pool at night and Coach really wants to lock up so I can't always take the time.

I am a member of US Masters and I swim twice a week with my dd's USA Swimming club. I'd love to do more, but 2 music groups and 2 weights workouts pretty much consumes the rest of the week!

Oh -- I thought I'd add, my hair is cut just above the shoulder and I wear a cap to keep it out of my way and also to keep my head warm. To help get my hair into the cap, I tie it back in a ponytail first. I like the silicone caps; they don't stick to the hair so badly. But some people hate them!

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Thanks Nancy. Fortunately there is a Sally's right here in town. I will stop there tomorrow.

I'm impressed by your mother-daughter swimming. What a neat thing to do with your teenager. I have really enjoyed swimming which I've been doing since April and am up to about 4x per week. Thank goodness for well heated pools in our neck of the woods right? :)

Bonnie

Returning Lifetime Member

The control center of my life is my attitude.

:bcb_march:bcb_march:bcb_march

(-7) - Week 1:bcb_bigsm

Ah yes, indoor heated pools are great especially for, well, most of the year.

Having me in the pool is a mixed blessing for dd. I think she's mostly embarassed but she knows how much good the swimming has done for me so she puts up with it and she can justify me being in the water to her teammates. I have promised faithfully not to compete in HER meets. (There are a few parents that do on some of the other teams.) I go to my own meets (hence joining Masters instead of USA Swimming). If there were community swim I might do that, but it's great to be coached and actually learn something. Plus Coach pushes me harder than I'd push myself. I'm up to 2700 yards in 90 min. (from around 1600 in Jan.) and he says he's going to get me to 3000. I don't think I'd have to push much harder to make it. It's wierd but every time I do 100 more, the next 100 doesn't seem like it would be so hard. Coach puts the adults (up to 4 of us) in one lane, separate from the kids, almost all the time.

There are 3 meets coming up in upstate NY, I hope to make the one on Nov. 19th in Ithaca and maybe the one on Dec. 2nd in Niagara Falls.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Guest katysabrat

I've found that if I wet my hair and throw in some deep conditioner before putting on my (lycra) cap and then immediately wash and condition it's not *that* bad. What I mean is that it's no more or less straw-like than how some regular products leave me hair when I'm not swimming.

And FWIW, Redken also makes a swimmer's line.

Back in my lifeguarding/swim team days I learned that if I wet my hair with fresh (shower) water before getting in the pool, my hair soaked up a lot less of the pool chemicals. I also always shampoo and condition my hair right after getting out of the pool. I used UltraSwim shampoo typically.

But if you're in the water a lot, you're definitely going to get some buildup. By the end of a summer lifeguarding and teaching swim lessons, I always had hair that was crunchy and stiff when it dried, no matter how meticulous I was. ;-)

Nikki

SW: 183 (1/8/06)

CW:145

WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)

next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

My little cousin is a serious swimmer and she coats her hair with vaseline before practice/meets, then puts a cap on over it. She said the grease protects her hair from the chemicals. Her hair is gorgeous, even after all that swimming, so who knows?