Health Discovery Network
AChiO4444

Core "Hamburger Helper"

Made this up tonight and it turned out pretty darn good. I think it's a great 'base' recipe you could play with...taco skillet, chili skillet, onion beef, etc. It was great, because it's a one pot meal!!!! DH ate two servings, so I consider it a success!

1 lb. ground beef

1 med onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

3.5 cups of beef broth (I used water and boullion stuff)

8 oz. ww pasta (I used farfalle)

3/4 c. ff sour cream

3/4 t. mustard

salt and pepper to taste

Brown the beef along with the onion and garlic. Drain any fat. Add the beef broth and the pasta, cover, bring to a boil, and simmer at a med. boil for 15 min (or until pasta is cooked). Turn the heat down to low, and stir in sour cream and mustard.

Enjoy!

SiFi - 114 lbs gone, 80ish lbs left to lose

DS: 1 year

DD: 2 years

Man, this is delicious. Total comfort food. This definitely doesn't taste low fat! New favorite core pasta recipe! Y'all gotta try this.

I added a few dashes of Worchestire sauce and oregano. I think it would be great with mushrooms added but I didn't have any on hand.

Erin (Princess Dirty Bird)

Wow, this was really good! Tasted just like hamburger helper - I love and have missed that stuff!! You could really shake this recipe up and do all sorts of different things with it. Thanks for posting this!

Brooke ~ HW: 217.0 ~ SW: 211.6 (10/24/09)~ CW: 208.2 (as of 12/12/09) ~ WWGW: 155 ~ PGW: 145

This is the best core recipe I have made to date! It will definetley beome a staple for me.

One thing I did was add a bag of frozen mixed veggies to the mixture, and I upped the sour cream to 1 cup to accomodate for the extra ingredients.

Really good, and really filling. Way better than generic boxed hamburger helper!

181.2/123/125

Guest designsbybriana

This was good. We ate it plain. Dh loved it with pepper, said it was really good. It wasn't my favorite recipe but it wasn't bad at all either, but I'm not a huge fan of hamburger helper. I was surprised at how much it was like hamburger helper. Thanks for the recipe! :)

It was a good recipe. Thanks!

Next time, I might try making a Cheeseburger HB Helper. Instead of sour cream we could add pureed FF cottage cheese and add some FF cheese.

Anybuddy tried any other variations?

Diane

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

I wonder how this would taste if u replaced the pasta with bulgar?

I really like these type of meals because they reheat for lunch really well but I don't like using my pasta/potato quota for lunch.

I'm guessing u'd need a little more liquid and a little longer cooking time?

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

This sounds really good...has anyone tried it with taco seasoning? And if so..what did you think?

~LD~

Started WW on Sept 25, 2006 Total weight loss so far 51 lbs. :jump_jack

Core-- Weigh In on Mondays

Recent WI: -2.6 lbs(10/8/07)

Guest sunshinegirl2006

I'm thinking about making this for dinner tomorrow night, and adding taco seasoning, green peppers, and a little bit of soy cheese. Sounds totally delicious!!

Ok i made this tonight with the taco mix seasoning...and oh dear lord..it was yummy!!! Of course my DH asked "Where are the taco shells?" Uhhhhh dear..thats not how it works LoL

~LD~

Started WW on Sept 25, 2006 Total weight loss so far 51 lbs. :jump_jack

Core-- Weigh In on Mondays

Recent WI: -2.6 lbs(10/8/07)

I made this last night. I used a can of Rotel, added 1 cup frozen corn, and one envelope Taco Seasoning. I left out the mustard and garlic. This turned out really good! Topped with FF Sour Cream and FF shredded cheese.

Rhonda

16_2_27.gif

Groovy Granny to 5 1/2

Human to 3 short hairy kids

WI~Meeting Thursday

Starting WT 272

Current WT 268.8

Very good! I just made this and added a little more ff sour cream, oregano, and ff mozz cheese. Delish!:bcb_up

Kay :bcb_wink3

HW- 192

SW- 164 4-14-08

LW- 149 7-30-08

CW- 161.6

Personal Goal- 135

I made this last night. I used (2) 14.5 oz cans of french onion beef broth instead of the 3.5 c bullion. I upped the Sour Cream to 1 cup. And I added a can of peas/carrots and a can of corn. It was very good.

Thanks for the recipe

~Chell~

HW: 201

:ugh: ~ SW: 175

10% GW: 157.5 ~ WWGW: 150 ~ PGW: 140

weight.png

I made it last week and it was good. A little runny I think I will make adjustments next time in broth I add and sour cream but family ate it!

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

i'm a flexer...but this recipe is delicious!! i made it with ground london broil and barilla plus elbows and it came out to 4 pts/cup if anyone actually cares. i added some emeril's original essence and oregano. next time, i want to add more veggies - bell pepper and mushrooms. and try the taco version...either way it's def a keeper recipe!

Im a Flexxer too but I am going to try this one. Thanks for the recipe! p.s Thaks Kimmi for figuring the points :)

I made this and used a can of Campbell's Tomato with Basil and Oregano soup instead of the sour cream and everyone LOVED it. It freezes well too!:bcb_up

Donna :wave:

SW: 195 lbs May 1, 2006

CW: 171 lbs March 4, 2009

GW: 145 lbs

I bet this would be good as a chili mac thing. Add Kidney beans, chili seasoning, ff cheese mmmmmmmmmm I am going to try this recipe tonight!

Nicki HW 284.0/SW 246.6/CW 246.0/GW 184

LIFETME- 5/5/07 (lost 100 lbs)

If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail!

I made this last week following the original recipe, except I had to use full-fat sour cream because that was all I had on hand, which made it to "heavy." The flavor was delicious though, and I'm going to make it again in a week or two with the light version of s.c.

Tish

Onward and Downward

I made this 2 nights ago and LOVED it!

I'm a flexxer, and it ended up being a little high in points, but I would definitely make it again.

I followed directions, except I didn't have onion. I added in a splash of worcheshire (sp...), and about a cup of Campbell's Select Italian Tomato w/ basil & oregano. I also added in 1 c LF Mozzerella.

So good! Just don't forget the mustard, gives it that tang!

- Jacque

"Hang Tough. That means doing your best every day."

- Major Dick Winters, Band of Brothers

SW: 162

CW: 149

GW: 135

Bumping up to try this week...

Did anyone try it with the cheese to make cheeseburger mac? My daughters love that, so I'm hoping to adapt this recipe to accomodate their tastes without killing me with all the added points.

~ Pam ~

homeschooling mom to 3 girls

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

weight.png

Just finished this for dinner! I loved it! So did my DH! I followed some tips in this thread and added a bag of frozen mixed veggies and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. I used brown rice pasta from Trader Joe's which was also very good and much better than some of the whole wheat pastas I have had. The dish was really hearty and VERY filling! Great for a cold night......thanks for the recipe, will be doing this one again for sure!

:bcb_up

JK