Health Discovery Network
Guest singing rabbit

Plateau HELP

Guest singing rabbit

I have been at EXACTLY the same weight for the last three weeks and I need help! I am staying OP and getting my healthy 8's in each day. I am doing as much exercise as I can (I had a hysterectomy a bit ago and a few complications so only walking is allowed right now) and am tracking my food each day. I am getting really frustrated with my loss...well, lack there of. I am only at week 10 and have not even lost a pound a week now 8.8 pounds total.

People at my meeting are cheating on a weekly basis and losing all the time. So much of the meeting is spent talking about "getting back on track" and yet I am STAYING on track I am not losing. Is there something that I am missing? Is the program designed with the mind-set that people will actually NOT stay OP each week so that the calorie count will fluctuate? I have tried eating different numbers of the weekly points allowance points...but am using flex rather than core due to the fact that I don't feel like I am at a point where I yet understand how to stop eating when I am "satisfied" as core suggests. SO, I am sure to get those 8's in each day.

PLEASE give me any suggestions that you have. My suggestions from the group at my meeting were geared only toward what to do to "get on track" and I don't think that anyone understands that this is BOOTCAMP!!! If you don't get off track then you won't have to work so hard to get back in the game!

Thanks in advance.

Guest jefrado22

Oh that can be sooooo frustrating. Good for you for getting in your healthy 8 regularly and not giving up now! Don't know how long you have been following program, but sometimes it helps to know that around 12 weeks (give or take 2-3 weeks) is a common plateau time for many...

Here are some things that have worked for me (and others) in the past:

1. Don't just eat your minimum # points each day. You didn't say if you were following core or Flex, but the main thing is to VARY how much you eat (and what you eat). If it's approximately the same # of points every day, your body's metabolism "self adjusts" to that amount.

2. For 1 week, try drinking only water - no canned diet drinks. My leader told me to do that a number of years ago and I didn't believe her that it would work. She told me that some folks' metabolism (not all) just doesn't do as well on carbonated beverages - I was choosing NO SODIUM no calorie diet soda, but figured I give it a try for one week (and that was really HARD for me). Surprise, surprise - it worked!!

3. Are you eating activity points? Youmay not be able to go to a gym, but have you recently been vacuuming up a storm or raking leaves or any other activity that you aren't "feeding" your body for? One of the women in my WW group absolutely refused to count or eat her activity points. Our leader kept trying and trying to get her to eat more - only after she plateaued for almost a month did she eat a bit more (and she said it was very hard for her to do). Yup, she starting losing again. Was it just a time factor, or was it the change her body needed? Who knows. When you plateau, you try a ton of different things.

4. Eat different foods that usual (this sort of goes hand in hand with #1). It's also not easy, especially when you become accustomed to making a certain dkind of lunch to take to work or that you can eat on the run - and knowing the points value of certain foods without having to look them up each time... I periodically do "COLOR DAY" (even before the recent lecture) where I try to see how many different foods of one color in different food groups I can eat. For example, for ORANGE day - dried apricots (fruit), pumpkin (febbie) in my oatmeal, butterscotch pudding (MILK) for dessert, Salmon (protein), etc.

5. Read, read, read - try searching the threads for PLATEAU - I'm sure there are many other posts with a lot of ideas!! And check out the WW site and www.dwlz.com too.

Good Luck!

Guest 2 kute

2 more thoughts to offer. You might just be a slow loser...I know that is what I'm faced with. But keep in mind, you are losing and that's what it's all about. The other thought is the fact your body is still recovery from surgery could be having an impact on your weight loss.

While it's discouraging to hear about the "cheaters" losing weight, you are learning to eat differently and in the long run, that's going to make you the winner!!!

WW=target plus Ap plus WPA

People who eat over target are not cheating- they are the ones that are actually following the program

If you undereat by eating only target- you lower your metabolism and slow your losses and can have easy gains

Make sure you are eating your pts- there is no virtue in not eating ap or wpa on ww.

Eat the most fo your pts not the least- you can only make a premanent lifestyle for yourself if you partake of the whole program and do not put in artificial limitations.

A plateau can be a good thing as from time to time your body has to get used to the new place it is at.

BUt- standard plateau busting strategies ( as long as you are eating enough in the first place) are:

Changing up the foods you eat

Changing up your exercise- upping or decreasing the exercise

alternating higher wpa days with lower wpa days (like the wendie plan or cw plan)

It is a process and a journey- make sure you are experimenting with all your pts and if you have not been eating them give them a few weeks to kick in

Good LUck

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

Guest singing rabbit

Oh dear oh dear, I wasn't very clear...I was upset when I posted. When I said cheating I meant actually cheating. Much of my meeting is spent discussing how to get back on track when you go way off of the program and over your WPA (those extra 35) for the week. I am using some of those, though I admit not all of them each week...but many of the ladies are using ALL of the 35 (which I understand can be good) and then their 35 for the next week and the next week all during a one week time period! The list of excuses is large (well I had a wedding to go to, there was this pot luck dinner, my husband took my to a restaurant...) and I was just frustrated I guess because I don't consider it to be OP if you are using more than your points plus your WPA and activity points for the week. However those women are losing like crazy! So I just wondered what I might be doign wrong. Sorry for the confusion :)

I would stop worrying about other people and concentrate on yourself instead. What they say one week may be when they actually had a loss and the other 6 weeks they don;t say anything cause they had gains- so just follow the program- if you make it your permanent lifestyle you will eventually be at goal- and try to do it by eating most of your pts as that is how you make it your permanent lifestyle- and when you are on a plateau- you are not gaining

Good LUck

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

By medical definition you are not on a plateau until you have maintained the same weight for 6 or more weeks. Please post a day from your journal and then we might be able to see what your problem is. All food is not created equal and that could be why you are not losing.

Susan<br /><br />356/155/166

Success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.

Guest singing rabbit

Day of my weigh-in (but of couse after, lol)

4 - ww smoothie with milk and 1/2 banana in it

2 - simply steam veggies (2 servings)

3 - toast with tsp. olive oil

2 - 1 cup apple sauce

4 - homemade egg muffin (egg, 2% cheese, ww english muffin)

3 - tall chai tea with skim milk (5 oz.)

5 - lean cusine with veggie

1 - popcorn

6 glasses (sometimes more) water

now this is a high sodium day, that I see...and I guess if no weight loss for three weeks doesn't count as a plateu then I won't worry

I guess I was just concerned is all, wondering if I was doing the program differently or wrong. Thanks for any help.

Two things about your food journal:

1- What are the steamed veggies? If they're starchy one, i can see the points value for them. If they are free veggies, you shouldn't count the points.

2- did you check the nutritional info on your applesauce and double it (if one serving is 1/2 c.) I thought my 1 c of applesace was 2 points until i doubled all the nutritional info, and it turned out to be just 1 point.

The reason why I am asking, it could be that small errors in points take away from your daily point target. I.E. instead of eating 24 pts you actually ate 22-23. I know the few points do not seem like much, but they can make a difference.

I do not mean to imply that you do this(it's just a thought on my part), but watch out for BTL's (bites, tastes, licks). They can really rack up points for things that do not seem to be deemed a point value for. I for one am really bad when it comes to these.

Did you take your measurements when you first started? Have you taken them since? Sometimes when the scale is not moving, you are losing inches instead of weight. If you didn't take measurements, are your clothes fitting looser?

http://www.tiffanysjourney.com

SW: 264.2 :embarrass

GW: 145

Recommit SW 219

100 Miles Challenge: -15

85 to go

GW reached 9/23/05

Lifetime Member: 11/4/05

Highest weight loss: 122 pounds

Choice, not chance, determines our destiny.

The next obvious question is about your activity level. Can you describe your exercise plan a little?

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Guest singing rabbit

Hmmm, thanks for the tip. I think I will have to check on the info for that applesauce and such. I may be under counting without knowing it! I just assumed that everything was doubled for two servings, lol!

As far as exercise goes, I know that that is a problem for me. I am recovering from complications with a hysterectomy, so I am only allowed to walk right now, and even then not very hefty amounts at a time. I owned up in my original post, I swear ;) Because of that I don't count AP, I wear a pedometer all day just to keep myself honest. BUT, I go back to the doctor in a couple of weeks and am hoping to be release for something a bit more intense.

I will go back and tabulate a bit more closely. Having only been OP 9 weeks I may be missing a few things yet and thats why I wrote this post. Thanks so much for the input all! :crazy:

Guest MeAgain

I agree with measuring your body. I went a whole month (a December) doing my best in spite of the holidays, and didn't lose a thing. But I made up for it in lost inches! It was really cool... I was getting smaller but a heavier body needs more food. I don't care if I weigh a lot, as long as I can get into a size 6! Muscle weighs more than fat, maybe you are putting on muscle? I know you were walking, but maybe that had something to do with it. 1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat weigh the same, but muscle is a whole lot smaller. I do think that you might be short changing yourself with points though. Lots of good advice above. Good luck!