Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Ga_girl

I'm Afriad of Flex Pts...

Is anyone having trouble using your flex pts :confused: My target is 24 pts and I am afraid to go over that. I try to use up my Activity Pts but for some reason, the flex pts scare me :eek: . I'm thinking that if I don't use them, I'll see better results at the scales. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sheila

Sheila

Start Wt. 235.0

Current Wt. 193

All I can really say it that when I use my flex points I lose and the one or two weeks that I didn't, I gained. Don't be afraid of the points or of food. Food/points are not the enemy. Try out a couple here and there. There are several post right now about metabolism, 2 are right here in this forum. "Interesting News Cast" and "eating More Pts to lose weight". Also a good one in WW Lifetimes and Maintenace forum "Update - How many points do you need? posted by Cally.

Sharon wave.gif

Guest Carianne

wave.gif Sheila We're in the same boat I too am in the 24 point range and am afraid to use mine too. So I totally understand what you mean. I just recantly started going back to meetings on the 4th of this month.

[ November 29, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Carianne ]

First off...there's really only 14 extra points with the new program (they shaved off 3/day of top limit and added 14 they hoped you would earn with exercise to 3qual 35).

Second...if you eat too few calories your body will think it's starving and your metabolism will slow down.

Try adding at least the 21 (3/day) that were originally the top limit for the Winning Points program.

I eat ALL my points every week and have lost 21.5 lbs since 10/1/03. When I was on Winning Points I ate all those points and lost 91 lbs in 7mos.

Just my $0.02 worth! :D

Pat<br /><br />A jouney of 1000 miles begins with the first step.<br /><br /><br />SW: 335.8 (original)<br />SW: 315 (second time around)<br />CW: 288<br />WG: 135

I have to agree! WW wouldn't give you the points if they didn't want you to use them. With Winning Points I ate at the top of my range and with Flex Points I use them all. I've lost 49 lbs since April. During weeks that I ate lower points my weight loss slowed. I usually average one pound per week. Use those Flex Points, girls!

Lisa

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Guest imported_Kelly_S

Actually they didn't ever take the '14' points away from 1-2-3 Success to Winning nor give them back from Winning to Flex.

You see with Winning they wanted you to earn and use a minimum of 2 points a day (14 points a week) to give you the same number as you have now.

Kippy2002 posted this on 11/23/2003 at 9:53:32 AM

Your target points are the lowest possible points you can eat on a daily basis and still be healthy for your current weight, while allowing your body to release fat.

They are not a requirement. If you dip into your flex points and go over your target you have not failed, done something wrong, or bad.

While some people find they have to stick strictly to their target in order to lose (mostly the people at the lower end and who have only a few pounds to lose), MOST people find they lose best by using their flex points, and many active people find they lose best by using both activity points AND flex points.

If you only eat to target, you are effectively training your body to go on sufficiently less food that when you get to goal, you will have to spend the rest of your life eating 22 or 24 points a day. Is that really what you want?

Don't be afraid of flex points. Use them in a way that works with your lifestyle! That is what they are there for!!

invenanet replied with on 11/23/2003 at 9:55:24 AM

Amen!

I *hate* that WW has called them "Target" points. If you just eat those every single day, you will slow down or even stop your weight loss. Vary your points from day to day so your body doesn't get used to one amount of food. Don't be afraid to eat some or all of your Flex Points. Chances are you will SPEED UP your weight loss!

Good luck!

And I added right at the same time

Ditto what Kippy said (well written too may I add) but remember

1) W/W wouldn't give us something that we couldn't use and still lose because they are in the business of weight loss. If we don't lose we quit and if we quit they lose money

2) W/W did sound research on the basal metatoblic rate (BMI for short) and that is how they designed the program with a certain set amount of calories a day/week for your body to lose

3) Remember your body is an engine and for it to run smoothly and what it is supposed to do you need to give it fuel because if you don't give it enough fuel it will stall or die.

4) 99% or more of the people who say they can't use their FlexPoints is because they have slowed their metabolism down because of the way they ate before (be it binge/starve, fad diet, low cal diet, etc) and if they would deal with some slight gains or maintains for 1-3 weeks by 1) eating more and 2) exercise they'd be able to use their points (This is proven in many research studies).

Thanks so much for the feedback. I did manage to use 4 flex points today and I will try and use at least 6 tomorrow.

Sheila

Sheila

Start Wt. 235.0

Current Wt. 193

Keep us updated!

Pat<br /><br />A jouney of 1000 miles begins with the first step.<br /><br /><br />SW: 335.8 (original)<br />SW: 315 (second time around)<br />CW: 288<br />WG: 135

I did pretty good today. So far I've used 33pts (4 APs and 5 Flex pts)

Kelly : Thanks so much for that info. It was very informative - especially the part about "training your body to go on sufficiently less food that when you get to goal you will have to spend the rest of your life eating 22 or 24 points a day"! That's definately not what I want to have to do so I'm determined to use those flex pts.

Sheila

Sheila

Start Wt. 235.0

Current Wt. 193

Guest imported_Kelly_S

You are welcome. Remember though that if your metabolism has slowed you may need to eat the Flex for a few weeks dealing with small gains or maintains until it adjusts...just dont' give up.

I was at a plateau for three months and finall caved in and took everyone's advise about eating those Flex Points. It worked!! I'm now back at goal. wave.gif

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

I usually eat all my Flex points early on in the week - I have been doing this for the past 3 weeks and I have lost 2.5 lbs :D

Oui

SW 166 on June 21st

CW 163

GW 125 by November 1st (~2 lbs/week)

41 lbs in 19 weeks - YES! OUI!

Guest msagent

I have followed Buddies for a long time, but have not posted much. I am trying to get with the program totally this year, so trying to figure out if Activity Points are used with the Flex Point system. Can someone clarify for me?

msagent,

Activity Points are to be used the day you earn them. They can't be banked with the Flex plan.

You can trade Activity points for food points. The choice is yours on that just as using the 35 Flex points is your choice. If you exercise vigorously, you'll need to eat them.

If you earn and use Activity points, you eat those before dipping into Flex on that particular day.

Does that help?

Guest imported_Kelly_S

msagent,

Yes APs have been used with all programs. With FlexPoints W/W has gone back to where you are required to use your APs they day they are earned and there is no more banking of them. They have no longer 'capped' them at a total use of 4 points a day however they still recommend you earn no more than an average of 4 points a day unless under the guidance of a fitness pro or MD. They 1) don't want you to hurt yourself by over exercising, 2) don't want you to over exercise to over eat and 3 don't want you to compensate for a binger or overeating by over excercising.