Health Discovery Network
rosievdz

Oranges = Orange Juice?

I have a recipe that calls for 1/4 cup of orange juice. If I juice an orange and get a 1/4 cup of liquid, is it still core?

I know it sounds stupid but I have been EXTRA good this week and I dont want to mess it up. There are so many exceptions, I want to be sure.:confused:

Rosie, NJ :jump_jack

SW 144.8/CW 143.4/GW130

I don't believe the juice counts as Core. You can always count the points for the juice though.

Brooke ~ HW: 217.0 ~ SW: 211.6 (10/24/09)~ CW: 208.2 (as of 12/12/09) ~ WWGW: 155 ~ PGW: 145

Guest jlsergent

I don't get it. If you ate the orange it would be core and you're getting the juice with the orange. Why wouldn't just the juice alone from a fresh orange be core?

its all about energy density. i believe you can read about that in the nebies thread, but basicall, it all boils down to the fact that if you ate 8 oz worth of an orange, it would be less calories than if you drank 8 oz of orange juice. Does that make sense?

Carol is really good on the energy dense topic, maybe she will chime in.

~Chell~

HW: 201

:ugh: ~ SW: 175

10% GW: 157.5 ~ WWGW: 150 ~ PGW: 140

weight.png

Guest jlsergent

Yes, that makes sense, but if you aren't eating 8 oz. of juice, you are only getting the juice from the ONE orange and then adding it to a bunch of other core foods in a recipe, I don't see why it wouldn't be ok.

I think the other posters are correct about why OJ is not core but oranges are. The point is to make it ok for you to eat fresh oranges, but not to guzzle down orange juice, which can add up to a lot of calories fast.

That being said, 1/4 cup of orange juice is 0.5 points. And how many servings are in the recipe? I wouldn't worry about it!

Katie-La

SW: 165, Spring 03

GW and Lifetime: 130 lbs, summer 04

Recommit weight: 153

Current weight: 146

Goal: back to 135 and learn how to stay there!

Guest jlsergent

That's what I keep trying to get across. You are not guzzling a bunch of juice. It's just in the recipe with a bunch of OTHER core ingredients so it's not the same as just drinking the juice and claiming it to be core.

its fine to use it in your recipe, just be aware that it has a points value to it and is not core. but you are right in that .5 pts divided into multiple servings would be negligible, just be aware it has pts value for future knowledge.

~Chell~

HW: 201

:ugh: ~ SW: 175

10% GW: 157.5 ~ WWGW: 150 ~ PGW: 140

weight.png

Guest TheLovelyJesse

That is one thing I miss on core.. Juice. Darnit, lol.

The big difference between eating an orange and drinking the juice from the orange is what you're leaving behind. The orange itself has all the fiber and lots of other goodies in it; the juice doesn't!

Amy

SiFi - 114 lbs gone, 80ish lbs left to lose

DS: 1 year

DD: 2 years

This is where a vita mix would come in handy. You could put the orange in it (minus the peelings) and make a healthy drink. That way you could get all the pulp and fiber missing from just jucing it.

But this is also the reason why we get 35 points a week, so Core won't be so difficult to follow.

Momster :crazy: