Health Discovery Network
cheetara

dry beans in a crockpot?

No idea on how to cook them in a CP. What do I do?

Also, any recipe suggestions would be appreciated. I just bought 25 lbs of black beans. :crazy:

Thanks!

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

Wow! That was quick! Thanks! :D

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

Guest Rosiejo

I learned something. I thought soaking overnight would really cut the cooking time. Next time I do beans, I'm pulling out the crock pot. Thanks:D

I learned something. I thought soaking overnight would really cut the cooking time. Next time I do beans, I'm pulling out the crock pot. Thanks:D
It works very well. I do a different type of dried bean (mostly chickpeas, pinto, black beans and red or white kidney beans) about once every couple of months. I don't add anything to them, not even salt. Then when they're cooled off I drain them and freeze them in 1 cup measures for later use. They're great to have on hand this way!

Jayne

---

Here's a link to an o-l-d thread - all you ever wanted to know about beans (and then some :bcb_grin )

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61090

Ya-Ya Sisterhood name: Viscountess Cheshire Kitten

Recomitted - Feb 18, 2006 - 219/200.2/5 more / 5' 7"

Total Loss - 18.8 :D

1st mini goal - 10 % = 198

2nd mini goal - Overweight not Obese BMI = 191 lbs

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." --Theodore Roosevelt

I posted this previously on another thread:

Momma25 always put her bag of beans, unsoaked, in her crockpot and filled it almost to the rim with cold water, and put on the lid. She cooked them overnight (around 8 hours) on "LOW".

You can also do this during the day to see how long your crockpot takes to cook a pound of certain beans, and then do it overnight for that same number of hours.

I cook my beans, drain them, and portion them for freezing and cooking. After I've cooked them, I put some in the crockpot with a hambone from Honeybaked (they're on sale after the holidays...Easter, too). I've also added a chopped onion, a chopped potato, a can of chopped tomatoes and some chili powder and cook on "HIGH" then for 4-6 hours. :salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I do this all the time - I usually put 2 bags in and later freeze them in individual portions - they get a bit mushy when reheated, but not too bad. Just remember to not put any tomato products into the crockpot with dried beans until the very end of cooking - the acid in the tomatoes keeps the beans from softening.

* Sue *

High weight: 295 (8/06)

WW re-start weight: 285.2 (10/21/08)

Current weight/goal:

weight.png

844ecd10.gif.