Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boombie

Bars and Smoothies

Guest Boombie

Can anyone tell me what they think of the bars (Just 2 Points or Breakfast bars) and smoothies? I am thinking about getting them at my meeting this week, but I don't have a lot of extra $$ to spend and I'd rather not buy them if they're not really worth it...and if they are good, can anyone recommend a specific flavor?

Thanks in advance!!

Boombie

[ January 05, 2004, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Boombie ]

I've only tried one flavor the the 2 pt. bars (can't remember which now) but didn't care for them. They had an after taste and I couldn't see spending the money on them Since then, I keep a steady supply of Pria bars which are also 2 points, taste much better and are much cheaper.

Lisa

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Guest tryin' again

I have to recommend Kashi's "Go Lean Crunch" bars - specifically the PeanutButter and Chocolate one. They are THE BOMB! They are large, coated in chocolate, and are only 3 points. Also are low in calories and fat, and high in fiber and protein (8 and 9 grams respectively.) I find these very filling and tasty. I get them at Trader Joe's (where they're less expensive) and use coupons also.

Guest Boombie

Duchess,

Thanks...I have tried the Pria bars and they are really good...I already know they're good...I'd rather spend the $$ on those if I have a choice...

Tryin' Again,

Thanks for the advice...I actually really like the Kashi cereal, so I'll try the bars...I like the idea that they have that much protein in them since I feel like protein satiates me more...

Anyone have any advice on the smoothies?

Boombie

Guest imported_Kelly_S

I didn't like the 2 Point Bars too small and there are others out there bigger and taste better.

I have never tried the smoothies but I have tons of recipes for smoothies you to make from scratch.

Guest Boombie

Kel,

Can you post the smoothie recipes or send them to me??

Thanks!

Boombie

I don't like the smoothies, can't get them smooth :eek:

I love the chocolate crisp 2 pts bar.

I mostly get slimfast bars. I love the Peanut Butter crunch, tastes like a butterfinger. smile.gif only 3pts.

I'll have to try the Kashi bars that sounds great to.

100.8lbs Gone Forever!

I also balk at paying such an outrageous price for the 2 point bars. I like Kudos--which most are 2 points--and satisfy my craving for chocolate--I especially like the snickers. 2 points and I feel like I'm eating candy.

Kathy

Kathy<br />I will succeed this time! (#4--I think)<br />SW 227.8 3/20/03<br />CW 175.2 5/28/04<br />GW 158 Sept 2004!!!<br />1st 10% 8/8/03 (-23.6)<br />2nd 10% 1/8/04 (-43.0)

Also try the Special K bars (2 pts) and the Nutrigrain bars (3 pts). Low fat granola bars are usually 2 pts. too.

the bars are too small but they do provide 4 gm of fiber which is more than most commercial brands.

The smoothies (to me) are delicious, and they're a great way to get in both milk servings in one shot if you make them w/ milk.

I make the chocolate smoothie as is, or add 1 small banana, or 1 tbs peanut butter if I didn't get in my fat for the day.

The vanilla are great w/ berries of any sort, that banana again; 1/2 c pineapple chunks, or dig this: 1/2 cup pumpkin puree w/ 1/4 tsp cinnamon, allspice and a dash of nutmeg, for a liquid pumpkin pie! heaven.

I never have any trouble getting them smooth, as a prior poster noted -- because I make them in my blender and always add 3 large ice cubes to make them very frothy.

Enjoy!

SW:197 GW:152 CW:148 Height: 5'6<br />Been at goal since July 1999<br />If I can do it, ANYone can.

I love the new Banana Toffee bars. I also really like the smoothies. I always make them in the blender and add ice cubes so I get a large, frothy smoothie. I like to add different fruit or berries to the vanilla smoothie (pineapple is great). I find this is a great tasting way to get my dairies!

Success is a journey not a destination!

The creme caramel bar is INTENSE if you nuke it for 30 seconds or so -- to get it runny -- then dip sliced apple (1 point) or banana (1 pt if small) into it. Like fondue, only 'healthy.' The banana toffee is wicked good w/ peanut butter on it... then it becomes a real meal... and is delicious. Forgot that when I posted earlier.

SW:197 GW:152 CW:148 Height: 5'6<br />Been at goal since July 1999<br />If I can do it, ANYone can.

Guest lafnsing

I love Dr. Soy bars. (Not the GenSoy which I haven't tried yet.) You have to look in the natural health sections to find them and they are 3 points. However, they are big and extremely filling. Plus they are mostly chocolate and peanut flavors which satisfy any sweet tooth craving I might be having.

I have tried them, but to be honest I think they are way over priced. There are many on the market that are bigger or the same size for cheaper. As far as the smoothie issue, I just purchased the chocolate one, but haven't tried it yet. However, I think I will just look up recipes for that since they are a bit expensive.

DeAnna

SW:218/CW:210/GW:140

Guest jkj1027

I've tried the vanilla smoothie & HATED it. It had an terrible aftertaste & I ended up throwing it out (along with the rest of the box). I much rather make a smoothie from scratch.

Tryin'again -- I too love the Kashi Go Lean Bars in Choc. Peanut Butter ---- but I have to disagree with you on the points. Each bar is 290 cal. 6 g fiber and you can only count 4 with WW and and 6 g fat. My bars are 2.75 ounces. That would make them 5 1/2 points. I do cut mine in half and only eat half at a time. They are large and delicious.

ann p

Honestly, I like the Chocolate Smoothies. I used to drink one every morning. I make it with a cup of milk and about 3/4 cup of ice cubes and blend it up.

I also like the Vanilla, but I will usually add 1/2 Cup of plain Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) for 0 points and a little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg and Splenda. Tastes like a pumpkin pie!

Now the bars, I can do without. I happen to liek the Pria bars better, but I just don't generally eat much processed foods any more. In fact, I usually only have the Smoothies once in a blue moon any more. But the really helped me out a lot when I was losing weight and I wanted something chocolatey!

Guest ClaremoreZebraBandMom0407

I guess I'm one of the odd balls, I love the 2pt bars. Caramel Creme and Peanut Butter Jelly are my favs. I keep them in the fridge so they are cold and hard, takes longer to eat them. I usually by 1-2 boxes each week.

I drink a Vanilla smoothie almost every morning. DH drinks coffee every morning so I make a frappacino smoothie. Lately he's been drinking Carmel Truffle. I mix 1/3 c coffee with 2/3 c skim milk and smoothie mix. Add 1 cup ice cubes and blend. Delicious...

I actually love the ww 2 pts bars. at least some of them. The fill me up more than other bars, and the chocolate ones taste better than other bars. I especially love the PBJ and the Peanut Caramel and I thought Dr. Phil bars were merely ok.

starting weight 247<br />now 160.....never to find those pounds again

Boombie: I too, did not care for the 2 pt bars or the smoothies. There is however a terrific recipe in the Appetizers & Beverages section for "blizzards" -- SOOOOO good! thumbup.gif My DD and I have been making a bunch of different variations and having a ball!! Have a great day!!

~ Kellie

5'10" SW 243/CW 212/WW 174/PG 160

~~Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain

I have tried the bars but didn't like them. The graham/chocolate tasted like cardboard with chocolate.

I haven't tried the smoothie's but will pick some at my weigh in on Saturday.

I have learned to eat to live and not live to eat.<br /><br />SW: 299.2<br />CW: 277.2<br />Down: 22 pounds :))<br /><br />Ya Ya name: Countess Spring Frog

Guest Carianne

IMHO I didn't care for the smoothies too sweet for me the bars some are yuck My favorite is (was) the chocolate peanut I like they discontinued it though because I haven't seen them in my meetings. I do agree that they are over priced so in times when I crave sweet I to will buy prias or kudos those too are 2 pts.

Guest ClaremoreZebraBandMom0407

For those who like the smoothies - try this recipe.

French Vanilla Smoothie mix

1/2 bananna

2/3 cup light cranberry juice

1/3 cup skip milk

1 cup ice

mix all in a blender - its so good. 3pts

Guest JudyD

Tryin' again, I have to agree with you about the Kashi CRUNCH bars. They're really good, I prefer them to plain ol' granola bars. Have you tried the Lemon-lime flavor? I have one everyday with a cup of tea for an afternoon snack at work. :D

ann p., these are not the regular Kashi Go Lean bars, these are the CRUNCH bars. I found them at Walmart close to the pharmacy for under a dollar per bar.