Health Discovery Network
michele914

Winter Fruit help

I am not getting any fruit in. What would be a tastey winter fruit that i can try? Nothing this time of the year seems appealing to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

SW 198 -4/24/05 On my own

CW 151 (-47lbs) gone forever!!!!

GW 130- I can do it.. I can, I can, I can

:wave:Slow and steady wins the race

I agree. This is the hardest time of year to find a lot of fruits. I eat bananas year round, so that's still one I eat. I also eat apples during the winter. We've still been getting grapes, but they're not quite a good as earlier in the year. And we've also been getting oranges and grapefruits. So, I guess I'm really not doing all that badly. What I'm missing are all of the berries.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Oranges and grapefruit are very good this time of year. Apples and bananas are pretty much seasonless now, and pomegranates are just tapering off.

Frozen fruit is another option. Frozen cherries are DELICIOUS, IMO, but you can also get frozen pineapple, strawberries, peaches, mixed berries, mango, etc. They are great for mixing into yogurt, smoothies, or oatmeal.

Applesauce is another option.

So is mixing 100% fruit juice with seltzer water- very refreshing and far fewer calories, depending on the ratio you use. Every little bit helps! :bcb_smile

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

DDAWN, Thanks. I had no idea that applesause would be considerd a serving of fruit. I can live with that.. Should i be getting the sugar free or low sugar kind? Is there such a thing? Not something i would normally eat or buy, but i do like it.

I will look into the frozen stuff. When i buy apples 9 times out of 10, only 1/3 of it is edible.

There is a certain kind of grapes that i like they taste like bluberries does anyone know anything about them and when the best season for them is? I forget the name of what they are called.

Thanks

Go for the applesauce called "natural"- it has no added sugar. If it's not sweet enough for you, add a T of All Bran- it's delicious! I think an applesauce cup is only a partial fruit serving, but maybe I'm misremembering.

I don't know about the grapes, but maybe you're thinking of Concord Grapes? They are almost black, sweet, and basically taste like grape jelly (because jelly is usually made from them). I only rarely see them in my grocery store, but will pay any price for them when they do appear! :bcb_bigsm

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

Thanks Dawn, The applesause is a start for me until i can find something that is worth buying this time of the year. I think concord gapes is what i was looking for. Love them but can never find them... :bcb_bigsm

I think an applesauce cup is only a partial fruit serving, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Nope, an applesauce cup is a whole fruit serving. Since its blended up, more fits in a smaller package - so it's good.

Natural Applesauce is very good and 1 pt. You can also get motts healthy fruit which is fruit flavored applesauce - also one point if you get the sugar free kind. I have seen strawberry, peach, granny smith, grape and blueberry. The peach is my favorite. It's a nice change, especcially times likes now when its difficult to get a variety of fruit. It's a bit expensive to buy the cups, but I like to keep them in my desk drawer for an emergency hunger strike. Sometimes you can get them when they go on sale 3 for $5 which isn't so bad.

I eat a lot of frozen fruit --- cheaper and tastes pretty good. It's great for baking, yogurt, or smoothies. If you put it in a bowl and let it thaw in the fridge, it is good that way too.

You can also get canned fruit - Del Monte makes it packed in water with no sugar (I think there is splenda in it): the peaches are 1 pt for the whole big can and its 3 fruit servings, the pear and fruit cocktail are 2 pts for the whole can and is 3 fruit servings.

When you crave fresh fruit, citrus is definately the way to go!

Original SW: 149

New SW (11/8/10): 138

CW: 132

GW: 125

:work_out:

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

Thanks for the correction, gb. I knew they were 1 pt, but couldn't remember about the serving.

224.2/175/165

GB, you have no idea how much you have just helped me with my fruit issues :)

Thanks so much, stupid me never even thought of canned fruit, never even knew del monte packs it in water. Always thought it was loaded with sugar so i never even botherd to check.

Applesause, canned fruit and frozen is the way i will go until the season comes back in...

Thank you all -for all your help!

The oranges and the tangerines are wonderful this year.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Clementines are good, and occasionally you see kumquats -- those will wake you up! Sweet and tart, all at once -- pop the whole thing in your mouth and bite into it! I eat frozen blueberries for breakfast most mornings with my oatmeal. Just nuke the blueberries for ~3 minutes at 40% power, and they're great!

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

Guest MeAgain

I do frozen fruit too. I like strawberries with some FFcool whip, and I feel like I'm getting a treat.

Dates and figs are great at this time of year. I always told my kids they were "God's candy."

FREEDOM'S just another word for NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE.

I love Granny Smith apples sliced and cooked in the microwave with some cinnamon, splenda and a crushed up lf graham cracker on top. I put a dollop of ff cool whip on top and I'm in heaven. It's a great low pt desert and a fruit serving too.

Kathy

Over goal and not happy