Health Discovery Network
Country Lady

Baked French Toast

Each year one of the members of my Sunday School hosts a breakfast on the Sunday Before Christmas.

I'm considering taking Baked French Toast. Since I've never never made it before, I'd appreciate your input.

A few questions relating to how you make your Baked French Toast?

How much should I make? I'm planning to use Texas Toast for the Bread. I've not counted the number of slices in the loaf; I'm thinking one loaf, should be enough. There will be about 20 of us. Some recipes direct cutting the bread into cubes, ---which would "stretch" the bread". Other recipes suggest leaving whole.

Is the appearance similar to fried French Toast? After it sets in an oblong pan in the refrigerator overnight, if the slices are left whole, should I place the bread onto a rimmed cookie sheet to bake, or is it soggy -- and would fall apart?

*After the recipe is baked, I'll probably look back and feel really silly for revealing my naivete.*

Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it in has passed.

Carol

Carol, lucky for you, I just made this on Thurs. and haven't had time to forget what I did. I have never used Texas Toast, so can't answer that part. I used 12 slices of plain ole white bread in a 9x13 pan. Two layers of 6 slices each. You put the brown sugar butter mixture first. I'm assuming you have a recipe you are working from. Let me know if you need the ingredient list. Pour egg mixture over top. Cover and put in the fridge overnight. Yes, it is too soggy in the a.m to transfer it. Just bake in the pan until nice and brown. You can cut this in squares and it really makes plenty. Remember they will be eating other breakfast items and will only need a small square of this. I sprinkled with powdered sugar and then served with warm maple syrup. Yummy!

Just got another breakfast recipe for Sausage Gravy Biscuits that I am making Christmas morning.

2-3 cans biscuits

1 lb. pork sausage

1-8 ounce pkg. cream cheese

Brown sausage and drain. Add cream cheese to sausage and mix well. Cut each biscuit in half (sideways) Flatten each half slightly with hand, place a tablespoon of mixture in middle and wrap biscuit half around it forming a ball. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. I am going to just use 1 can and half the sausage and cream cheese. I figure 16 is plenty for us at Ann's house.

Enjoy!

I can’t think of any better representation of BEAUTY than someone who is unafraid to be herself.

Guest Dutch

I make a stuff french toast that is out of this world.Go to this website www.aimeesadventures.com I use her recipes all the time and found that I like them very much.Hope this helps.Happy Holiday

Guest suzy-loozy

Mmmmm, these all sound good.....

I'm wondering about the point value of the sausage gravy bisquits though......sausage and cream cheese???? Sounds like something that I would love.....but sounds pointy too.....

Let me know if you have the point value.....

Thanks for sharing!

:bcb_wink3

I don't know about point value. Haven't figured it, but wonder if you could use low fat cream cheese. Or even laughing cow cheese. The idea is to give them a gravy like taste.

Oh, and I just looked at the recipe and it says 1/2 of a tablespoon of the mixture in the biscuit. Sorry.

I can’t think of any better representation of BEAUTY than someone who is unafraid to be herself.

Guest suzy-loozy

No worries.....I was already going to e-tool it with RF cream cheese and RF sausage (yes they have it) and RF bisquits, and yes they have those too...

Thanks for sharing

:bcb_bigsm

Thanks for your prompt reply Carla. I think/make that hope, I might have the same recipe -- butter, brown sugar, cinnamon in the pan first. *The brown sugar didn't quite cover the bottom of the pan, so I "finger sprinkled" on a bit more. Since I'm taking it for others to eat, I didn't concern myself over exact measurements. I did use the Texas Toast. And -- the 6 slices were a perfect size to fit the pan.

Thanks for sharing the Sausage Gravey Biscuit recipe. Had I not already told the hostess I planned to bring the Baked French Toast I'd have tried it out tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to all Boot Camp Buddies that view this thread.

Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it in has passed.

Carol

Guest Hailey

This sounds awesome, I was looking for a point friendly version of the baked french toast as I will be serving it with a quiche, and fruit salad as well.