Health Discovery Network
kimmibear

Can a Trainer Help Me??

Okay, I've been kind of aimlessly doing my own thing workout wise since Jan 06. Prior to that I had a personal trainer, but I couldn't keep one up for multiple reasons (back in school, cost, ect.). But before I moved, I was attending a gym that had lots of exercise classes, so I mixed those in with my dvds and strength training. I've been doing OK by myself, but I really think it's time I got some help. I looked into trainers here, and they are like 3x more expensive then they were where I used to live and it's just not in the budget. I feel like I know how to exercise - but not how to put together a program for success. I have a gym, but no classes on a regular basis - but all the cardio and weights (nautilus and free weights) you could ask for (it seems anyway). I also have lots of DVDs at home (turbo jam, taebo, billy's bootcamp, biggest loser, ect.).

I tend to work out anywhere from 3 to 5 days a week. Usually, tuesday/thursday I go to a dance class. The other days...I just do whatever. I really don't have a rhyme or reason...I just do something..so either cardio or weights or both or a dvd.

Can someone kind of suggest a routine that I could do to get some kind of program going? I am pretty fit in the cardio area - I can run 5K. And I'm a pear shape. Any advice at all would be appreciated

There are tons of *free* workout programs on the internet! You could try other forums for ideas. Usually weightlifting boards and/or sites have good ideas. I personally have done Body for Life in the past (http://www.bodyforlife.com) and LOVED it and saw realy good results. I like to have a set regimented program...where you do this on this day and that on that day. There are tons of good programs out there. And if you can't find one on the internet, try the bookstore. Definitely cheaper than a trainer! :)

Christena

SW: 193

CW: 193

GW: 130

Thanks Christena! I will look into the body for life program :) I too am looking for something more regimented than what I am currently doing. I think I"m getting to the point where I need to get more on a training schedule.

Kimmi,

You might want to try doing a schedule for the week. Like, say, you will do the dance on Tuesday and Thursday, on Monday and Friday you will do a strength training video or go to your gym and do the circuit. At my old gym, they had like 12 machines that were in the "circuit" that I did about 2 or 3 times a week. Check to see if your gym has something like that. Then maybe on Saturday or Sunday go for a long walk or a run. Just have an actual schedule that you will stick to. That is what I have been trying to do and it seems to help.

Brooke ~ HW: 217.0 ~ SW: 211.6 (10/24/09)~ CW: 208.2 (as of 12/12/09) ~ WWGW: 155 ~ PGW: 145

What are your goals? Do you want to increase strength? Improve your 5k time? Increase your distance? Improve core strength/balance?

What are your goals? Do you want to increase strength? Improve your 5k time? Increase your distance? Improve core strength/balance?

All of them! But seriously, my main goals are to:

1. Run a sub-35 min 5K by April (my birthday) (currently around 39 minutes)

2. Run a 10K race by the end of 2007 (never attempted)

I just started really running again in November of this year. I never did a couch to 5K or anything like that b/c I realized quickly that I was a more advanced runner than those programs assume you are to start with. So I just started running (very Forrest Gumpish, lol). So I really don't have a "training" program for running aside from well...running, lol.

Brooke, that's a great idea. I think that's kind of what I'm looking for, but I want one that will make sense for what I want to accomplish long term. I guess that's what I"m looking for help with - figuring out what kinds of exercise/running/whatever things I should put into my workout rotation.

Okay, based on your goals, here is my advice. However, take it with a grain (or five) of salt, b/c I'm not a personal trainer. I taught fitness classes for awhile and worked around a bunch of PTs, but have no real credentials other than reading a lot and loving fitness. :)

2x/wk (never two days in a row) Strength Training: Because you're a runner, I recommend high rep, low weight stuff. (You'll find conflicting advice on this, but personally, I run better if I'm not lifting too heavy) You're still working to failure, but you should do sets of 16-20, so you'll be using lighter weights so you can get all reps in. I personally love free weights for this rather than machines. Also, the FIRM and Tracie Long Training are great if you want home videos.

1x/wk Speedwork: no more than 2 miles, do either fartleks (random lengths of speedbursts at random intervals) or measured speedwork. Look for more info on speedwork at CoolRunnings. You never want to go "all out" during your speed intervals, just crank it up a little to challenge yourself.

1x/wk Maintanence Run: This is your 5k at a comfortable speed--this isn't your day to push it.

1x/wk "Long" Run: This is the day you push distance, not speed. Work up in mileage no more than 1/2 to 1/4 mile per week--you have time and this assures you won't injure yourself. Feel free to run a little more slowly than maintanence on this run.

I'd add ab work to your Speedwork and Maintanence run days.

Also, if you have a super busy week, you can do your strength training on those days (but not your long run day), but I recommend keeping at 5 days if possible.

Good luck!!

That's really helpful Leshia :) Especially speedwork...I really never thought about that. I do take an hour long dance class 2x a week after work...so I really don't know how to work this in. I can do cardio after dance b/c there is a gym in my apt complex. But no weights (the gym has cardio but very very limited weight lifting capabilities. And some times I'm so worn out after dance that I don't know if I could handle doing anything after. I could do something like this though:

Sun - long run

Mon - weights and maintenance run

Tues - dance

Wed - speed work and core work

Thurs - dance

Fri - rest day

Sat - rest day

With the option of mixing the days up (maybe switching Wed with Fri or Sat). Thoughts?

Hi, Kimmi,

I agree with the others that putting yourself on a schedule is your best bet. But treat those "appointments" with the same commitment as if you were meeting with (and paying) a personal trainer. I no longer run long distances, so I can't speak to that goal of yours, but it looks like Leshia has experience there. On the day you both run AND strength-train, do your running first. a) It will serve as your warmup and b) if you did your strength-training first, you wouldn't have the reserves left for your distance run.

If you only do one day of strength training per week (which is fine, by the way), you should do a whole-body workout, with at least one exercise per major muscle group (legs, lower back, chest, upper back, abs, biceps, triceps, and shoulders), for 2 sets of 12-15 reps (or 15-20 with lighter weights). Stick with your "program" for 12 sessions or about 6 weeks, and then change the exercises (to keep from getting bored and/or stalled)

Otherwise, I think your proposed schedule looks good. Variety is the spice of life, and you are definitely building that in.

Good luck,

Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png