Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
MRSchultz

Closet eater - help.

I'm here for some help. I just realized that I'm a full-blown closet eater. I eat whenever I'm alone and it's not the good stuff either.

I exercise and eat good all day, but once I'm alone at home or work, etc. I eat! Even after I put my son to bed my body just moves right to the fridge - UGH!?!?!?!

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Marcia.

187(start)/187(now)/150WW/135P<br /><br />Be Smart, Do It For YOURSELF!

Howdy,

It's a good first step to recognize and admit that this is a problem for you. But what to do about it?

--Plan for a snack or two during these tough times during the day -- if its already planned you may be less likely to go graze in the refridgerator. And if you're at work, only have your planned snack in your office, no other food. If its not there, you can't eat it!

-- "Close" the kitchen for the night after you put your son to bed -- turn the lights off, close the door, and don't go back in for any reason.

--Brush your teeth before you put your son to bed.

--Plan a reward for yourself if you can get through a whole week without "cheating." I often find rewards are more attractive to me than the doughnut sitting on the counter at work.

--try "switching"--everytime you feel like going to the fridge do something else you enjoy -- listen to your favourite song, knit, do a craft, read a magazine, call a friend, play a videogame, come to BCB.

I hope that helps -- and good luck!

Teresa

wave.gif

Started WW 07/08/02

239.5/151.5/155

GOAL!!!! March 1, 2004 LIFETIME!!! April 19, 2004

My photos

I've had problems with binging in the past. Mechanically eating tons of food I don't need, want or even like. For myself, it wasn't until I brought the issue out of the closet that it stopped. I found that if no one knew I was safe to binge. Try talking to a friend or relative about it, and I'm you will find that their support and understanding will help you through it.

Our meeting this week is on "Weeding your weight management garden featuring "SWITCHING" Tool for Living (from week 1 book).

I'm the same. I'm alone at home all the time and I can do great so much of the day, but at night I get into a "mood" and want to eat - like last night. I don't eat things like chips/pop, etc., but I eat too much OP. food! I'm always struggling with it.

Keeping busy helps, and once the weather gets realy great I'll do some walking in the evening too.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

Guest Boombie

I have had some recent experience with binges...as you are probably already aware, they are not caused by physical "hunger"...they are psychological...is there something that you are trying to escape by bingeing? I found that my bingeing was caused by anxiety...you need to be conscious of it, or you will mindlessly keep eating...it may not hurt to keep bottles of water on hand and keep yourself full that way, it may prevent any extra room for excessive food...also try to distract yourself...if you feel the desire to binge, call a friend, go shopping, go for a walk, or do anything that will distract you from thinking about the food that you shouldn't be eating...I have found that as soon as I became conscious of this problem, it hasn't occurred anymore...

VERY SERIOUSLY--learn to knit or crochet or cross-stitch or needlepoint!!! I enjoy relaxing at night and watching TV--as lots of us do--and have found that the food ads on TV really trigger my "need" for snacking. If I keep my water glass full and my hands busy I can get through those hours after dinner much easier with out snacking. And when I find myself getting up and going toward the kitchen, I remember to grab that water glass, empty it on the way to the fridge, and fill it up from the water pitcher I keep in the fridge. Kind of makes me feel like I've gotten something to eat without REALLY getting something. Sometimes it's all about tricking ourselves into breaking those bad habits!! I also keep bags of those small baby carrots in the fridge and snack on those. The hand-to-mouth need is satisfied as well as the crunchy, munchy craving. It's lots better than chips!!! Keep up the good work, and fight the good fight!! wave.gif

"The only one who can stop me is me---and I can take her!"

ginnyb (aka loves2cook!) "It's not the falling down, it's the staying down!!"

I recently joined OA and I'm working on not obsessing about food. I'm a binge eater and a mindless eater. And I have discovered that, without a doubt, I use grazing on food to avoid focusing on other things I need or want to do. That may sound simple to someone who is not a compulsive eater, but to someone who does use food in this manner, it is a not-so-pleasant revelation. It means you have to focus on whatever it is that you are avoiding---be it problem finances, relationships & people, responsibilities like housework or unpleasant tasks...or even on things you WANT to do but you don't feel you can get it all together. "It's too much trouble to pull out that crocheting I was working on a year ago"..."I can't start that project; I'm too tired/it's too late in the evening to start it/I'll do it tomorrow"...It's a lot easier just to grab a box of cookies or a gallon of ice cream and just "space out."

As a result of years of not fully realizing that I was obsessing about food to avoid responsibilities and "life," my finances are in a mess, my health has been affected by excess weight, & relationships have suffered. Food is no longer my friend. It can be pleasureable but then so can lots of other things in life. I used it for my own individual reasons in the past, but I'm no longer satisfied with that.

And in order to not focus on food, I make a food plan each night to map out what I'm going to eat the next day within my WW points. Sounds restrictive, but actually it is freeing. The decision is made, it's on paper, and I don't have to "scout" around the kitchen to decide what I'm going to have the next day--especially when I'm hungry. And I'm also planning my meals based on what I have available and what's on sale in the stores--pretty smart, I think.

Sooooo....I'm trading reckless, dangerous freedom with food for responsible, productive freedom FROM food.

Just thought I'd share in case this is your situation, Marcia. You've gotten some great advice, and asking for help is one important step. Habits are hard to break, but knowledge and insight into ourselves and our motivation is the very 1st step. I wish the best for you, buddy and I know you'll succeed if you really want to. thumbup.gif

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

That is so true Katie, I couldn't have said it better. You've got some real true feelings or observations from the OA meetings.Getting to the root of the problem I think is so hard and seeing it plain as day in front of me gives it so much clarity. I swear, we can be going out to do something fun and still I'll rush into the kitchen and grab a bite of whatever and I'M NOT HUNGRY.

Marcia, I posted this for you on the wrong category. I put it on 100 lbs, instead of WW general questions. Check it out.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=018005

[ March 31, 2004, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: djw ]

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Thanks Donna,

That was a great article. smile.gif

Marcia.

187(start)/187(now)/150WW/135P<br /><br />Be Smart, Do It For YOURSELF!

Originally posted by SSKatie:

And in order to not focus on food, I make a food plan each night to map out what I'm going to eat the next day within my WW points. Sounds restrictive, but actually it is freeing. The decision is made, it's on paper, and I don't have to "scout" around the kitchen to decide what I'm going to have the next day--especially when I'm hungry. And I'm also planning my meals based on what I have available and what's on sale in the stores--pretty smart, I think.

I find it helpful to tentatively plan my meals & points ahead of time, too. It helps me to avoid those terrible surprises when I enter the lunch I already ate on WW online & discover I've already used all my points for the day. crazy.gif

Ya-ya name: Queen Glimmering Moon<br /><br />Age 47<br />5' 7 1/2"<br />SW: 160<br />CW: 149<br />GW: 150

hey

wow this is a wonderful dialoge all great answers I too am a compulsive eater. I remember even as a child hidding food and eating alone in secret.

My answer is doing habbies such as crocheting and knitting . which has already been mentioned but also I make myself some popcorn at night (legal). So I have it all prepared and watch tv and nibble . All within my point level.

Hope this helps

roberta:)

one day at a time one pound at a time. some days one second at a time:)<br />sw 247.4 cw 232 gw 136

Thank you for posting this, and thank you for all of the wonderful responses! I have been a closet eater all of my life. I would be embarassed when I wanted one more cookie, or the last slice of pizza, and not want to share it with anybody! It was/is a very selfish feeling for me, and I want to get over it! I know I am consuming calories for something I cannot even enjoy because I have to sneak it and stuff it into my mouth. I believe if I can attack this problem head on I can create a big breakthrough with my binge eating. I tend to binge after the kids have gone to bed and my husband is at work.

One more thing, and I will end this novel. My WW leader (I now do WW at Home) mentioned something that I plan to adopt immediately. It is H.A.L.T. We should HALT and wonder why we want to eat. Are we Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired? If it is anything but hunger, try to find solutions to the other three. My goal this week is to H.A.L.T. when I find myself gravitating towards the fridge (or the vending machine at work).