Health Discovery Network
angelam_75

Ankle Weights..

Thought I'd ask you exercise guru's over here if any of you know... I bought some 2.5 lb ankle weights, and thought I would wear them while I walk/jog the track. But when I opened the box, it said that they are NOT to be used while walking or running. That you should only use them during aerobic exercise and/or weight training. Does anyone know why? Is it too hard on your knees or what? TIA buddies!!! :bcb_bigsm

~~Angela

5'2"

Highest Weight-176

CW 154 :bcb_cry:

GW 130

www.picturetrail.com/angelam_75

Because an exercise like running is very cardio and "leg intensive", extra weight is bad for your joints. The same is true for holding dumbells while walking and swinging your arms.

In a sense, your legs are getting a strength workout while you are running and weights are overkill.

The weights can be useful for strength work though...

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

i think you better re-think that too sistah- eh eh! you dont want to hurt yourself.

were you going to try and impress me with some hugely sculpted muscles?

Anna B. :bcb_cool2

Hi, Angela,

Yeah, sorry, but ankle weights while running are a definite no-no. Our bodies are designed to carry weight around our core - think weight belts, vests, and backpacks (like soldiers in the army). To run with weights at your extremities is to invite joint injuries. You CAN use ankle weights for weight training exercises, where you are doing slow, controlled motions (think lying leg lifts, or glute kickbacks). THey are terrific in that way.

For hand weights, I wouldn't go heavier than 3 lbs, and ONLY for walking (no running with those, either....) Otherwise, if you want to increase the intensity of your workouts, use a weight belt or weighted vest.

I hope this helps.

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

I agree with Amy. We are not designed to have extra weight at the ends of our limbs such as ankle weight etc. do. It's hard on your joints and your back. That's why we carry heavy loads close to the body. Ankle weights especially can be hard on your knees & ankles. It's not worth the risk.

Some people do walk with hand weights but you'll notice they carry them close to their bodies. It doesn't really do strength training though -- the weights are too small. It can intensify your cardio by getting your upper body involved. The FIRM does "4 limb" aerobics this way, always with light weights.

The ankle weights are great for leg extensions and leg lifts (floor work) that are designed with weights in mind.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

That reminds me of when I was a group fitness instructor at a women's only gym. The personal trainer on staff there was working with two women over at the high school track - doing laps & running the stairs with ankle weights on. I was SHOCKED because that was covered in the basic class I had to take to get my certification!! Made me wonder where her cert came from!

Heidi

SW: 244.8

CW: 239.4

Thanks guys... I guess I got it in my head because every night when I go to the track, there is this young guy (not exactly an overweight 30 something with crappy knees, but hey) Who is just booking it around that track with huge ankle weights on. And his legs are oh so nice....(not that I am looking or anything...)

I did decide to keep them for leg lifts and such. SO, as far as the hand weights go, they are 3 lbs each. IF I did decide to carry them with me when I'm walking close to the body, as Nancy mentioned, what would that benefit? or would I just be better off swinging my arms like when you power walk? THanks again!

~~Angela

5'2"

Highest Weight-176

CW 154 :bcb_cry:

GW 130

www.picturetrail.com/angelam_75

Hm, I've been using ankle and wrist weights for a few months when I do my eliptical because I've maxed out the resistance because I've been doing it for so long and I needed more of a challenge. Is it bad for that too? What else can I do if I don't use those?

Thanks guys...IF I did decide to carry them with me when I'm walking close to the body, as Nancy mentioned, what would that benefit? or would I just be better off swinging my arms like when you power walk? THanks again!

Carrying the weights close to your body while walking can help increase the intensity of the workout for your heart and lungs...i.e. your heart rate will be higher than if you didn't use them. I sometimes use 3 lb dumbbells in this manner while walking on a treadmill, because just walking (even at a high incline and a fast pace) doesn't get my heart rate up enough, and running is out of the question for my knees. But adding those little dumbbells does the trick.

- Jennifer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Hm, I've been using ankle and wrist weights for a few months when I do my eliptical because I've maxed out the resistance because I've been doing it for so long and I needed more of a challenge. Is it bad for that too? What else can I do if I don't use those?

Hmnnn....ellipticals don't invoke the same forces on our knees and ankles that running on a treadmill does, but I would still rather see you carry the weight on your hips or torso, to be conservative.... So, instead of ankle weights, try using a weight belt or a weighted vest (though these can get hot....) Or, you could try just a regular backpack with some weight in it (books?). That would be my recommendation.

- Jennifer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png