Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
DoctorTammy6798

Can someone please explain what's going on

I started WW at home 7 weeks ago. I had 30 pounds that I wanted to lose. I lost weight (a couple pounds) the first few weeks. I workout every day (have done this for 9 years) at the upper end of my target heart zone for at least 30 minutes (i.e. usually intense exercise). I also do strength training and/or weight lifting. Upon advie from some of the people here, I began eating my APs a few weeks ago. I am just now (two days ago ) adding a couple flex points per day because I've never eaten them before. My TP is 22 per day. During week 5, I went from 166 lbs. to 164 (two weeks ago today). I weighed 164 (plus or minus a pound) for over 8 days. Suddenly, last Sunday I shot to 166 and have been there for the past 5 days. I have changed nothing other than beginning to eat most of all of my APs. WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON??? This means I haven't really had a weight loss at ALL in two weeks. I've been meticulous about not eating ANYTHING that is remotely unhealthy and exacting about countint points. So many people recommended this program and I simply am not seeing the sorts of results they all touted. My doctor lost 30 pounds in three months. I'm in week 7 and have lost 9, but actually haven't lost any weight since week 5. :( I don't understand why this has stalled on me after such a short period of time. I am willing to stay on the program to lose weight and will give this a few more weeks. But honestly, who wants to do ANY program if they don't see consistent results? I would love to hear any suggestions or advice you might offer. THANKS!

Guest imported_Kelly_S

First off you either are not now or were not before eating enough for your activity level and your body is all confused. Give it a few more weeks and eat your APs and some to all of your FPs. W/W didn't and wouldn't give us points we couldn't eat.

Remember with a change to your activity (increase or decrease of intensity, new activity) your muscles will retain water until they adjust and thus many times we show gains or maintains for 2-3 weeks after we start exercising.

There are other things to check:

1) Where in your points range are you eating? Most people find they lose better when eating mid-range to high-range. Especially if you are exercising you need to eat toward the high end and not the low end. The reason is because your body thinks it is starving and slows down your metabolism and holds on to the calories you intake.

2) What are you spending your points on? Review the POINTSPIES (Also make sure you get in some REAL fat (butter, margarine, mayo, real salad dressing, etc). I had subconsciously removed almost all fat from my diet and had plateaued for SIX (count them 6) months. Make sure you get in some fat.

3) Are you drinking your water?

4) Are you eating alot of processed foods (canned, frozen, etc.) which contain alot of sodium which causes water retention. What about diet sodas? They can cause bloating and water rentention.

5) Are you exercising? Have you taken your measurements to see if you are building muscle while losing? Remember muscle weighs 2.2 times more than fat volume for volume (this means for a 3”x3” piece of muscle and a 3”x3” piece of fat the muscle will be 2.2 times heavier). If you are exercising remember to eat high in your point range.

6) Are you journaling? This includes every BLT (bite, lick and taste). Those BLTs can add up in 'hidden' points. My leader suggested for each BLT or freebie to put a tick mark in your journal and for each 4-5 add 1 point to your day.

7) Are you calculating points correctly? Ninety percent of new members don't count points correctly. I have a favorite muffin and until last week (I've been on program for almost 2 years) I just realized my 3 point muffin is really 6 points because it is 2 servings. Make sure you use the nutritional information rather than the 'generic' list W/W puts out. You'll find alot of differences.

And ensure you are eating by one of the PointsPies:

Balanced (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8-9 points a day

Protein-rich Foods – 6-7 points a day

Fruits and Veggies – 0-3 points a day

Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day

Milk and Milk Products – 4-6 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Protein (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 5-6 points a day

Protein-rich Foods – 9-11 points a day

Fruits and Veggies – 0-1 points a day

Fats, added sugars – 2-4 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Carb (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 9-10 points a day

Protein-rich Foods – 5-7 points a day

Fruits and Veggies – 1-3 points a day

Fats, added sugars – 1-2 points a day

20-28 points a day

-----

Balanced (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 11 points a day

Protein-rich Foods – 10 points a day

Fruits and Veggies – 3-4 points a day

Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Protein (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8 points a day

Protein-rich Foods – 12 points a day

Fruits and Veggies – 2-3 points a day

Fats, added sugars – 4-5 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Carb (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 13 points a day

Protein-rich Foods – 8 points a day

Fruits and Veggies – 2-4 points a day

Fats, added sugars – 3 points a day

30-34 points a day

Hi! Thanks for your reply. In answer to some of your questions: I'm on flex points so there is only Target Points. I eat my 22 Target Points, plus I'm now eating my activity points. I average between 23 and 30 activity points per week. I began eating one or two flex points per day just two days ago. I'm very TYPE A, so I journal every bite of everything. I believe that I'm counting points correctly because I check EVERY label of everything and know exactly how much each SERVING is for every food I eat. I also keep my measuring cups out and measure all my food. I don't eat junk food. I have been drinking 6-9 glasses of water per day, I eat 5-6 vegetable/fruit servings per day. I have one to two diet sodas per day. I don't eat much processed food at all. I eat high fiber everything. I don't even eat regular white rice or pasta anymore. I have noticed that I'm probably not getting enough fat (good grief--I wouldn't touch REAL mayo or butter!) and I'm also more vegetarian in my eating (little to no red meat or chicken) so I've been eating tons of seafood (tuna and salmon) and some soy protein to help with that. I tend to retain water BADLY, so I don't salt anything I eat and try to watch sodium content in all the foods I eat. I haven't added up my day to see exactly which pointspie I category I fall into. I know it sounds as though I must not be doing something or I wouldn't have hit a plateau so quickly. Honestly, I didn't have any trouble from day one counting the points. The literature is self explanatory. I don't let myself eat "indulgent" foods. I had ONE oreo cookie (probably the only one I've eaten in the past year) a few weeks ago. I also allow myself an occasional serving of non-fat, no sugar added ice cream. Otherwise, I totally eat fresh fruits/vegetables, fish protein and high fiber carbs. (i.e. here's a rundown of one day from earlier this week--lowfat cottage cheese and bran flakes for breakfast, protein bar and pear for lunch, lowfat popcorn for snack, steamed plain broccoli, a veggie burger (4.5 pts) and large amount of lettuce with fatfree dressing for dinner, some tuna as a snack, and a grapefruit and serving of bran cereal later that evening as a snack. ) Is this not good? The points were 24.5 for the day and that was .5 less than what I could have eaten because I earned 3 AP that day.

Guest imported_Kelly_S

You may be getting more calories than you think with the high fiber foods.

I tend to vary my foods and not deprive myself of things I enjoy. I have something sweet daily but I also make sure I eat BY THE NUMBERS/POINTSPIES and find that I need to eat all my points. All TPs, FPs, and APs each week or I don't lose.

I added up my calories yesterday just to see what I was eating and they totalled about 1475 and I ate 27 points. If I figure points correctly, is there a reason I shouldn't be eating high fiber? I only average a few servings per day. I have some gastrointestinal problems and that is one reason for my eating everything in a high fiber version. I eat 1.4 servings of bran flakes for breakfast. (155 calories, over 4 dietary fiber and less than 1 fat--is this not 2 points??) The brown rice I eat is 150 calories, 2 fiber, 1 fat. This is 3 points? The whole wheat pasta I eat is 190 cal, over 4 fiber and 1 fat--which is also 3? If the points are correct, I'm a bit confused about the problem with high fiber. I thought the points worked regardless of what type of food you were eating as long as you calculated the calories/fiber/fat accurately. Can someone explain this?

Tammy - You're right, all points for any food is calculated based on calories/fat/fiber (I don't have my points slider with me, but the calculations you gave for the brown rice etc., sound right to me). Here are my thoughts:

Are you sure you're calculating your AP's correctly?

If you're working out that intensely, you very well may need to add more food (all of your AP's and even more flex than you've been dipping into). I have a formula (at home :rolleyes: - someone may have it here though) that tells you how many calories you need based on your current weight just to sustain life. Lately, I've been keeping track of my points as well as calories in/calories out. Basically, the formula has you calculate the calories you need to live, and then adds so many more depending on your lifestyle (desk job vs. landscaper that kind of thing) and after you find the total that's right for you, you then factor in calories expended on exercise and work it backwards deducting 500 calories (with diet and exercise) for every pound (might be half pound) you want to lose in a week not to exceed 1-2 pounds a week. I'm using this as a gauge in addition to my points just to see where it falls, because bottom line -- it's all about expending more calories than what you're taking in.

Sounds like you're eating healthy -- I think Kelly has a good point (well, lots of them actually!!) about adding some good fats into your diet.

How often do you change up your workout routine? Maybe that needs shaken up a bit ??

Hmmm - that's about all I can think of for now. If anything else comes to me, I'll let ya know.

~ Kellie

5'10" SW 243/CW 212/WW 174/PG 160

~~Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain

Oh -- and one more thing, don't give up on this. It truly works, just need to figure some things out. Patience buddy!!! tongue.gif

~~Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain

Kellie---Thanks so much! I would LOVE to have the info you're using to calculate basic calories needed based on weight, exercise, etc. I lost 70 pounds 9 years ago (and kept it off) just by exercising and eating lowfat. I never even counted calories. I felt I needed a change to "shake up my body" this time around though. I do change my workout routine daily. Today I'm debating between a 20 minute exercycle ride with a 45 minute cardio FIRM tape following it OR a 35 minute cardio step aerobics followed by a half hour of upper body weight training. I'll probably throw in at least 10-20 mins of AB training for good measure. I am a college professor and don't teach classes until tonight so I have time for some serious workout time today. I have really increased my workout intensity and length since starting WW. I normally did about 30 moderate or moderate to light about 6-7 days per week just because I'd gotten lazy. Now I'm trying for 30-60 of moderate to intense 6-7 days per week. My schedule is arranged so that I can have longer workouts at least 4 days per week. smile.gif

Tammy: Kudos to you for having lost and maintained for 9 years!! That's great! I'll bring that info into the office tomorrow and get back to you on it. Sounds like you're definitely changing up your workouts -- that in and of itself got me off a plataeu. I'm becoming more convinced that you're not eating enough -- I'll be curious to see how this shakes out for you, so you'll have to keep me posted. Enjoy your workout today and hang in there!

~ Kellie

Guest KLM

Don't give up! It is worthit even if this has been a rough week.

I have two things I would like you to consider:

1) Is it close to your monthly time? I tend to "gain" 2-5 lbs. for at least 7-10 days before and during TOM. Within a day or two of it ending I am usually back down where I was before.

2) I cannot drink two much diet soda because I stop losing or even gain weight. Diet soda has a lot of salt in it and that will make you retain water.

If it is not one of the two things above, just keep at it. The body can be a tricky thing. WW does work, give it time. keep in mind everything else that folks have suggested. The answer is there somewhere.

tongue.gif

Guest judyo53

I never lost weight on an even keel. Last year, when I did The Wendie Plan, I lost 4 lbs. the first week & another 2 the next week. Stayed at that same weight for 6 weeks until I lost another 2 lbs. And it kept happening like that until I lost the 22 total lbs.

I think it was because I just wasn't eating enough & this time around (I gained the weight back because of several things, one was a major back problem that plaqued me for months) I'm doing Flex Points & have started at a higher target than suggested. Last year I was also working out very intensely & not eating any AP's. So I think I was in a constant "starvation mode" & my body would hang onto the weight until it finally had to drop it after some point.

Guest girlinmotion

You sound a bit like me. Very much a stickler to a healthy, mostly vegetarian high fiber diet. Very intense exercise most days... I do all that. And here are some observations about my weight loss journey (I've been a maintaining lifetimer for about a year):

1. My weight loss was not linear. But if I made a graph it was a steady but bumpy downward slope. I averaged 1.1 pounds per week, but that included gains, maintains, little losses and big losses.

2. I had better, more consistent losses when I ate every point available to me. Yep. All of them. Every AP, and every single Flex point.

3. I had even better losses when I varied my points from day to day. This worked with my life too. I'd go out for dinner on a weekend and eat my target 20+10flex+7AP. On weekdays I'd stick with my 20+APs.

4. Hormones, salt, sore muscles, and high stress all effected my weight loss progress week-to-week.

You have lost an average of 1.3 pounds per week. Considering that healthy weight loss (which is what WW is designed for) is a rate of 0.5 to 2 pounds per week, you are doing PERFECTLY. Just don't expect a linear result. And be GLAD you aren't one of the people that loses only 0.5 pounds per week, that takes patience!!

You may have hit a plateau, but give your body a chance to adjust to your new routine and the scale will eventually budge. Check out the excellent plateau busters on:

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/15Plateau_tips.htm

Remember it is worth the wait. Focus on why you are doing this, to be healthier. It isn't about how long it takes, it is about changing your lifestyle slowly. Stick with the increase in points a bit longer, and maybe add even a few more for the next week. Vary your points from day to day. Ensure you are spending at least 2 points per day on healthy fats (nuts, nut butters, salmon, olive oil etc) every day.

Those are my best tips and advice! I hope it helps. Keep up the great work. Your eating and exercise choices are fantastic thumbup.gif bcbsalute.gif

I'll second GirlInMotion's post:

1. Add nuts (good fats, a few more calories and additional protein to help your muscles repair after your workouts.)

2. Eat more (counterintuitive, I know!) I'd start by adding a handful of nuts and more veggies and fruit. I also didn't see any dairy in your diet. There's a lot of evidence that dairy actually helps in weight loss, and that is certainly true in my case.

3. Shake up the daily points, just like you are varying your exercise. Same theory, the body is very efficient and as soon as it figures out what you are doing, it finds the least calorie burning way to meet your needs. Same for food. It will run happily on fewer calories if it thinks it isn't going to get them. So you stop losing weight even though you aren't eating very much at all. By mixing things up (35 point days some day, 25 the next) your body will avoid starvation mode.

Good luck and keep us posted.

...Kathryn

...Kathryn

(181/ 170/ 138)

(HW/CW/GW)

Been to goal three times using WW, twice for over a year but I'm way older this time and feel like I'm at war with my body. Height 64.5"

Just wanted to add that it seems like you are like I used to be...a chronic weigher...Try to stay off the scale excpet for your Weigh Ins (or weekly if you do it at home) That's made a huge difference for me.

Like you, I stick to a very high fiber mostly vegetarian diet...Unlike many here though, I found eating at the high end just didn't work for me...I finally talked about it with my leader last week and she said she is the same way...that she can't eat more than 24 points a day or she will gain...So experiment a little...Also, you may need to drink more water than others do if you are eating a lot of fiber...

Another thing that worked really well for me was changing the routine...different foods, different exercise regimen, etc...

You guys are just great! Girlinmotion & Kathryn--I read your posts just after I had made some changes that you ended up suggesting. smile.gif I actually at 33 points (YIKES! that meant 7 FP!)last Friday and by Monday, the scale had finally moved down a few pounds. I have begun eating nuts every day. I think this has helped. Someone asked about dairy. I eat cottage cheese every day and some cheese, but milk has made me ill since childhood and I can't even stand the smell of it now, so that's why my dairy is pretty low. Yogurt is okay, but it seems to affect my blood sugar in ways I don't like, so I've not eaten it lately. I'm up a couple pounds the past 2-3 days and I know it's water retention (almost that time of the month AND sodium). I took girlinmotion's advice and looked back over every week and noticed that my lowest weights each week are typically a pound or so lower than the week before. I seem to lose weight and then suddenly I'm a couple pounds heavier for a few days. THEN, my weight is down a bit. Is this normal? I've decided that I will have to eat more to lose weight because I calculated the calories I burn (basic usage plus an average workout) and I simply was not eating enough food. If 1 point is about 50 calories, then 22 points is about 1100. That isn't even considered healthy for someone of my weight and activity level! I wish WW had explained this a little better in the literature. They make it sound as though all FP are totally optional and eating just TP everyday is perfectly healthy, since I didn't see the 1 point=50 calories info anywhere. People eating 20 points are consuming 1000 calories per day which I don't consider an adequate amount of food for an adult female. I only ate 15 FP last week but I'm trying for that many or more this week. I earned about 27 AP last week. I think some days I may count my AP one point lower than I could, but I don't want to err on the high side. Do you guys REALLY eat all your FP AND AP (even if you are workout junkies)?? That seems so incredible to me. I can't imagine being able to eat that much food AND lose weight. It would be a dream come true.

[ April 08, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: DoctorTammy6798 ]

Guest imported_Kelly_S

20 points = 1150 calories

22 points = 1250 calories

24 points = 1350 calories

25 points = 1400 calories

26 points = 1450 calories

27 points = 1500 calories

28 points = 1550 calories

29 points = 1600 calories

31 points = 1700 calories

33 points = 1800 calories

35 points = 1900 calories (Flex Points)

This is not always true because of fat and fiber but it is close. Also the thing to remember is that it does not include the 200-250 calories a day W/W built into the program for free veggies and/or freebies that they give you (you know that one serving of sugar free jello or Cool Whip Free).

BTW this is what was in the leaders manual during the 1-2-3 Success Program:

18-25 points = 1050-1400 calories

20-27 points = 1150-1500 calories

22-29 points = 1250-1600 calories

24-31 points = 1350-1700 calories

26-33 points = 1450-1800 calories

28-35 points = 1550-1900 calories

And I redid the list to show no ranges.

Guest imported_Kelly_S

I eat on average about 27-30 points a day and lose! It depends on how hungry I am and what I am eating too.

Kelly.S thanks for explaining the PointPies. I am doing WW at home and never knew that. So thanks that will be a lot of help.

Docter Tammy good luck with WW, we know you can do this. Plateu's are always frustrating, we are all here for you if you need more support. Hooray for sticking with it other people would quit after the first week of gaining. I also agree with the others you are probably not eating enough for the amount you workout. But good for you for working out so hard.

Aya: born Jan. 30, 2001

Danya: born Jun. 10, 2004

Starting Date: Oct. 15, 2007

SW:185.5lbs

GW:125 lbs

weight.png