Health Discovery Network
Minarets41

Ouch...(Long, sorry!)

I have always been clumsy. I trip, stumble, and fall on a pretty regular basis, and I've gotten the technique of how to fall softly down to a science. Sad but true.

So anyway, I was at the gym last Friday and doing my usual run on the treadmill. I had pretty much zoned out and was not thinking at all about the actual way my body was moving. My arm caught the headphone wire to my iPod and sent the body of the iPod flying onto the floor behind me. This all happened in a nano-second and I reacted without thinking. I spun around on the treadmill (while it was still going at a 5.3 setting) and somehow managed to get to the back of the treadmill while still on two feet, but then lost my balance and twisted in a bungled heap toward the floor while reaching for my stranded iPod. I got back up, walked a bit more and was then forced to leave the gym out of shear humiliation.

The next day (Saturday) my back hurt very badly and has ever since. I went to a chiropractor on Thursday, but he was horrible and did not help at all. It is still very sore, but tends to feel better if I move a bit.

So here's my question:

Can I go back to the treadmill while my back still hurts? I've only done one workout this week (and it was a yoga tape) because I am worried about doing more damage. But if it feels better when I move, then it should be okay to maybe walk on the treadmill, right? Any thoughts?

Kat

SW: 200

CW: 155

GW: 130

I'll go in this way and find my own way out...

I would try walking slower than normal and for a shorter time then you normally do. If it hurts, stop! I hurt my back a year ago and I know what kind of pain can result from that. Take care.

Started WW: March 27, 2006

Starting Weight/Current Weight/Goal Weight

225/215/200

I WILL get there!!!

I would try walking slower than normal and for a shorter time then you normally do. If it hurts, stop!
I agree. Best wishes!

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

Thanks for the advice, guys! I think I will just take it down a notch. :bcb_march

Kat

Hmnn...sounds like you pulled something, alright. I would take it very slow at first, and after your workout, if you can, ice it for a few minutes, just in case you re-inflame it. (If it hurts DURING your workout, stop immediately). See how the pain curve goes. If it seems to be getting better over the next few days, then you are OK to continue. If it starts hurting more, then you need to stop completely and let it heal. I'm talking like at least a week's layoff. And, while taking your time off, see if you can find some time to try alternating cold and hot compresses (to increase circulation) to the irritated area of your back.

If it is still hurting after a week's time, go see your doctor. Back pain really shouldn't be fooled around with - even if it seems to be muscle pain...

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Thanks Jennifer! I'm going to take it easy and see how it goes.

Kat