Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Andrea Kay

Do you believe the body has a "set point?"

Do you think that certain people are meant to weigh more than what is normal for their height, age, etc? I'm beginning to think that of myslef...I"ve been doing WW for 12 weeks and no matter how hard I try I CANNOT get below 169...I'm pretty active, I do cardio everyday and lift at least 3 times a week....I've been trying different point ranges just to see what happens....I'm supposed to be at 22 right now, but nothing is happening with that either. I would try not eating AP's and flex, but I don't want to get to maintenance and have to live off of like 22 points a day....I would starve!!!! Has anyone else experienced this before and believe they have a higher "set point" for their body? Or am I the only one out there???? Thanks guys!!

Andrea

Recommitted:6/17/04

173.8/168/164

WW Goal: 164 (4 lbs to go!)

10% Goal: 156.8 (9.8 lbs to go)

PG: 150 (18 lbs to go)

Andrea, I am "one of those people". I build muscle rather rapidly, and I will never have a petite, willow-y Gwyneth Paltrow-type of body. I have adjusted my expectations along with my body image, and since I am doing WW at home, I made the decision to not weigh myself until I am down a complete dress size.

The scale is only one measure of a person's weight, the tape measure counts as well. So does the percentage of body fat. My advice is to hang in there and be patient. You are doing the best you can for your body, and when I make the conscious decision to love and accept myself as I am, the body decides to take a shift downward, weightwise. Try it - the worst that can happen is that you have enhanced self-esteem!

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Guest imported_Kelly_S

No really that is a myth. What happens is your body will 'temporarily stop' at certain weights where you have maintained for a 'long time' prior to gaining more while you are trying to lose. I have hit several areas and after thinking about it I figured out it has been where I maintained that weight or size for a while. Keep at it and it will eventually give up and you'll lose some.

I though too will never have the 'tiny' body of some of our 'celebrities' because 1) I don't want it -- actually my goal weight is not a weight at all but a size and I'll even be outside the W/W suggest range when I reach it by 5 pounds and 2) because of the way I build muscle and 3) because of my shape.

Guest judyo53

Andrea,

I think Cordy & Kelly both gave you great answers. So please stick with it (if you go off program just because you're stuck you'll probably just start gaining the weight back). I believe that eventually your body will let go again.

I also wouldn't fool around with dropping points in thinking that will help. If you're not eating enough that could backfire, too. Plus you'll just feel like your "dieting" & will be very unhappy with the program.

Cordy-Your Picturetrail pics are no longer being shown, they're archived.

Thanks for all your help ladies! I'm going to stick with it....it's just frustrating to try so hard and not lose a thing. I know I don't want to put back on those 6 lbs that I have lost....at least that's better than nothing!!!

Andrea

Recommitted:6/17/04

173.8/168/164

WW Goal: 164 (4 lbs to go!)

10% Goal: 156.8 (9.8 lbs to go)

PG: 150 (18 lbs to go)

Andrea,

It seems as if you and I have a similar dilema. I too am 5'8" and NEVER will be a willowy person. I was a swimmer through college and have a very large, muscular frame. At 169, I will be wearing a size 8-10 (and most people would guess my weight to be around 125-130 :D )...like right????

My doctor said that you can't go straight by weight tables because there are many other factors to consider. Once I reach around 150, it will be very difficult to maintain anything below that...and now at my age, I can accept that.

My question to you is, "Where do You feel comfortable?"

Congratulations on your successes to date, and may you find your "comfort" zone!

Dee wave.gif

Began WW: 1-9-04

5'8"

207.6/161/158

10%: 3-11-04

BMI 31.7/24.5

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement.

Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

I too started WW at about 177, in about 16 weeks, have dropped about 21 pounds. I eat most of my flexs and AP. I think what helps me a lot is running. I used to run and started back after being OP about a month. I really think that is has helped me drop and has really helped my shape. Keep at it. Use your fit of your clothes as a judge too, the scale is not the only teller.

:cool: Kathy :cool:

SW: 177 CW: 153

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Made 10%: 3/23/04

WW Goal: 145 trying to get back

Height: 5'8"

Guest Jen815

I agree with the ladies above. The first time I was on WW way back after having my first child, I thought I was destined to weight 162, I stayed at that same weight for months. After I switched my exercise routine around a bit, it came off. I think my body just kinda of became immunue to what I was doing and I had to shake it up a bit if that makes sense. Eventually though, I'm sure the scale will start moving again for you! Hang in there! wave.gif

I suggest a wendie type plan. I definately think you need the AP's adn Flexies, but shaking things up seems to help. Try to eat all your AP's plus like 10 Flex points one day and then just your target the next. Mix it up with high and low point days and it will "trick" your metabolism into burning calories. Also, keep up the exercise, your building muscle and that adds weight, but you'll slim down and increase your metabolism at the same time, which will burn more calories in return. Also, do you drink all your water? Make sure to get it all in, it also speeds up your metabolism and flushes the salt out of your system.

-Christina

1st Goal: Size 18

weight.png

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.

-Dr. Phil

Guest imported_Kelly_S

You I think the Wendie Plan is a not a bad idea however (mind you I love Wendie she is a friend) however if you are listening to your body for hunger and activity levels you should already be eating different points every day anyway.

Originally posted by Kelly_S:

You I think the Wendie Plan is a not a bad idea however (mind you I love Wendie she is a friend) however if you are listening to your body for hunger and activity levels you should already be eating different points every day anyway.

Yeah, but....

When I did WW last time, I ate within a small range (I could only save 2 - 4 a day and was only allowed to use 10 extra at a time so my biggest range would be 25 one day, 35 the next and then 27 for the rest of the week.) That's not really shaking things up.

With Flex points on the other hand, I can eat my 24 target points on Monday, then have 34 on Tuesday, eat 24 on Wednesday and Thursday, start the weekend with a big 44 point Friday and then have 24 for Saturday and 29 for my Sunday.

When I first joined here I read about the Wendie plan and immediately gave it a try because it made so much sense to me. The weight seems to come off much more easily than before perhaps because I was finally listening to my body.

But the Wendie plan 'encouraged' me to listen to my body rather than follow a rigid plan day in, day out. I guess I needed 'permission' to do that.

...Kathryn

(181/ 170/ 138)

(HW/CW/GW)

Been to goal three times using WW, twice for over a year but I'm way older this time and feel like I'm at war with my body. Height 64.5"

What is the Wendie plan?

Michelle

5'5

12-01-03 Prior to WW-157

As of 1-28-04 SW-150.0

WWG 3-3-04 (141.4)

Lifetime 4-24-04

CW-130 (MADE IT 4-14-08! It's about time!) PWG-130

"I'd rather lose weight, than eat what's on that plate!"

The Wendie Plan:

It was a way of eating within WW that had you alternating between very high point days and low point days. It was to beat the body from reducing the metabolism to adjust to lower points by throwing in high point days.

You can read more about it at

Wendi Plan

That's the site I used to learn more about it.

With flexpoints, a lot of people are probably doing the Wendi plan on their own without giving it a name but just eating what their body tells them it needs.

I didn't plan to eat as much as I did today (about 15 of my flexpoints at last count) but it will fall within my flexpoints and I'm sure my body had a reason for demanding so much. It could be the 10 days straight of heavy exercise that I've done, or my TOM, or the fact that I've just cut aspartame out of my diet and this is part of my withdrawal (along with the dull headache I've had all day.) Whatever, I'm just going with the flow and will stay on program.

I like the idea that this high point and low point eating keeps my body 'off balance' and doesn't allow it to adapt to lower calorie intake.

At the WW scales right after Easter, so many people said that they had fallen off the program and yet showed a loss. I think it was the high point day that helped.

...Kathryn

...Kathryn

(181/ 170/ 138)

(HW/CW/GW)

Been to goal three times using WW, twice for over a year but I'm way older this time and feel like I'm at war with my body. Height 64.5"

Well, I totally agree with the Wendie plan. It's the only thing that works for me. If I eat around the same points everyday---then nothing! But I agree with Christina and Kathryn, you have to really "bounce" around the points sometimes. Then your body won't get to used to a certain amount.

Hope all these posts help. :D

~Sandi

5'7"

SW-203

CW-175

GW-145

~Sandi~ :salut

I've always thought that Flex Points was the WW way of implementing the Wendy plan!

You are what you eat!<br /><br />*********************************

I agree with texas mom....with the flexpoints you do that to a degree...if i am hungrier on day..i just eat more flex points...if i am not...then i don't...

Routines are great..you need them...but at times that can put your body into a rut...and sometimes the only way to get out is to change things....

You may want to look at your week...are you eating flexpoints on the same days of the week...see if you can move that.....

another thing is are you eating enough points? if you are very active your body may need more points to compensate for that...otherwise you will go into starvation mode and your body will try to hold on to whatever it has

Maybe try the WW. High Protein or High Carb Fast track plan. It's for use when your having trouble losing.

I did the High Protein twice, a week each time. I lost 6.4 lbs. the first time and 4.6 lbs. the second time in a week.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.