Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
kidlets2

Scrapbook Retreats - Help!

ok, so as I posted a few months ago, I'm organizing a scrapbooking retreat at a home designed for crafters. I need to start organizing everyone and the control freak in me wants to start lists of what needs to be done, what I need to pack as the host, what I need to pack as a guest, etc.

For those who have been to weekend retreats, can you help a newbie out? What did you learn your first time that you wished you knew ahead of time? What did you not pack and wished you would have?

For those who have organized this type of thing, what are things you wish you would have thought of as a host? Anything you realized you didn't explain or thought of too late?

Our weekend is 2 months away, and if I have to spend the next 60 days feeling like this, I don't think I'll make it! :bcb_cry: I realize this is supposed to be fun, and it will be once I get there, but I'm such a control freak that I want everything to be perfect for everyone. I want everyone leaving wanting to do this again.

HW 220

CW 134

GW 129

Guest Tammy in IL

For one thing you need prizes, people expect prizes and giveaways at these things. They also like games sort of like at a baby shower, like whomever can show me a layout with a baby in it wins a prize, etc.

Also, don't overplan on the food. People don't eat near as much as you think and you'll have tons of leftovers. That is, if you planning to have food. I've found it easiest to just let them fend for themselves for meals or assign each person a certain meal to bring with x number of servings.

Don't forget your cropping supplies and pictures and just have fun. Remember, you'll never be able to please everyone.

Thanks Tammy. I knew you'd see my post and rescue me!

Yep, we're bringing and preparing our own food. We ended up getting Thursday night free since we booked so far in advance, so we're checking in at Noon and checking out at 4 on Sunday. I'm telling people to bring something to give themselves a break - a book or a movie. We're not planning on leaving the house, but if the mood strikes some of us may go out for a while since we kid and DH free. The first time for many - including myself.

Thanks for prize idea. I hadn't even thought of it. What we've done is ask for a $100 confirmation fee. If we get 15 people, the house will cost us $70 a person. So whatever is left after we pay for the house is going towards food and other supplies - plates, napkins, etc. I made a disclaimer that depending on the number of people we get, we may need to come back and ask for another $10-20 per person to cover food since if we only get 10 ppl, then the house will cost each of us $105.

One of the gals that is helping me organize this works for a chef. He has offered to get us pre planned meals at his cost. So we can get a pan of lasgna all made up ready to be popped into the oven for example. This will save us lots of time and money, hopefully.

I'd love to hear others suggestions if you have them! DH gets out of the house so often, that I would really love for this to be a hit and something we can do at least once a year - maybe do day ones close to home and leave this as our big getaway.

HW 220

CW 134

GW 129

Guest Tammy in IL

Sounds like a very good plan you have. I forgot that we always do a sort of gift exchange, but we step it up a notch, lol. Emeril's version only with scrapbooking. Anyway, we each buy a scrapbooking item for x amount of money, usually $15-20, wrap it up and put them all on a table, then we label peices of paper with the number of people in the exchange and put them in a bowl or something. Each person picks a number and then starting with whomever got number one they pick a prize from the table, then number 2 either picks a prize from the table or steals the prize from #1, who then must pick a prize from the table. Then #3 does the same thing and right on down the line. We have a rule that a prize can only be stolen 3 times, on the 3rd steal whomever has it is done, no one can take that prize again.

OMG, you would not believe how fun this game is with scrapping supplies as the prizes! We have also hired a massage therapist to come and anyone who wants to signs up for a massage for whatever the cost is per 15 min, 1/2 hour or however long. Almost forgot that we've had a gal come do pedicures as well the same way.

Have fun!

I have only been to two retreats before so I may not be much help. There has always been a learning 'class' while we are there. Some subject the organizer came up with to talk about to help us scrapbook better or get different ideas.

The one retreat I was at had a BYOB the first night and you brought something you wanted to drink and a snack to share. It was a kind of get to know everyone night and it was kind of fun. It let you get to know everyone so it wasn't hard to talk to them later in the weekend...not that women usually have a hard time with that! lol.

Hope that helps. Good luch with the retreat! Remember most people are just happy to get out of their house for the weekend and have a place to scrapbook, I am sure it will be fine!

Started WW: March 27, 2006

Starting Weight/Current Weight/Goal Weight

225/215/200

I WILL get there!!!

Guest TweetyCrazy

First off tell us where your going! :)

Second I'm an independent instructor for a company called "I Remember When" and when I organize retreats I usually have a "Demo" time where I'll demo tools, toys and more :)

Third its a great idea to create lists for those attending so they know exactly what they need to bring!!

Let me know what other questions you have I'd be happy to help!

Tina