Health Discovery Network
want2bskinny

Elliptical ????

I have just started using an elliptical and was wondering what a good time for running a mile would be, does anyone know? How long does everyone w/o on their machine? Just trying to get a feel for how I should be doing. Thanks.

Started WW: March 27, 2006

Starting Weight/Current Weight/Goal Weight

225/215/200

I WILL get there!!!

I don't think my elliptical estimates distance...it shows me RPMs, time, calories burned, and even my Heart Rate (if I'm holding the arms which have sensors on the grips).

So, I just go by time and intensity. I try for 30 minutes, total, with a 5 minute warmup and a 2-5 minute cool-down. In between I work at high intensity, often using the pre-programmed workouts so I get varying resistance throughout.

I don't know if this helps or not.

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

I go either 30-40 minutes on my elliptical. I keep a 138-144 RPM pace, and usually my mile times are about 9:30-9:45. My heart rate is usually about 108-118.

Having said that, your parameters might be far different because of age, sex, health, fitness level, etc. My advice - pay attention to your heart rate, that will tell you how hard you are working.

Correction to my previous post: my elliptical cross-trainer DOES count "distance," though how the elliptical motion of the machine corresponds to distance, I haven't a clue.

Anyhow, in 30 minutes, at high intensity, I was doing between 40 and 50 rpms, and completed 3.1 miles. As the previous poster mentions, your rpms, intensity levels, and distance will vary depending on the particular machine you are using and your individual level of fitness.

I hope this helps,

Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png