Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Chocolate Cake

Warning: 1 piece will fill you up for a long long time! :)

This "Chocolate Cake" recipe came from playing with: Lynn's Chocolate Baked Oatmeal, my Baked Oatmeal, Sheryls' Chocolate Snackin' Cake, and the Brownie recipes...Here goes!

"CHOCOLATE CAKE"

Servings: 8-16 (I can't eat 1/8th anymore...!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (I use a small toaster/convection oven.)

Line an 8X8" pan with Reynold's Non-Stick aluminum foil or spray with non-stick spray.

In one bowl, stir:

2 Cups oat bran

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (Rumford, aluminum-free, is good)

1 tsp. baking soda

Package of chocolate pudding mix, small (I used regular, but use FF/SF for all-CORE)

1/4 Cup of cocoa, unsweetened

3 Splenda packets (you may want yours sweeter)

Pinch of salt

In another bowl, mix:

3 eggs, beaten

1 tsp. vanilla

1 Cup FF milk

1/2 C. applesauce, unsweetened (I use a 4 oz. pre-portioned container)

1 TBS. instant espresso coffee crystals

Add liquid bowl into dry bowl, mix quickly and pour into pan; put pan into oven for 25 minutes (or until sides of cake have pulled away from pan; cracks may appear on top). COOL.

Note: I've tried this "warm" and it was excellent. :) Great the next day, cold.

Let me know what you think! :)

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

How does this compare to the Shery'ls recipe? That's what I normally make, except I add 1/3 c nonfat dry milk and a tsp baking powder to her recipe.

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Since someone's bound to ask, I ran this through Mastercook.

My oat bran seems to have more calories than the "default" oat bran in MC

Using NI for my brands and eggs

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 172 Calories; 4g Fat (21.3% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 80mg Cholesterol; 422mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. - 3 POINTS

Using NI for my brands and eggbeaters

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 153 Calories; 2g Fat (12.9% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 428mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Other Carbohydrates. - 2 POINTS

ETA: Both counts are based on 8 servings

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

How does this compare to the Shery'ls recipe? That's what I normally make, except I add 1/3 c nonfat dry milk and a tsp baking powder to her recipe.

'Cept Sheryl's has the 3 bananas...! :bcb_bigsm

Lots of people don't like the banana-taste. (Personally, I love it.)

But this is very much like CHOCOLATE CAKE. :bcb_smile

Try it and see what you think. It's high...Like I said, it's a compilation. :salut

Since someone's bound to ask, I ran this through Mastercook.

My oat bran seems to have more calories than the "default" oat bran in MC

Using NI for my brands and eggs

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 172 Calories; 4g Fat (21.3% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 80mg Cholesterol; 422mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. - 3 POINTS

Using NI for my brands and eggbeaters

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 153 Calories; 2g Fat (12.9% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 428mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Other Carbohydrates. - 2 POINTS

You're so right, Joanne. Someone will ask. THANKS! :salut :bcb_bigsm

Joanne, Thanks for the nutrionals on this it sound wonderful. but I have a question for ya did you figure this on 8 servings or sixteen? I kinda think it would be for the 8 pieces. Thanks, Jane

I can do this with the strength Christ gives me!!

S/W 223.4 / WW G/W 150 reached on 12/23/03

Working my way back to goal !!

weight.png

Sorry, When I copied and pasted the recipe it just said 8 servings. I'll update my post. Thanks.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

'Cept Sheryl's has the 3 bananas...! :bcb_bigsm

Lots of people don't like the banana-taste. (Personally, I love it.)

I like the bananas but I don't always have them readily available when I get the urge for chocolate cake. This is a lot better from a convenience standpoint, I always have applesauce!

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Sorry, When I copied and pasted the recipe it just said 8 servings. I'll update my post. Thanks.

Sorry, Joanne. Looks like I'm making this hard for you! :bcb_worry

Carol, thanks for the recipe. I plan on making this for my Sunday Football Party. I am really bored with the banana taste and look forward to this.

We are excited about the Bears being in the playoffs but I think the Saints will eat their lunch!!

Someone is bringing brownies so I will eat a piece of the chocolate cake and not feel deprived:salut Judy

sw 169

cw 161.82

gw 158:jump_jack Judy

Thanks Joanne for listing the # of servings for this cake. Yummmm can't wait to make it. Jane

I can do this with the strength Christ gives me!!

S/W 223.4 / WW G/W 150 reached on 12/23/03

Working my way back to goal !!

weight.png

Im making my shopping list... if you didnt add the coffee crystals do you think it would loose any flavor?

s206/cw184/g160

:bcb_bravo

22 pounds gone!! thx to CORE!

This is so good. I just finished a piece (I cut mine in 16pcs.) and put a spoonful of SF/FF cheesecake pudding on top and it was wonderful. I'm going to freeze the slices and then wrap individually. Thank you for the recipe!

wwnUztp

LOVE & BLESSINGS

GAIL

Be faithful, be strong, be diligent.....

it's only good news if told in time.

I tried this tonight and i thought it was wonderful my husband thought it was bland so i might add more splenda next time!

SW/CW/GW

172/150/130

Lily born 1/3/05

Sadie born 8/15/06

"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

I tried this yesterday, and it was really good! And, I discovered at the last minute that I had no oat bran, so I subbed cream of wheat, and it came out fine! :bcb_bigsm

My kids love it, too ~ bonus! :bcb_up

Christine

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

Thank you for this recipe. I made it last night..and i concur it is verrrry filling. not something i would say about regular chocolate cake=) I iced it with ff pudding, it moistened it and provided a textural contrast--as well as more visual appeal for my family.

Im going to try the cream of wheat version next time i make it.

I think the main challenge with these core baked goods for me is having enough room for healthy foods as well. I just have to plan them into my day, not grab a piece as a snack before dinner, then not be hungry for my healthy 8s...I was tempted to have a slice for breakfast, but remembered the point i just made and went ahead with my scrambled eggs w/ bulgar,corn and tomatoes=)

Thank you soo much for this and all of your recipes=)

Catherine 295/op/lt

This is on my menu to make for Valentines day... I'll frost it with a little vanilla pudding/ff cool whip with a dash of red food coloring! Thanks for sharing!

~~ Lara ~~

The world is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Live, Live Live!

weight.png

Bumping up.

Sarah

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again

Has anyone tried topping this with sugar free cherry pie filling for like a black forest cake. I haven't tried this recipe yet but am going to try it this weekend. Thanks. It sounds wonderful.

Made this last night and it was very good (topped it with FF/Sf pudding). DH and I thought it needed a little more sweetener. I used Stevia extract, and I don't think I put enough drops in! I will try the packets the next time! Does anyone know if they are the same sweetness as a Splenda packet?

Tissie

One bite at a time!

Carol this is great cake! I just made it for the first time and did 12 muffins so I can freeze and take to work as a snack. I LOVE it!!! Thank you!

[B][I][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Jenny[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]height - 5'8"[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]HW - 181[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]CW - [/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]Weekly Exercise Goal - 75/210 miniutes[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL]

Jenny, the cupcake idea is right on. I took them on my trip this week. They travel great. They are not crumbly, just wonderful. How can anyone feel deprived when they eat these things. I enjoyed them for breakfast with a cup of hot green tea. Awesome!

Carol, thank you!

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!