Health Discovery Network
Bethibabee

banana walnut (or not walnut) muffins

I bit the bullet and made these as muffins, like the recipe calls.

They are good but not sweet enough for me.

I may try adding some banana ss/ff pudding mix to them next time.

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

I made these too and they are great! I also made a variation and added 1 tsp of coconut extract - yum!!

I wanted to bump this because of the discussion...gonna make this in the morning and add some pineapple and coconut extract for an island flavor :)

Concerning the baking issue: I see this as a hot debate in our accountability group and online. I know I called my buddy today who is a life time member and has been doing Core for the last 2 years, but did flex before that and she said, "your mileage may vary" but official is that baked is NOT core and neither is it when you "grind" oatmeal as I do. She said she never has trouble with it if she keeps it in the portion and servings recommended, (don't stuff yourself) but if a stall happens go back to the basic plan...stick to the plan when all else fails...makes sense to me.

Cooking changes the chemical make up of any food. So I am sure the energy exchange is very different after it has been baked...

I think in order for it to be kept in check it is safer to call it off Core and count points...but I wondered that too...

I wonder why things like canned fruit and vegetables do not have the same issue since they are technically cooked? I know they ARE core, but it seems like it would be similar...anyone stall eating caned fruit? I usually only eat raw fruit except in a pinch...(I am not wild about cutting pineapple).

I've made these twice now and they are very good. The first time I made with 1/2 cup of splenda but they were not sweet enough (but still good). This last time I used 1 1/2 cups of splenda and they were too sweet (but still good). Next time I make them I will use 1 cup - I think that will make them perfect. I did not have enough bananas on hand and made up the difference with baby food bananas (stage 3). I read the ingredients and they only have bananas, citric and ascorbic acids. Thanks for this great recipe! My husband likes them too!

Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237

Current Weight: 203.5

My Goal Weight: 180

arent they just the best? I love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try adding crushed pineapple to corn muffins for another to die for muffin!

SW - 260 1/31/06

CW - 201

GW - 147

Slowly but surely!

I've been making a batch of these every couple of days and tonight I tried adding about 1/4 cup of canola oil. I found it really made the texture nice and more muffinny. ( I guess that could be a risk for some. Beware) But I really liked it and hey, it's still core.

SW 165

CW 140

reached goal and staying there!!

Thank you so much for posting this, I have baked hubby some banana bread yesterday and it is hard to resist. This will be perfect.:bcb_march

I made these this morning and used my mini bunt pan muffins. They are too cute and so fun to eat while drinking my coffee and reading the many, many emails I got last night.

Thank you for posting this recipe! I think I've found my banana nut bread for the holidays. :bcb_bigsm

Courtney ~ in Japan

2009 is my year! Recommitting and taking it one day at a time.

Guest niaquinialli

I made these today and they were pretty good. Not quite sweet enough for my taste (and I don't have a huge sweet tooth), but still good.

I made a couple of changes (because I can't help it):

- I wanted to make 18 muffins instead of 24 (I have a 12 muffin tin and a 6 muffin tin and was worried that the leavening agents would have expired by the time the first batch was done. I also only had 1 1/2 cups of bananas.), so I 3/4'd the recipe

- I took the suggestion of a previous poster and added 3 T. canola oil. Doing so gives you half of an oil per muffin.

- I noticed there weren't any eggs, which didn't make any sense to me, so I subbed an egg for most of the applesauce and then added a couple of tablespoon of applesauce to make up the difference

- I actually used regular sugar because I don't like artificial sweeteners, which came out to about .6 points per muffin , which I will begrudgingly round up to 1 :bcb_yuck: (I had 18 muffins plus some extra batter that was thrown in a loaf pan)

- I added a touch of nutmeg and about a teaspoon of vanilla

- I also added just a touch more cream of wheat to bring the mixture together a bit

- I can't remember if the original recipe called for rolled oats, but I used quick because it's what I have on hand. I think using quick oats helps the oats cook into the batter and become more homogeneous.

Like I said, overall, these were good. Even my brother, who turns his nose up (or just asks, "Really, Florie, where's the butter?) at my "experimental" baked goods liked them well enough to have two.

I was really surprised by how well the cream of wheat and oatmeal mimicked a muffiny texture. Sure, it was denser than most muffins and I can tell there's no flour in it, but I was surprised at the texture.

I think they'd be delicious split in half and "fried" with an egg for breakfast. Filling and tasty.

I think you could even play with it and make banana bread pancakes. That could be delicious!:bcb_up

I made these today and used my mini muffin pans also. I got 24 mini muffins. They were very tasty and I agree they will go well with a hot cup of coffee!:bcb_up Thanks for this recipe! I will definitely make them again!

Tissie

One bite at a time!

Isn't it great how we can all make improvements on a recipe!? Thats why I love Bootcamp Buddies! SO many suggestions! I'm going to try some the the new suggestions as soon as my bananas get good and ripe. SOmething else I do... I take a ripe banana and mash it up and spread it on my warmed muffin like jam! YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

And about the Quick oats vs. rolled... I use quick : )

SW - 260 1/31/06

CW - 201

GW - 147

Slowly but surely!

These are on my list to try. I'm doing simply filling and these should be perfect (leaving out the nuts) 👍

Kelli from MN

"change happens one day at a time"