Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
NikaD

Spicy Peanut Stew with Ginger and Tomato

From the NYT last week, but w/ a few adjustments to oil and fried bits, and doubling of most of the spices for an extra kick. A good, hearty and vegan meal. I've been eating it all week!

Spicy Peanut Stew with Ginger and Tomato

POINTS® value | 6

Servings | 8

Main Meals |

Ingredients

I medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 5 cups)

1 tsp table salt

2 tsp ground cumin

2 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp ground turmeric

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

3 Tbsp olive oil

3 Tbsp ginger root (about 2 inches, peeled and minced)

2 small jalapeno chilis, seeded and minced

1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cup)

1/3 cup canned tomato paste

14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes

4 cups vegetable broth

1/2 cup peanut butter

8 oz zucchini

2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

1/3 cup chopped cilantro

4 cups cooked brown rice

Instructions

1. In a colander, toss eggplant with 1 teaspoon salt; set aside for 30 minutes. Rinse, drain well and set aside. In a small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, turmeric and cayenne; set aside.

2. In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil, add eggplant. Cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and just tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to another bowl

3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pot and heat over medium-high heat. Add minced ginger and chilies and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add spices and cook, stirring, 30 seconds more. Add onion and cook, stirring to scrape up any browned bits, until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute.

4. Add diced tomatoes, stock, eggplant, and a sprinkling of salt. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Place peanut butter in a medium bowl, add one or two ladlefuls of hot soup, and stir until emulsified, then pour mixture back into soup.

5. Reduce heat to a simmer, add zucchini, cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice and chopped cilantro. Let cool slightly and taste; add salt if necessary. Serve in bowls with 1/2 cup rice, garnished with cilantro leaves and chopped peanuts, if desired.

Nicole

HW: 236

SW: 196 (8/8/06)

CW: 155.5 (WW: 40.5/ Total: 80.5) :D

Next goal: 5.5 to go!

This sounds very good! I am going to add it to my collection of recipes to try. Thank you for sharing it!!