Health Discovery Network
Robyn51

2 questions

I have two food questions.

If If I braise a beef roast, then refrigerate the cooking liquid overnight and discard the hardened fat on the surface, is the remaining cooking liquid relatively fat-free? Or is there still some fat suspended in the liquid that does not rise to the surface and harden? If so, how do I calculate the amount of fat in the liquid?

2. When I blend my fruits and veggies into a smoothie, does that affect the amount of fiber? Is the fiber content of blueberries blended into a smoothie the same as those eaten whole? Just wondering because there was some discussion in another thread that grinding oatmeal reduces the fiber content and I was not sure if that also applies to fruits and veggies. I know that juicing them removes fiber because you strain the juice and remove the pulp which contains the fiber and discard it. But, with a smoothie you are only ‘grinding’ the fruit up, so will that reduce the fiber?

I appreciate all your help.

If it were me......

I wouldn't worry about the broth/juice too much with your beef roast if you strain the hardened fat. I would just count the points for the amount of beef eaten. There will probably be some fat in the broth but unless you are eating a cup or more of the broth, I don't think I would add points for the juice.

I'm not sure about the 2nd question but it would seem to me that if you are not discarding any of the skin from the fruit that it shouldn't affect the fiber content.

Bonnie

Returning Lifetime Member

The control center of my life is my attitude.

:bcb_march:bcb_march:bcb_march

(-7) - Week 1:bcb_bigsm

I agree about your first questions. The second: Because my smoothie mix has 4 grams of fiber I'm not really counting the fruit's fiber anyway so point-wise it's moot. I am drinking all of the fruit.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Thanks for your help. I was using some of the broth to add to the shredded beef for hot beef sandwiches, so I didn't use very much. As for the fiber question, it was more a matter of wondering if by blending the fruit I'm not getting the benefit of the fiber from the fruit. But logically, I would chew the fruit if it wasn't blended, so I can't believe the blending would make a difference in the fiber content.

I think you're right. I know that one could argue that if you over-process anything it would lose some benefit from the original but I think for your purposes, it is okay.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12