Health Discovery Network

Here's another CORE pasta-ish dish - gnocchi. For those who don't know, gnocchi are a small potato dumpling that can be served with a pasta sauce or used in a clear soup.

Gnocchi are incredibly easy to make.

INGREDIENTS:

some russet potatoes

some whole-wheat flour

an egg

Use approximately 1.25 cups of flour for each pound of potatoes. Exact measurements are impossible, it depends on the moisture content of the potatoes. (As a cheat, you can use reconstituted instant mashed potatoes!)

Bake or microwave the potatoes until cooked through. Run the potatoes through a potato ricer while hot. Let cool.

After the potatoes cool transfer to a mixer and add the egg. Start mixing, then slowly add the flour until it forms a ball and doesn't stick to your hands. You may have to switch to a dough hook at some point.

Turn the dough out onto a board dusted with WW (whloe wheat) flour and knead until smooth. Divide the dough into manageable portions and roll out into long rolls about 3/4 inch in diameter.

Line up the rolls and cut into 3/4 to 1 inch long pieces. Dust with WW flour and press the tines of a fork into each piece to form ridges but do not flatten too much. You're making dumplings, not peanut butter cookies!

To cook, bring a large pot of water to a good boil and place a handful of the gnocchi into the pot, stirring gently. When they rise to the top they are done. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside and continue with the remaining gnocchi.

Serve with pasta sauce and a bit of parmesan cheese, or add them to soups (makes a terrific substitute for noodles in chicken noodle soup). Extras can be frozen.

Enjoy!

:) Smiling Fred :)

SW - 295

WW goal - 200

My goal - 180

CW - 210

HT 75"

Lifetime in 1994

Oh my, sounds SO good! Thanks for sharing!

May I ask what a "potato ricer" is, and what I can use instead? :bcb_wink3

Thanks!

Christine

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

Christine, a potato ricer is like a huge garlic press, but for potatoes. It has a hopper for the potatoes to go in, then a metal plate hinged to a handle goes on top. You press the handles together and fluffy potatoes come out the bottom.

There is an older version that looks like a pointy collander, and it has a tapered wooden roller. You put the peeled potatoes in and run the roller around the sides to force the potatoes through the holes.

The whole idea is to get the potatoes into a fluffy, mixable texture. Do an internet search for "potato ricer."

SW - 295

WW goal - 200

My goal - 180

CW - 210

HT 75"

Lifetime in 1994

If I do not have a potato ricer (ok, I DO NOT have a potato ricer LOL) Can I use a handheld potato masher? And would you have to count since the rule is WW pasta OR potato OR brown rice? But these do look good and I want to try it. And does it HAVE to be a russet potato?

I am not defined by the number, but how healthy my body is!

2 teach is 2 touch 4 ever

~*Nicole*~

Here's another one... a cheese one

GNOCCHI #1

2 C. flour (use ww)

2 c. Ricotta cheese

2 eggs

Put flour, Ricotta, and eggs in mixing bow, and with a large spoon blend ingredients into a large ball. Place dough on a floured board and roll into a ball again. Add more flour, if necessary, to prevent sticking. Roll small amounts of dough, forming cigar-sized strands. Cut each strand into 1 inch pieces. With your knuckle or index finger, form a dent in the center of each. Drop into lots of boiling water (they will sink) and cook about 8 to 10 minutes. When the gnocchi floats to the top of the boiling water they are done. Drain and place on a large platter. Top with Mamma's Marinara Sauce, grated cheese, and coarsely chopped fresh basil. Serves 4 to 8.

~*Nicole*~

Sure, Nicole, you can use a potato masher. And yes, I would probably use the potato-whole whaeat pasta-brown rice rule for the gnocchi.

Your cheese gnocchie recipe looks good, I'd make it with FF ricotta. Yum!

SW - 295

WW goal - 200

My goal - 180

CW - 210

HT 75"

Lifetime in 1994

I hate to rain on the parade, but if we're only allowed to have ww pasta OR potatoes once per day, doesn't this kinda violate the rules? Since it has both potatoes and ww flour in it? Any thoughts on that anyone?

Amy

SiFi - 114 lbs gone, 80ish lbs left to lose

DS: 1 year

DD: 2 years

That's what I was asking Amy. So I found the cheese one... of course, I forgot to note to use ff ricotta! I knew I would use it... derr on me!

~*Nicole*~

That's what I was asking Amy. So I found the cheese one... of course, I forgot to note to use ff ricotta! I knew I would use it... derr on me!

OOPS, I didn't fully read your post...shame on me for skimming through! :bcb_grin

But hey, great minds think alike!

Amy

No problemo!

Even us great minds mess u once in a blue moon :bcb_wink3

~*Nicole*~

However, this recipe has both ww flour and potatoes, so I'd think you'd have to count points for one or other of those ingredients, since you're only allowed to have one or the other once/day.

IMHO,

Amy

Yep. Homemade whole wheat pasta is CORE!

Nicole's going to try gnocchi this week.. instead of raviolis (theose take FOREVER.. even though I premade and froze the dough!)

~*Nicole*~

I was always under the impression that the pasta, brown rice, potato rule was that you could have one OR a combination of the above once a day. ex: making a soup that has potatoes AND pasta in it, but it is the SAME meal. I could be wrong, but this is how I always thought the rule worked (not that that situation comes up often)

~Chell~

HW: 201

:ugh: ~ SW: 175

10% GW: 157.5 ~ WWGW: 150 ~ PGW: 140

weight.png

Lynn, great leader that leads... do you know?

~*Nicole*~

Leaders don't necessarily have much more info than members but I believe the rule means potato OR brown rice OR pasta once day, not a combo of the two in one meal...SO if you make the gnocchi you have to count for either the potato OR the flour, that's my take on it!

And YES homemade 100% whole wheat pasta is core.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

My understanding has always been a little different: If I have any of the three (brown rice, potatoes, ww pasta) at a meal then I cannot have any of them at another meal. I never took it to mean I was limited to only one of the three at any meal, only that I need to eat only enough to be satisfied.

SW - 295

WW goal - 200

My goal - 180

CW - 210

HT 75"

Lifetime in 1994

Thank you Lynn!!

~*Nicole*~

I LOVE it when people come up with questions I've never even thought of before... :bcb_bigsm

And it's a GOOD question. :salut

I'd say it's open to interpretation... :bcb_wink3

How about that?! :bcb_grin

I guess I'd probably consider it a variation of "whole wheat pasta" and limit it to the one-meal-a-day.

If you stopped losing weight, you could consider another perspective. :salut (Especially if this stuff tastes WAY better than regular whole wheat pasta, and you tend to eat more. :bcb_up )

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

SO Carol, are you saying, if you were to make ww POTATO gnocchi, you would consider it a core once a day?

~*Nicole*~