Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
modthyrth

CORE rice cooker biryani

I had a hankering for some Indian food. Did a search for biryani recipes (notoriously high in points at a restaraunt) and thought, hey, I could totally make a core version of this. And hey, I could totally make a lazy-throw-it-in-the-ricecooker version of this. So I did. Two minutes of prep work, push the button, and you have a fabulous meal in 20 minutes! I eyeballed it all, so I don't have precise quantities, sorry!

Ricecooker Core Biryani

--2 scoops of quinoa (I used quinoa because I LOVE the stuff, but you could also use brown basmati rice. Don't use regular rice--you need rice that won't stick together for biryani. That's another reason I chose quinoa. I say "two scoops" because my rice cooker came with a scoop that it's designed to work with. Use the scoop or instructions that come with your rice cooker.)

--couple teaspoons of a healthy oil (I used olive oil)

--frozen shrimp, still frozen. As much or as little as you want.

--a few good dollops of ff plain yogurt

--diced tomato to taste. I used about a half of a fresh tomato. Canned would also be fast and easy.

--cinnamon (about 1 t)

--garam masala (about 1 t)

--curry powder (about 2 t)

--two whole bay leaves

--diced onion. I used about 1/4 of a good sized onion.

--some garlic paste.

--some ginger paste.

--pinch salt

--chili powder to taste

--some fresh cilantro if you have it on hand.

Throw all the stuff in the pot. Fill the water to a little above the appropriate water line for the # of rice scoops you put in. If you fill it just to the line, it'll still be tasty, but the grains will be a wee bit crunchy (especially if you use brown rice). Give your mixture a stir. Push the button on your rice cooker. And enjoy a CORE indian feast when the rice cooker turns off.

It was good as written above, but next time I think I'll use either chicken or veggie stock instead of water to help boost the flavor, and I'll use a heavier hand with the spices. I like intensely flavored foods. I'll also try throwing in some leftover chicken breast instead of the shrimp. Maybe some frozen peas? cauliflower? Mushrooms? mmmm.

Nikki

SW: 183 (1/8/06)

CW:145

WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)

next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

Guest divinroatan

Has anyone tried this? If so, can you provide more precise measurements?

Also, does anyone have any ideas of what would be required to make this on the stove or in a crockpot (I don't have a rice cooker)?

Thanks!

This looks delicious!! And I love the way you wrote your recipe. You are my kinda cook. :)

SW 165

CW 140

reached goal and staying there!!

Wow, I'd completely forgotten about this. I know what I'm making for lunch this week!

divinroatan--I wouldn't try using a slow cooker, but you can certainly make biryani without a rice cooker. Here's the link to a thread suzie started with a great recipe:

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1132815#post1132815

Nikki

SW: 183 (1/8/06)

CW:145

WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)

next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

may i ask, what is garam masala. ya must have a great spice rack, TIA Jane

Its an indian spice that i found an international mkt. Here is something that I found on the web. Hope it helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This easy-to-make spice blend is the heart of most Indian dishes. A combination of different spices, it probably has as many recipes as there are families in India! Here is a basic one. Once you get a feel for the taste it gives your cooking, experiment and alter it to suit your needs. Garam masala is best made fresh just before you begin cooking, but if you haven’t got the patience (like me!), make a batch ahead and store for several months in an air-tight container in a cool, dark place.

INGREDIENTS:

• 4 tbsps coriander seeds
  • 1 tbsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tbsp black peppercorns
  • 1 ½ tsps black cumin seeds (shahjeera)
  • 1 ½ tsps dry ginger
  • ¾ tsp black cardamom (3-4 large pods approx)
  • ¾ tsp cloves
  • ¾ tsp cinnamon (2 X 1” pieces)
  • ¾ tsp crushed bay leaves

PREPARATION:

• Heat a heavy skillet on a medium flame and gently roast all ingredients (leave cardamom in its pods till later) except the dry ginger, till they turn a few shades darker. Stir occasionally. Do not be tempted to speed up the process by turning up the heat as the spices will burn on the outside and remain raw on the inside.
  • When the spices are roasted turn of the flame and allow them to cool.
  • Once cooled, remove the cardamom seeds from their skins and mix them back with all the other roasted spices.
  • Grind them all together, to a fine powder in a clean, dry coffee grinder.
  • Store in an air-tight container in a cool, dark place

RW2L

weight.png

TBLbannerBlackc.gif