Health Discovery Network
pyccku

Seriously - points for playing Wii?

I know this seems like a joke, but it really isn't. And I did a search but the word Wii is too short, so maybe it has already been discussed.

Have any of you tried the Wii and counted it for APs? I've been playing the sports game with my kids and found that, believe it or not, it DOES get my heartrate up and if I were to keep doing it, I'd probably break a sweat.

Specifically, I'm talking about the boxing. Basically, you're moving and dodging and punching, just as if you were shadow-boxing.

Even the bowling and tennis, my arm felt like it does after doing a little strength training.

Has anyone else found the same thing? And do you count the APs for it?

OK - I did a little searching and came up with this link: http://wiinintendo.net/2007/01/15/wii-sports-experiment-results/

The guy calculated 125 calories burned in a 15 minute period doing boxing, 92 calories for tennis, 77 for bowling. So I'm not crazy - you really can work up a sweat for this!

I wonder how long it will be before someone comes out with fitness videos for the Wii? Only a matter of time, I would guess.

SW:233.0 CW:233.0 GW:160

I would use the perceived exertion test (low/moderate/high), as this will be different for each person, then count your APs accordingly using your slider. Activity is activity no matter how you get it. And it sounds like fun!

Pat

There was a fitness game announced for Wii in Japan, so it should be coming to American sometime soon! I'm really excited about it!

g i n a

s w 171.5 ~ c w 171.5 ~ g w 110