Health Discovery Network
JeanetteSki

Shirataki Noodles

Ok, just thought I'd pop in here and let everyone know what I thought of Shirataki Noodles. I made the Fettucine Alfredo recipe that was recommended by Hungry Girl from that website. For my money, I wouldn't buy them again. I found them to rubbery and sort of slimey/slippery in my mouth. DH had some and came up with the same opinion, and he usually eats anything, but neither one of us liked them. I don't know if these have been reviewed before, but that's my opinion. Since they are made of tofu they don't have much taste and will take on whatever you put them with. The stats for 4oz. are: 20 Cal, 0.5 fat, 3 total carbs, and 2 fiber. So these come out to 0 pts. on my slider, but I still don't think they're worth it. They come precooked and packaged in water, which is nice and quick. JMHO.

JeanetteSki

I think these are a love 'em or hate 'em kinda thing. I don't expect them to "feel" like pasta so maybe that's why I like them. In fact, that's what I'm having right now. For me that they are only 1 point for the whole bag is worth it. I still count a point even though it comes up on the slider as 0 cause I don't count anything other than veggies as 0 points.

Tonight I tried something I read on another site. I rinsed them well and put them in a bowl of hot water and microwaved for about 5 minutes. I think they are a bit less chewy than straight out of the bag but I don't mind the texture either way. I also read about a woman that soaks them in cold water for 10-15 minutes then hot water for 10-15 minutes then boils them for 15-20. That's too much time for me. But you might try it if you have more and want to try something different.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't care for them. It just seemed that no matter what I did to them, couldn't get rid of that funny texture and "slippery" taste.

I am soooo glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thought these were less than good. I was hoping that they would work out for me because I have recently been diagnosed as diabetic and was looking for a good pasta substitute and these were only 5(?) total carbs. A very good rating. Looks like I'l be sticking with my 1/3 c of cooked pasta per carb serving. And I can deal with that. That will give me a total of 1 cup of cooked pasta per meal, which is about what I would eat anyway. Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not nuts!!

Tonight I tried something I read on another site. I rinsed them well and put them in a bowl of hot water and microwaved for about 5 minutes. I think they are a bit less chewy than straight out of the bag but I don't mind the texture either way. I also read about a woman that soaks them in cold water for 10-15 minutes then hot water for 10-15 minutes then boils them for 15-20. That's too much time for me. But you might try it if you have more and want to try something different.

That's way too much messing around for me.

JeanetteSki

I hated them too....I didn't even swallow my first bite. YUCK !

Carolyn

SW 211 :mad: ; Height: 5'8"

WWGW 150 (goal on 7/15/07) PGW 140

CW 136.4 (-74.6) 01/08/08

I was really psyched up to try them after reading HungryGirl's rave reviews of the product. I followed her advice regarding rinsing, drying, and cutting them. HOwever, I couldn't stomach them - and I'm an extremely adventurous eater. Oh well - whatever works for you, go for it. I'll stick to my baked sweet potatoes, pasta plus, whole wheat couscous, and kasha.

SW: 224 lbs

CW: 162 lbs :bcb_march

GW: 145 lbs

Goodbye 220's...210's...200's...190's...180's...170's...

:bcb_yuck: I tried these noodles and 1st off when I opened the package they smelled so bad-then I rinsed them and then I made the recipe w/the laughing cow cheese and I felt sick when I was eating it. Ewww.. icky. I would not recommend buying them.

DEB

:bcb_yuck: I tried these noodles and 1st off when I opened the package they smelled so bad-then I rinsed them and then I made the recipe w/the laughing cow cheese and I felt sick when I was eating it. Ewww.. icky. I would not recommend buying them.

I had this exact same experience. I just couldn't get past the initial smell!:bcb_sick:

Carla

Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6

CW 167.6

WW goal 165

Personal Goal 155

I think they smell like strong FISH.

Carla

Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6

CW 167.6

WW goal 165