Health Discovery Network
Smiling Fred

No zero points foods except vegetables?

At our meeting last night we were asked to bring in packaging for our favorite "food finds." I brought in mine - low fat, low carb tortillas made by the Tortilla Factory.

They calculate out to zero points each, if eaten individually:

Serving size - 1 tortilla

Calories - 50

Grams fat - 2

Grams fiber - 8

Our leader shot me down, saying the only zero points foods are vegetables. I've never heard that in all my years with WW. She says she will check it out, but I'm pretty sure she is wrong.

:) Smiling Fred :)

SW - 295

WW goal - 200

My goal - 180

CW - 210

HT 75"

Lifetime in 1994

If one figures up to zero Points, and you eat one, it's zero Points. But you're also right that two or more will count, especially considering the fiber cap.

There are a lot of things that are zero Points in sufficiently small amounts and you don't have to count small amounts. Just be careful, because except for "zero Point veggies" they all count in larger amounts. If you eat enough to count a Point, remember to count the Point.

"Zero Point veggies" are the only things that are unlimited.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

People disagree but I am with you. If I eat a food that calculates zero points based on how many servings I'm having, I count it as zero. If you ate 2 tortillias at once then you'd adjust the points. I do this all of the time with all of my foods. I calculate points based on how many servings I'm having at the time.

From WW TurnAround Book (2006) These are all items listed in their own book as zero points and none of them are veggies. I'm not trying to go overboard but I think it proves you are right:

diet drinks

bouillons

broths

soy sauce

teriyaki sauce

taco sauce

coffee

tea

chili sauce

onion soup mix

salsa

sugar free jello

FF Italian dressing (2T)

I calculate 1 of your tortillas as 0 points. You've already said the two would be 2 points. Don't worry, I think you're being fair.

I know how frustrating it can be to "argue" with a leader but I can't find it in the materials. She/He may advise the group to be careful to count points honestly, like if a person is eating more than one serving at a time, but that's her right. She/He should tell the material like it is. We are all adults!

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

one per day is zero points

PinkGlttr

a new mama, back and ready for bootcamp business!

HW: 205ish... pregnant

SW: 190.4

CW: 182

MiniGoal: 185.4 MET!:bcb_up

MiniGoal: 180.4

Thanks all for your comments - its a nice "sanity check" and I'll continue to eat my one "zero point" tortilla as a sandwich wrap. =)

*UPDATE*

I just got off the phone with WW (their 800 helpline number) and they confirmed there ARE zero points foods other than vegetables, but vegetables are the only UNLIMITED zero points foods.

:) Smiling Fred :)

SW - 295

WW goal - 200

My goal - 180

CW - 210

HT 75"

Lifetime in 1994

Someone once came to my Houston WW meeting with "zero point" burritos, using those type tortillas, a bit of ff cheese, a bit of ff refried beans, a tiny bit of ff sour cream. If you measure carefully, just about anything can be zero points. Of course, done correctly, even one burrito was not really zero points, if you added everything up instead of individuallly. Others went home and ate 6 of these for dinner. One lady ate them every day for a week and gained 3 lbs. So I do understand why the leader got on your case, although she should have been nicer about it. She is afraid of what other people might do. (although I have to wonder if those people ever read one word of their books to think they could do that!).

If it's working for you, keep it up!

Latebloomer

So I do understand why the leader got on your case, although she should have been nicer about it. She is afraid of what other people might do. (although I have to wonder if those people ever read one word of their books to think they could do that!).

I disagree- there's no reason to get on anybody's case for following this rule of WW 100% correctly (as Fred was). The situation you (Latebloomer) described was an opportunity to teach those members about proper point counting and being honest with themselves. Catering to those who don't listen while busting on those who do is unfair and unhelpful to all involved.

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

In that case, the burrito's fiber should have been capped and gotten at least 1 or 2 points. I usually add up things in a recipe, but it can vary a little. A few calories won't make a difference but added up over and over... yes, they add up!

The only thing that I count as "0" are zero point veggies, but then again, I count 1/2 points so that takes care of the discrepencies with other foods. I feel guilty eating ANYTHING other than "0" veggies and not counting at least 1/2 a point for it. It feels like cheating the system to me.

PinkGlttr

a new mama, back and ready for bootcamp business!

HW: 205ish... pregnant

SW: 190.4

CW: 182

MiniGoal: 185.4 MET!:bcb_up

MiniGoal: 180.4

I disagree- there's no reason to get on anybody's case for following this rule of WW 100% correctly (as Fred was). The situation you (Latebloomer) described was an opportunity to teach those members about proper point counting and being honest with themselves. Catering to those who don't listen while busting on those who do is unfair and unhelpful to all involved.

I didn't explain this well. The leader DID point out that these burritos were not in fact zero and people IGNORED HER in their excitement to find zero point Mexican food. (I wasn't actually at this meeting but my exercise buddy was.) The next week, when I was there, they claimed they were following the WW sanctioned way of counting points by counting each ingredient and getting zero. And zero times six is---zero, right? (Not in WW math!) So, in week two, the leader talked about denial and honesty with ourselves, as you mentioned. I can see why stuff like that might provoke a knee-jerk reaction in leaders. But I agree completely, people like Fred who understands that one equals zero and two does not, are following the plan and should not be harassed. I personally love those tortillas!

Latebloomer

I haven't found these shells, but add me to the one is zero points club. I've read numerous (and reliable places) that fiber binds calories (1 g of fiber binds 4 cals.) Therefore, a low-cal, high fiber food could legitimately have zero points. Of course, as mentioned previously, WW math is unique, and we need to be careful and responsible.

Any help on where I can find those tortillas? We buy La Tortilla Factory ones (one pt a piece) at Sam's Club.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

I understand better now, Latebloomer. Thanks!

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

My leader says 0=0, but 0+0+0 does not = 0, it equals 1. She says if it's 0, it's fine to count it as 0, but don't cheat yourself because 0's add up to points and you'll end up gaining if you cheat yourself and don't count them. I love my leader!

-Christina

1st Goal: Size 18

weight.png

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.

-Dr. Phil