Health Discovery Network
whitney0238

just realized i've been doing this all wrong- HELP!

i've been on ww for about 2 and a half weeks. i don't have meetings in my area or the money to subscribe online right now, so i've been following the program on my own. i've just realized by reading a post on the weightwatchers.com forums that 1 point does not necessarily always add up to 2 points when you double it. for instance, sometimes i will have two 100 calorie packs which are worth 2 points each and count that as 4 points, but apparently that's wrong? can you guys please help me out and explain the "adding up" system to me? i mean, does this mean that if i have two apples in one sitting, worth 1 point each, that they don't actually add up to 2 points together? i'm really confused. :(

Guest tmccutcheon

thanks for the reply...I am not going to get discouraged....just thought I would have lost a little more. I was told in my last meeting that if I ate something that was 1 point and had the same thing back to back...it was considered as 2 points. Hope that helps.

Let's say you have a tortilla with 100 calories, 0 fat, and 4 g fiber. That will work out to 1.33 pts (rounding down to 1). If you have another, you will have a total of 200 cal and 8 g fiber, only 4 of which you will be able to use, since there's a 4 g fiber cap. This means 3.33 pts. Apples are fine, as far as I know. Just be careful when you are eating other high-fiber foods, like beans.

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

When you eat more than one serving of an item, in order to calculate the points you double the calories, fat and fiber and recalculate the points (using no more than 4 grams of fiber). This is why in WWer math 1 + 1 does not always equal 2.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

i'm still kindof confused because you guys gave me two different answers. the point calculator i've been using doesn't have decimals, so everything i figure out comes to 1 point, 2 point, etc. what's the difference though, if i have a 100 calorie pack at lunch and 100 calorie pack at dinner, or if i just have both of them at once? isn't it the same number of calories going in? should i count an EXTRA point for a situation like this?

okay, i understand now, nevermind. so you have to recalculate the points ONLY IF you have two servings of something, excluding fruits and veggies? does this also count for dairy? or is this just because of the 4g fiber cap, so I should just recalculate if i know an item has a lot of fiber in it?

okay, i understand now, nevermind. so you have to recalculate the points ONLY IF you have two servings of something, excluding fruits and veggies? does this also count for dairy? or is this just because of the 4g fiber cap, so I should just recalculate if i know an item has a lot of fiber in it?
It's partly because of the fibre cape, but it also has to do with rounding... the calculator you are using only goes to whole points, so say something has 120 cals, no fat, no fibre... that's 2 pts. But have two of them, now you've got 240 calories... that's 5 pts.

This counts generally for anything you have more than one serving of in one sitting (i.e. the same meal or snack).

Lori 2.0, new and improved!

You should calculate it for everything - not just foods high in fiber ... for any food that you have multiple servings at one time, add up all the NI and figure out your points

For example ...

1 Mike's light hard lemonade is 78-0-0 = 2 points

2 of them are 156-0-0= 3 points.

NOT that i'm advocating drinking .. it's just an example!

Sometimes the points work "in" your favor, and sometimes they don't. You just need to be consistent.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

thanks so much guys, i appreciate the help. this is coming as a shock because i can't imagine how many extra points i have been using up throughout the day.

so this is ONLY if i have two servings of something in ONE sitting? but if i spread them out over the day then i could just count them normally? like i said, if i have a 2 point snack before lunch and a 2 point snack before dinner (both the same item), then i can just count them as 2 points...but if i were to have them BOTH as my snack before dinner, that would add up not to 4 points but a different number? this is what's really confusing to me because it seems like it would still be the same number of calories going into my body whether or not they are in one sitting...

so this is ONLY if i have two servings of something in ONE sitting? but if i spread them out over the day then i could just count them normally?

From my understanding, yes.

this is what's really confusing to me because it seems like it would still be the same number of calories going into my body whether or not they are in one sitting...

Yes, it is the same amount of calories, but it isn't necessarily the same number of points when you double the fat/calories/fiber info. Points aren't based only on calories. Hope that helps. :salut

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

so this is ONLY if i have two servings of something in ONE sitting? but if i spread them out over the day then i could just count them normally? like i said, if i have a 2 point snack before lunch and a 2 point snack before dinner (both the same item), then i can just count them as 2 points...but if i were to have them BOTH as my snack before dinner, that would add up not to 4 points but a different number? this is what's really confusing to me because it seems like it would still be the same number of calories going into my body whether or not they are in one sitting...

It IS the same number of calories... I *think* that the "servings per sittings" rule of thumb is just easiest to track. Really, as long as your consistent in how you track your points, it should work out. Some things you'll lose a half point on, other things you'll gain a half point on...

Lori 2.0, new and improved!

At least you figured it out now and can plan accordingly...

Isn't this board just great for getting the help you need?

212/182/155/161/

HW/SW/Goal/CW/

Lifetime Reached 4/24/07

Been up and down since 2007- focusing back on the DOWN as my new personal goal is 155.... Rejoined Dec 6, 2010

As BarbA pointed out, this sometimes actually works in your favor, too. For instance, 1 Morningstar Farms (fake) sausage patty is 2 pts. But when you double the calories, fat, and fiber and eat two patties, it only costs you 1 more point (3 pts total for 2 patties).

Don't feel bad about not knowing exactly how this worked. For people like me that find regular math challenging, WW math can be downright mind-boggling. :bcb_grin

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

Guest NYGUY44

im new to this and had the same problem in figuring this out, the replies in this thread help but im still a little confused as to how to factor in the fiber and fat into the points?

I'm glad to know that the WW calculator only does whole points. I was about to buy it, but I'm re-thinking that now. I would prefer if it used decimels. I guess I will calculate everything on my own using the formula.

I cook for myself the vast majority of the time. I rarely buy pre-packaged foods, so figuring out points is going to be a bit more challenging... I did buy the food value book (complete food companion), but now that I look at it again, I think it rounds up too, for instance:

butter: 1 tbsp = 3 pts

olive oil: 1 tbsp = 4 pts

Why would butter have less points than olive oil?

I See What Everyone Is Saying But My Question Is-with 0 Point Foods,when Do You Start Adding Points For Them?like With The Ww Veg Soup Say,i Eat A Huge Bowl Sometimes For Lunch.is That Points?

:work_out:

I never counted 0 point veggies no matter how many I ate. However for things like the high fiber tortillas or SF Jello I would add a point when the calories equalled about 50.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

I guess I have an older WW. calculator, because mine does decimals.

Glad you got it figured out.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

I've just realized I never did this either. Do you double the fat grams and fiber too. I know you would double the calories. For instance I ate 2 sugar free cinnamon rolls this morning. 110 calories, 3.5 fat grams and 1 fiber. Can someone use this as an example? The other had no fiber or fat grams to answer this question. Thanks!

~*~ Busy Bee 2~*~

Lifetime 11/01

Recommitted AGAIN & AGAIN on 1-1-07

SW 158.2 :mad:

CW 133.2 :o

GW 125 :)

I've just realized I never did this either. Do you double the fat grams and fiber too. I know you would double the calories. For instance I ate 2 sugar free cinnamon rolls this morning. 110 calories, 3.5 fat grams and 1 fiber. Can someone use this as an example? The other had no fiber or fat grams to answer this question. Thanks!

Yes, you double everything. So for your 2 cinnamon rolls it would be 220 calories, 7 grams fat, 2 grams fiber. Using my points slider that is 5 points. One would be 2 points.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Yes, you double everything.
But cap the fiber at four, right? You can't make the fiber eight if one serving is already at four grams. Four is the limit. :salut

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

But cap the fiber at four, right? You can't make the fiber eight if one serving is already at four grams. Four is the limit. :salut

Yes, that's right. The example she gave didn't force the cap on the fiber.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Thanks for your help. Now I wonder if I have been figuring soup, casseroles, etc. wrong too. I have figured the points for each item that I put in, added it at the end and divided by the number of servings. Do you just add the total number of calories, fat and fiber and divide at the end? I just love BCB, it is so helpful!! I don't know how anyone does WW without it!

~*~ Busy Bee 2~*~

Lifetime 11/01

Recommitted AGAIN & AGAIN on 1-1-07

SW 158.2 :mad:

CW 133.2 :o

GW 125 :)