Health Discovery Network

What low point items do you buy at Costco? I buy Laughing Cow cheese, boca burgers, morningstar sausage patties, Kashi cereal and oatmeal. I am sure I am missing some good stuff.

SW 245

CW 185

Goal 135

:jump_jack60 Pounds Gone Forever:jump_jack

Smoke Free 739 Days

In our area their fresh produce is wonderful. We also get bottled water, Kashi TLC bars, chicken, and canned tuna. My WWer leader was mentioning something at our last meeting and I can't remember what it is now. I think it was one of the one point ice cream bars.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Turkey burgers, yogurt, and these Japanese thingies on skewers. Also frozen fruit and veg and the salad mix that comes in a clear clamshell-type container. I used to get the cups of instant mashed potatoes.

And I avoid a certain cereal-that-shall-not-be-named. :bcb_drill

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

Guest Starrbrite

Take a look at the real Costco Queen!!!:bcb_cool2

I do very little cooking, so Costco is extremely important to me. I try to shop at local grocers as much as I can, as a matter of conscience, but Costco is the best for so many things. Here's a partial list:

• Without a doubt, start with the roasted chicken. The skin is easily removed. The weight is excellent. You can hardly cook your own chicken at the price. (And you have to admit that the flavor at Costco ios delilcious.) I buy one every week.
  • Frozen shrimp, tails removed.
  • Frozen edamame
  • Frozen blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries. Look at the label for the contents: blueberries, starberries, and blackberries. I met the guy who trucked the frozen berries to the store. He said he had picked up the berries two days earlier form the farm, then took it to be frozen, and then delivered it to the store. You can't get much better, for knowing the origin of the food.
  • Frozen salmon individually wrapped..
  • Frozen tilapia individually wrapped
  • Frozen Boca or Gardenvegetable burgers.
  • Fresh Ground turkey
  • Fresh pork loin roasts. These are delicious. They are marinated and ready to cook. I throw it in a crockpot and have it that evening.
  • Healthy Choice fudgesicles. (Very satisfying)
  • Slim Cow ice cream sandwiches. (I always want more of this, though.)

The produce section has excellent foods, although they are a bit high. They are, however, top quality. I cannot go without the following each week:

1. A bag of six heads of romaine lettuce.
  2. A big carton of grape tomatoes
  3. A big bag of spinach. (I use spinach in everything: salads, soups, sandwiches.)
  4. A bag of baby carrots (one for two or three weeks).
  5. Sometimes a box of spring mix greens
  6. A bunch of bananas. ($1.30 for the entire bunch.)
  7. Strawberries when in season.
  8. Mangos in the bottle with their own juice.
  9. Peach mango salsa sauce
  10. A bag of celery (usually three stalks)
  11. Portabello mushrooms
  12. Pineapple already sliced and ready to be eaten.
  13. I got anjou pears this past week and they were delicious.
  14. Cherries (either American or Chilean)
  15. Grapes
  16. Avacados
  17. Walla Walla onions
  18. Teensy tiny potatoes

Other stuff

• Huge bags and boxes of Splenda
  • Campbell's tomato soup (when the stock that I have bought on sale from local stores is gone)
  • Canned mushrooms, tomatoes
  • Kirkland Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Kirkland Balsamic vinegar
  • Kirkland fish oil
  • Kirkland generic brand of "Move Free"

I'm sure that I buy other stuff there. (I used to buy bakery products, especially the cakes for birthdays. Their bakery products are excellent, but I don't use that stuff much anymore.)

That's my memorized shopping list. I do love that store. As I said earlier I get my other stuff from local grocers as a matter of conscience.

Guest NaomiRP
As I said earlier I get my other stuff from local grocers as a matter of conscience.
At least if you are shopping 'big box' you are shopping Costco...

from the NY Times:

Costco's average pay, for example, is $17 an hour, 42 percent higher than its fiercest rival, Sam's Club. And Costco's health plan makes those at many other retailers look Scroogish. One analyst, Bill Dreher of Deutsche Bank, complained last year that at Costco "it's better to be an employee or a customer than a shareholder."

Mr. Sinegal begs to differ. He rejects Wall Street's assumption that to succeed in discount retailing, companies must pay poorly and skimp on benefits, or must ratchet up prices to meet Wall Street's profit demands.

Good wages and benefits are why Costco has extremely low rates of turnover and theft by employees, he said. And Costco's customers, who are more affluent than other warehouse store shoppers, stay loyal because they like that low prices do not come at the workers' expense. "This is not altruistic," he said. "This is good business."