Health Discovery Network
Guest faithgirl

Any canned salmon ideas?

Guest faithgirl

I have a can of salmon and I'm wondering who has some recipe ideas? Canned salmon is CORE, isn't it?

Salmon Patties

Ingredients

1 egg, beaten

¼ cup milk

¼ cup chopped green onions

1 Tbsp. snipped fresh dill or 1 tsp. dried dill

¼ tsp. black pepper

1 (14 ¾-ounce) can salmon, drained, flaked,

and skin and bones removed

¼ cup fine dry bread crumbs

1 Tbsp. cooking oil

In a medium bowl combine the egg, milk, green onions, dill, and pepper. Add salmon and bread crumbs and mix well. Form mixture into eight patties with press. In a large skillet cook patties in hot oil over medium-low heat about 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. If desired serve with Honey Mustard Sauce or Tartar Sauce.

Yield: 4 servings

I make tartar sauce w/ ff mayo, chopped dill hamburger dill slices, onion salt, garlic salt.

Enjoy!

Sailorwoman

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Yes, it's Core.

...Wasn't there a salmon pie of some sort? That was what I had planned to do with my other can of salmon. I tried searching, but no luck. :bcb_confu

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

Geez Louise! I'm sorry! I posted the wrong recipe. That one (Salmon Patties) is okay, but I like this one (from the back of the Bumble Bee can) much better. It is from my pre-WW days, so to make it core we'd need to change the whole wheat bread crumbs to something else, ground oats or cream of wheat, maybe. I haven't experimented with it yet. But this is actually the recipe that I make, when I make them....

Salmon Burgers

1 can salmon

1 egg, slightly beaten

½ cup each: chopped onion, chopped green pepper, whole wheat bread crumbs (try sub ground oats to make core)

1 TBSP lemon juice

1 tsp. grated lemon peel

1/8 tsp. black pepper

Drain salmon, pick over and flake.

Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Form into 4 patties.

Pan fry in Pam until lightly browned on both sides.

You've got me on a canned salmon thing, now, and I'm trying an adapted-to-be-Core Salmon Bisque. If it turns out any good, I'll post it.

Have a great day,

Sailorwoman

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

I made the bisque and it was good. I've posted it. I called it Salmon-Tomato Bisque.

Sailorwoman

Sailorwoman

The easiest "recipe" I have is to mix a can of salmon with a can of vegetable soup. You don't need to drain the salmon, just break it up a bit. I leave the skin and bones in too - they're good for you. You make the soup as usual, and you can even make it with milk instead of water for a different version. A dollop of ff sour cream on top is nice. My whole family likes it. People at work say "mmmmm, smellls good, looks good!"

I often make the salmon burgers, very similar to the recipe above but with just salmon, oat bran, green onions and egg. I don't take out the skin and bones either, just mash them in. Lots of calcium in the bones, and when they're mashed they're completely undetectable. (I know because DH doesn't like the idea of eating the skin and bones, and he can't tell LOL!) I substitute oat bran or instant oatmeal for the breadcrumbs, you could probably use cream of wheat too. I don't drain the salmon so I don't need the milk for moisture. They are very tasty hot, and are great cold too for lunches. They can be a bit delicate so be careful turning them in the pan, but they firm up as they cool.

All canned salmon is wild salmon, is says so on the can, which is nice to know. It's a super healthy food because of the omega-3s in it.

We eat a lot of canned salmon. When it's on sale I stock up, and more than once I have been asked at the cash register "Do you have a cat?" Nope, just a taste for salmon!

"Hunger is the best sauce"

my Mom

Yes, it's Core.

Sorry, but it's not completely Core. You'll have to count the pts for the breadcrumbs. And make sure to use FF milk.

I substitue cornmeal for the breadcrumbs to make it 100% Core.

:) Smiling Fred :)

SW - 295

WW goal - 200

My goal - 180

CW - 210

HT 75"

Lifetime in 1994

Sorry, but it's not completely Core. You'll have to count the pts for the breadcrumbs. And make sure to use FF milk.

I substitute cornmeal for the breadcrumbs to make it 100% Core.

The 1/4 cup breadcrumbs has 2 points, and 1/4 cup of 2% milk has half a point. So for each of the 4 servings, the breadcrumbs have half a point and the milk has one eighth of a point. If I was having one serving I'd probably "round down" the 5/8 points to 0 points and count it as core if I didn't happen to have the core equivalents of cornmeal/oat bran or ff milk.

"Hunger is the best sauce"

my Mom