Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
twinmomma

what is your favorite cookbook?

just wondering what are your favorite cookbooks? Do you just use some of your old ones and convert them to WW??:bcb_bigsm

Whitney Momma to SIX kiddos!

Identical twin boys-DSx2-4-01

DD-2-04

DS-5-06

DS-5-08

DS another boy!!! 3-10

Guest ~Wendy~

I do both so I really dont have a favorite all time one.

I took alot of my Moms Recipes and converted them to more PT friendly.

Lately I have been using the WW Pure Comfort book alot.

But I also search the internet for some I want to try and make it more PT friendly or I use alot my cookbooks I already have

Anything by Rachael Ray. I do WW online, so I use the recipe builder on the WW site to figure out points.

I also use allrecipies.com all the time. Most of those recipes have nutritional info, and they are free!!:bcb_up

Cheryl

Started WW 1/22/07

SW 143 :bcb_worry

CW 135.2 :bcb_march

GW 125:bcb_bigsm

I like Marc Bittman's "How to Cook Everything". It is huge and has everything in it. I'm a crummy cook so it's been a lifesaver. It's easy to convert to WW-friendly also.

I love cookbooks!

Cooking Light magazines, or any of their annual "Best Of" cookbooks. I like the magazines since they are aligned with seasonal ingredients (and also have workout information). Full nutritional info for all recipes makes it easy to count points.

Joy of Cooking, not for the recipes per se, but because for anything unusual that I pick up at the store and don't know how to cook (grains vegetables meat cuts etc.), I can look it up in the index and have ALWAYS found at least one recipe that I can adapt. (Plus this is a sentimental favorite, my grandfather gave me my copy when I moved out on my own).

Six O'Clock Solutions, put out by the Vancouver Sun (this may only be available regionally but it is worth looking for). This one has recipes that go from ingredients to table in about 30 minutes. Recipes are classified by protien source, and there is an index as to which are low fat / kid friendly / suitable for entertaining / etc. Many of the recipes also have "serve with" ideas for those days when you just don't want to think.

http://www.epicurious.com is an online database with thousands of recipes. Go here when you have something you need to use up before it goes bad, or some unusual condiment you bought for a recipe and now have no idea what to do with the other 7/8ths of the bottle - type whatever it is into the search box, and it will come up with lots of recipe ideas. You can search for low fat / low salt / other dietary restrictions, but if you don't specify, some of the recipes will need to be adapted for lower points.

I also have a coulpe of the WW cookbooks, to me they are less tasty than Cooking Light and less quick than Six O'Clock Solutions so they don't get used as much.

One more suggestion for anyone who just wants some new ideas - go browse the cookbook section at your local library. Try out anything that catches your interest, and copy the recipe down if you want to make it again.

Terri

SW: 309.8 / CW: 265.8 / Next Goal: 253.0 / WW Loss: 44.0 lbs

My favorite everyday cookbook is Calling All Cooks (yellow edition). I make substitutions to make the recipes WW friendly.

wwnUztp

LOVE & BLESSINGS

GAIL

Be faithful, be strong, be diligent.....

it's only good news if told in time.

Guest rachelynn

I really love them all, but my current favorite is "Annual Recipes For Success: 2000"

Lots of goodies in there. Easy to make, too!