Health Discovery Network
~shannon~

Talk to me about exercise...

I just have a couple of questions:

1. Is it okay to exercise everyday or is that to much on the body?

2. I worked out for 6 hours this week but 4.5 was on my recumbent exercise bike, and the rest was either a video or working with resistance bands. Is it okay to do the majority of the exercising on a bike? I try to do other things but the bike is the only thing that I can do for more than a few minutes without bothering my knees.

Thanks!

SW: 227.2 2-1-16...CW: 220.2 GW: 160.:bcb_march

From what I've read and been told there is nothing wrong with exercising every day. However, I understand (and those who are more qualified to answer this feel free to correct me If I'm wrong) if you work one muscle group one day, you should let the muscles rest the next. They need to recover. But I do strength training (bowflex or weights) so I work upper body one day, lower body another. Some days I just do abdominal work. Other days I mix it up, or walk a few miles.

After some injuries a few years ago my Dr. told me I could only do the bike as that has the least impact and stress on your joints. I worked a beginners Yoga tape into my routine and swear to God-My knees improved significantly. Yoga is low impact, tones you all over and improves balance which reduces stress on your knees. Not as easy as it looks/also really lessened my huge appetite.

Over the last few years I have strengthened my knees through exercise and do all kinds of things I couldn't do before. I cross country and downhill ski which would have done my knees in a few years back even climbed some rock walls. I still only do low impact aerobic tapes and can't do allot of jumping from side to side. That makes the old knees sore and stiff. Good luck with your efforts, I hope you feel some improvement.

Mena-Fit for life Grandma:bcbkickbu

SW-191-1999

GW-150- Lifetime 2000

CW-148, 3-18-07 145.5

NGW-140

I will get there. Nothing's stopping me now.

Sounds like you are doing great. As for exercising every day, I wouldn't recommend it. You should take at least one day of rest (or low-intensity activity) a week, to allow your body to recuperate. However, what's low intensity for one person may be high intensity for another. On my "rest" days, I'll often go for a long (leisurely) walk, or an easy bike ride. Or not :-)

It's perfectly fine to do the majority of your cardio exercise on your recumbent bike, especially if that's what works for your knees. When your goal is to elevate your heart rate, it really doesn't matter WHAT you do (as long as you don't hurt yourself!)

In a perfect world, you'd be doing all sorts of different activities, like running, biking, playing sports, swimming, yoga, etc. What I mean is that the more variety you CAN build into your exercise routine, the fitter and more functional you will be overall. But for now, do what you can. All movement is good.

I echo what Potomac said about your knees, though. To the extent you can strengthen them with resistance exercises, you may find them less of a problem. I would speak with your doctor to get specific advice on what exercise can help you.

Also, as you lose weight, your knees will probably improve, though there are no guarantees, of course.

Good luck, and keep up the good work!

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Thanks for the replies, I am glad to see that the bike is okay. I really hope my knee situation will approve with time.

SW: 227.2 2-1-16...CW: 220.2 GW: 160.:bcb_march

I like the recumbent bike too. I use the bike about 5 days a week. I have found ways to vary my workout. Some days I increase the tension a bit, and pedal faster. I do intervals where I try to go 5 or 10 RPM faster than my usual pace. Or I do intervals where I concentrate on pulling up on the foot straps to use different leg and buttock muscles. Then on other days I just spin at a lower RPM for a longer time. Overall I am spinning at a much faster speed, comfortably, than I could at first. My thighs have really changed in shape and firmness.

I try not to slouch on the bike, and keep my abs pulled in. At my height that means I need to put a pillow behind my back. I also have hand weights and do some arm exercises on alternate days, when I am spinning at the slower speeds. I wonder whether some of your resistance band exercises could be done while you are on the bike.

If you experiment a bit you will find ways like this to vary the muscles you use, and vary your intensity. It will give you a better workout than just doing the same thing every day. Be sure to stretch out your arms and legs after you work out (not before). It really enhances the effectiveness of your workout, when you stretch your muscles afterward. It also feels great.

I watch my favourite videos and DVDs while I am on the bike. Sometimes I have long phone chats when I am just spinning. The time just flies and I look forward to this me-time!

Hope your knees are soon better!

"Hunger is the best sauce"

my Mom