Health Discovery Network
eggwhite

Milk, Margarine, and Taco Bell

Okay, I guess these are kind of n00b questions somewhat, but...

1) Is skim milk the same as fat free? Or what is the difference?

2) I am having a hard time finding "fat-free" butter or margarine? What brand do you use? I had bought the 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' spray, which has no calories, but I might as well be spraying cooking spray on my food for all the flavor that comes through. So today at the store I bought that 'SmartBalance' stuff... it was the best I could find.

3) My fast food Achilles heel right now are the steak grilled taquitos from Taco Bell. I get them with sour cream (eep!) but I could always bring them home and use ff sour cream. I went to the Taco Bell web site to get nutritional info, but they're not on there. Is there another web site where I could try to figure out the points (without having to tear one apart and measure how big the tortilla is and how much meat is in there)? Or has anyone else already calculated the points value for these?

~*~ Hannah Lee ~*~

:embarrassDON'T POSTPONE YOURSELF.:embarrass

~There's no shortcut to anywhere worth going.~

Started WW at home on 3/11/2007

HW/SW: 240 || CW: 225

Okay, I guess these are kind of n00b questions somewhat, but...

1) Is skim milk the same as fat free? Or what is the difference?

Yes, I think they're the same.

2) I am having a hard time finding "fat-free" butter or margarine? What brand do you use? I had bought the 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' spray, which has no calories, but I might as well be spraying cooking spray on my food for all the flavor that comes through. So today at the store I bought that 'SmartBalance' stuff... it was the best I could find.

We use either real butter (smaller quantities) or Promise margarine. I just try to limit the amount I use of either one.

3) My fast food Achilles heel right now are the steak grilled taquitos from Taco Bell. I get them with sour cream (eep!) but I could always bring them home and use ff sour cream. I went to the Taco Bell web site to get nutritional info, but they're not on there. Is there another web site where I could try to figure out the points (without having to tear one apart and measure how big the tortilla is and how much meat is in there)? Or has anyone else already calculated the points value for these?

Did you know you could order items from Taco Bell "fresco style"? This removes the cheese and sour cream (I think) and replaces it with pico di gallo. Many of their locations don't advertise this, but will provide it if you ask. And when you use the nutritional information calculator on the Taco Bell website you can select fresco style for the calculation. The only thing is that even though your steak grilled taquitos are shown on the website under speciality menu items, they aren't on the nutrition calculator. :bcb_huh:

D

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Guest NebraskaGuy

1. FF and skim milk is the same. That being said, most 1% milk is the same point value as skim milk and tastes a whole lot better

2. I use either Blue Bonnet Light (1pt per tablespoon) or Country Crock with Calcium added (also 1 pt per tablespoon) and I cant taste the difference between that and full fat butter/margarine. The only thing I use the spray butter for is a grilled cheese sammich.

3. Calorie King has all/most of Taco Bells NI. http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fast-food-chains-restaurants_c-Y2lkPTIxJmJpZD05OTQmc2lkPS0xJnBhcj0.html

ff=skim and while same pts as 1%- is core where 1% is not becaue 1% is more calories. Once you get used to skim it is one fine milk product

there are light margarines that are 35 cal per 2 tsp and lighter ones that are 25 cal per 2 tsp- smartbalance would be one of them

regular butter and regular margarine are the same calories about double 70 cal

so choose the light.

Sorry but I don;t frequent fast food that much if at all anymore.

Good Luck

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

Thanks for the milk clarification and the butter/margarine input! (Actually, using that spray for a grilled cheese sounds good...now if only I could find low-fat [non-mozzarella] cheese!)

And I was able to find the taquitos on CalorieKing.com! I'd never been to that site, but definitely have it bookmarked now. Thanks!

~*~ Hannah Lee ~*~

:embarrassDON'T POSTPONE YOURSELF.:embarrass

~There's no shortcut to anywhere worth going.~

Started WW at home on 3/11/2007

HW/SW: 240 || CW: 225

Guest NebraskaGuy

Kraft makes a fat free cheddar that is good. 1 pt for a qtr cup of shredded and they make a 2% slice of American that is only 1 pt as well. Velvetta also makes a 2% version and you get one ounce of that for a pt too.

Thanks for the milk clarification and the butter/margarine input! (Actually, using that spray for a grilled cheese sounds good...now if only I could find low-fat [non-mozzarella] cheese!)

And I was able to find the taquitos on CalorieKing.com! I'd never been to that site, but definitely have it bookmarked now. Thanks!

If you know how to figure out the points you can go to www.yum.com and go to nutrition area. They have it so you can customize your order.

SW: 227.2 2-1-16...CW: 220.2 GW: 160.:bcb_march

I love the Steak soft tacos at Taco Bell. They taste better Fresco style and are only 3 points. 170 Calories, 5 grams of fat and 2g fiber

170/50 + 5/12 - 2/5 = 3.4

With Fresco style they remove any sauce and cheese and replace it with Fresco sauce (tomatoes, onions, and cilantro). This is actually the only way to get cilantro on your Taco Bell and I love cilantro for good flavor.

All TB Nutrion Data is at http://www.yum.com/nutrition/documents/tb_nutrition.pdf

I print these up and keep a binder.

ONWARD

:bcb_tank:

Dan 'the Man' Taylor

SW - 421.6 (3.26.07)

CW - 405.6 (4.23.07)

10% - 379.6

The DAVID and DAN Challenge

!! 30 lbs in 2 months !!

April 4 - June 4, 2007

~ + ~ + ~ David - ???? lbs? ~ + ~ + ~

~ + ~ + ~ Dan - 15.2 lbs ~ + ~ + ~