Health Discovery Network
nancyny

Hot Cross Buns

"Baked in the old days on Good Friday and signed with a cross, hot cross buns were believed by many Britons never to get moldy, and they were often hung in kitchens as lucky charms." -- from The Book of Bread

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hot Cross Buns

Recipe By : nancyny

Servings : 36

Categories : Breads

--------------------------------

1 1/4 C milk, skim

2 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast

3 1/2 Cups White Flour

1 Tsp Salt

2 Tbsps brown sugar

1 Tsp Cinnamon

3/4 Tsp Nutmeg

1/4 Tsp Allspice

1/4 Tsp Cloves

2 Eggs

2 Tbsp Butter -- softened

1/2 C Currants

1/2 C Confectioner's Sugar -- for glaze

Heat milk just to lukewarm. Pour over yeast.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, and spices. Make a well in the center and pour in the dissolved yeast.

Stir and add the eggs, one at a time, and beat in the softened butter. Add a little more flour if necessary to make a firm dough. (I always need about 1/4 c. more flour.) Fold in the currants, mixing them evenly through the dough.

Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double in volume -- about 2 hours.

Punch down the dough, turn out onto a floured surface, and knead briefly – less than a minute.

Cut into 36 even-size pieces (see notes). Shape into round buns by kneading lightly and pinching the seams together at the bottoms. Place on greased baking sheets about 1-1/2 to 2 inches apart.

Cover lightly and let rise in a fairly warm place until double -- about 30 min. or so.

Bake at 425 degrees for approx. 10 min. until golden. Let cool on racks.

For glaze, mix confectioner's sugar with 2 tsp. milk (or so). Using a chopstick or the handle of a wooden spoon, drizzle the glaze over the buns in the form of a cross. (hint: this is easiest if you have the buns arranged in a grid!)

Original instructions: just before baking, make a cross in each bun using scissors, snipping quite deep. (I skip this.)

Source:

The Book of Bread, Judith and Evan Jones

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 73 Calories; 1g Fat; 2g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 74mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch).

NOTES : Weight Watchers POINTS: 1 Point each, 3 Points for 2.

This is how I make 36 buns. I divide the dough into 2 equal parts. These days I use a scale to weigh them. Then I divide those parts (total 4 sections). Each section is a bit under 9 oz. I divide this more or less equally into 9 buns (again, using the scale); each bun is approx. 1 oz. I shape these and put them on the baking sheet. Then repeat with each of the other 3 sections.

My personal variation: I use 1/4 c. (real) maple syrup instead of brown sugar. If you do this, reduce the milk to 1 C. and add the syrup to the milk and yeast.

Since this is a WW board: Yeast can use a bit of sugar to grow properly. I do not recommend subbing artificial sweetener for the brown sugar. You reduce the Points by 2 over the whole recipe, at the risk of having the bread not come out "right." You could sub white sugar or honey. If you use honey, adjust the liquids as for maple syrup.

The original recipe makes 18 buns. I make 36 because I make them for church coffee hour and the smaller portions work better. If I made them full size I'd have to cut them in half to serve!

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie