Health Discovery Network
Guest Mommyof1

Is a potatoe a veggie?

Guest Mommyof1

Can I count my baked potatoe as a serving of my veggies? Just wondering? Thanks for responding!

Sherri

My leader told us you can count starchy veggies and also veggie protein such as beans and tofu, etc. towards your 5 fruit and veggie servings. Also count the Points on Flex.

I don't count grains, so I don't count popcorn and sweet corn, but some people do.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Yuppers -

I often eat one of those Green Giant - individual servings of Broccoli and Cheese (1pt) with a baked potato (3pts) and I am FULL

Don't even miss butter/sour cream this way

212/182/155/161/

HW/SW/Goal/CW/

Lifetime Reached 4/24/07

Been up and down since 2007- focusing back on the DOWN as my new personal goal is 155.... Rejoined Dec 6, 2010

My leader told us you can count starchy veggies and also veggie protein such as beans and tofu, etc. towards your 5 fruit and veggie servings. Also count the Points on Flex.

I don't count grains, so I don't count popcorn and sweet corn, but some people do.

Beans and Tofu count too? AWESOME!

7.gif

I count potatoes, I've never counted popcorn, but I eat a 1 pt bag almost everyday. Maybe I should count it towards my veggies...

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Sorry no, can't count popcorn (don't I wish). :bcb_grin

Any time I'm in doubt about whether something can be counted as a fruit or veggie, I check the food pyramid.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html

Thought popcorn seemed too good to be true.... Thanks for the link ~ I'll definitely be counting my beans and tofu now, though!

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

well- my own personal take on this comes from when wt watchers was exchanges. They had fruit/veggies, starch, protein, fat

and veggies such as potatoes and beans were counted as starches and not as veggies for purposes of the program.

On this program you should be eating a TON of 0 pt veggies, salads, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, celery, mushrooms, zuchinni, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, cucumbers, pickles, pickled veggies, tomatoes, spinach, endive, bok choy, napa cabbage, and the list goes on

if you are counting potatoes and beans as veggies and not going over 5- My take is you are in trouble.. for the lifetime of it all- whether those things are veggies or not- you should be eating lots of the other stuff (and thus not have to worry about whether a potato or bean or popcorn is a veggie)

Good Luck

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

Back in the Exchange days it was also 2-3 fruits & 2 or more veggies. That's 4-5 by today's reckoning, more from the free group if you wanted. Today we are not required to have one serving from the "#4 veggie" group per day either... (that group contained peas, fresh/frozen lima beans, winter squash/pumpkin, beets, and a few other high sugar / starch veggies.)

We can go on and on about what WW has done in the past. On today's WW program, if they say a potato counts, then it counts.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

How odd-corn is a vegetable, popcorn is a grain.

I promise that you could not tell the difference between the two in a field!

Thanks for the link-very helpful.

Ideally we would be eating all the things reelriot lists, but babysteps--if you were eating NO fruits and veggies before, eating 5 potatoes a day is an improvement! Sometimes I think we discourage the beginners with all of our "SHOULDS". As long as we are improving our habits, thats what matters.

Just my $.02

Latebloomer

Latebloomer- I agree about the corn thing- it's kind of goofy. :bcb_smile I guess a person could say that all grains are "vegetables", in the sense that they are the seeds from vegetation, but it gets a little dicey when categorizing them for eating/WW purposes.

However, potatoes are most certainly vegetables, just like all the other root vegetables! They contain fiber, vitamins, and minerals and there's no reason to avoid them. The less fat/salt we put on them, the better, obviously. :bcb_smile

I have not been counting beans/tofu as veggies- didn't even think of it. So it's good to know that I am getting even more servings than I thought- thanks for making the point about checking the pyramid, Luanne!

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

I've always counted taters as veggies. Baked potatoes, steak fries (sliced and baked, not french fries), hash browns/home fries, etc...

Hmmm... don't they make vodka from potatoes? :bcb_wink3

Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Hmmm... don't they make vodka from potatoes? :bcb_wink3

Todd you always crack me up!!:bcb_bigsm

Phyllis

Highest Wgt 255.5 July 7, 2006 :bcb_mad2

Restart Wgt 231.5 Sept. 29 2008:bcb_blush

Current Wgt 231.5 :bcb_blush

Goal wgt 140:bcb_up