Health Discovery Network
VeronicaMars

How did you know WW was the right program for you?

I am 5'2", 33, and have been putting on an extra 5 lbs a year since I hit my 30s. Now that I'm starting to grow out of some of my clothes, it is becoming clear that I need to take this more seriously. I want to lose the 15 pounds and keep it off forever while being able to eat yummy junky things (cake, french fries, potato chips) that I enjoy occasionally. As an option, WW is coming out pretty well in the research I've done, but I am curious as to why some of you made this decision in favor of WW.

Every "Plan" seems to have its die hard fans and success stories. I've read Dr. Abravanel's book and took his test and can see some validity in his dominant gland approach (I gain weight and have cravings accd to the gland I tested as--gonad), but I had serious issues with some of the diet guidelines...most particularly the long times required between meals so I never tried it. I half heartedly attempted Michael Thurmond's six week makeover to prepare for a cruise. I did the exercise wholeheartedly and the food halfheartedly (which was always my intention oddly enough) and I toned up to my pre-wedding size of my late 20s (though not at pre-wedding weight).

I want to start out as I mean to go on and want to believe in the process and program, so that I can stick to it. I hate the idea of a "diet" and don't know many people who've kept weight off once they have gone on diets. I've seen a LOT of spectacular failures though. I understand that my body is changing and I need to learn to eat in a way to take that into account, but I have a couple WW concerns. I hate the idea of the meetings and weigh-ins, and if they did interest me I'd have a major problem finding time to go. Also the JAMA article that heard about that claimed there was only a 6 lb average loss among ppl who stuck with WW for 2 years. I am hoping that was misquoted because I'd never stay on any program for 2 years if all it netted was a 6lbs loss.

I set today as a goal date to begin something before I considered WW, so as of now I'm working on my exercise/nutrition journal, drinking 75 oz of water, exercising every day, and eating every 3 hours. At the end of the week, I'm hoping to know if WW is the way for me to go, if a different plan is the way to go, or if controlling portions/making healthy choices of my own is the way to go. Any help any of you can offer or stories you can share if you've been in this position, I'd appreciate it so much!!

Hi there,

The reason I chose WW was it was not a restrictive "diet." I don't have to give up my favorite foods, or entire food groups. It teaches you to plan, and make healthy choices. I hate to sound like a cliche, but it's a lifestyle change. I could never follow other plans that make you eliminate food groups, or never go out to eat again. I needed a plan that I could live with for life. So far it's working!

Like you, I put a lot of effort and research into what plan I chose. I finally decided on WW, and I'm glad I did. Good luck!

I wanted a program that did not eliminate food groups or use packaged foods or diet supplements in place of normal foods and had a group support system. I like the balance and flexibility of WW, emphasis on portion control and exercise. For me, no matter what the program, I have to be at a time in my life that I can focus on my needs and spend mental energy of planning. In the past, I achieved life membership and a change in job which included a long commute knocked out my focus. This time I am semi-retired and have taken the time to plan delicious meals and fill my compact freezer with individual servings. WW has changed since my first time in and I find the customized points very helpful and by the mid to end of the day I am not hungry. Because of the flexibility I can look for new ways to try to kick start off plateaus (watching sodium and sugar carefully, adding lots of fiber, eliminating empty points) and feel very optimistic. There have been weeks of plateau or weight gain, but since I stayed on program, I don't worry about it. My weight loss has averaged a little over 1# a week (I would prefer 2) but I am loosing and have confidence in the program.

marge

there s a dance in the old dame yet toujours gai toujours gai

SW: 206

CW: 162.5

40# 2/5

HW: 146

weight.png

I chose WW because it is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I made it to goal and Lifetime, but gained some weight back over the past year and am now back on plan.

I do not like to be told what or when to eat something. And I like to have my ice cream once or twice a week (or eat a slice of cake or pizza at a party). And, in order to lose weight, I have to eat when I am hungry.

(The trick, as WW teaches, is to distinguish when you are TRULY hungry from those times when you just WANT to eat...and then to eat something appropriate in terms of portion size and nutrition).

The beauty of WW is that it teaches you how to have those things without feeling like a failure. It is NOT an all-or-nothing diet. THAT is what makes it different from so many (dare I say ALL?) other diets.

As for the research you quoted about the average loss being only 6 lbs after 5 years, I'll bet that includes all the people who start, then stop after only a few months or weeks.

To really succeed on WW, you MUST become part of a support group, either here online, or at a local meeting. It is the experience, accountability, collective wisdom, and even the forgiveness, of "fellow sufferers" (how my local leader used to greet us!) that will keep you on track. (Not to mention all the recipes and meal ideas!) You CANNOT do this alone.

I bet that, if you were to take a poll here, on the Bootcamp, that the "average" loss after 5 years would be substantially higher than that 6 lbs.)(Also, remember that, sometimes even a small loss in percentage of body weight can bring SIGNIFICANT health benefits. That's why WW places so much emphasis on losing your first 10%).

Why not try WW? You really don't have anything to lose. Except maybe your registration fee, which is worthy paying in order to get the materials. I think it's $35? And, sometimes you can join for free, depending on current promotions. Anyhow, that's a lot cheaper than some of those other "programs..."

Good luck,

Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

PS to my previous post:

FYI - The REASON I gained some of my weight back this past year? Because I wasn't RELYING on my buddies here the way I should have been. I can't stress enough the importance of the group. If you are NOT ready to commit to a support group, WW probably will not work for you....just my own experience.

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

When I was in my teens and twenties, both my sister and a very close friend successfully lost weight and kept it off with WW. In the back of my mind, I told myself that if my weight ever became an issue (I didn't think it would), Weight Watchers would be a tool that I would most likely use. Like you I noticed that people who go on a diet lose weight for a few weeks or months, but they inevitably go "off" of the diet and gain weight. I like the "process" of WW: good health guidelines, weekly accountability, working towards a goal, then having to maintain the goal. I'm learning the process of maintenance. I also really enjoy meetings, it's motivating for me to be in a room with a bunch of people who are on a similar journey.

When I began to gain weight, I thought of Weight Watchers but didn't join. Even though my eating/living habits had gradually totally changed I didn't recognize it and thought I could fix it on my own. I tried an eating plan created by Denise Austin and the Zone (which both had good food and principles), but they didn't work long term because I was putting myself in a cycle of sacrifice/gratification.

I would drive past WW and look at the website, but I don't think that I was ready to adopt a new (old) lifestyle, so I didn't join. Every Saturday I told myself that I would start eating better on Monday. There are many reasons why I finally joined, listing them would take 5 more paragraphs; but WW is my choice because I know that I not only wanted to lose weight, but I want to keep it off for good.

Amy

SW 164.8

WWG 130

Ideal Range: 118-123

CW 129.0

Lifetime 3/1/07

Why WW? Because it's the only program that continually works for me and I have tried a LOT of weightloss plans! WW is not restrictive. You can enjoy the foods you love (in moderation) and still lose weight. As for having to attend meetings...you don't have to! I have done the meetings in the past and unless you make the time and find yourself a really great leader you don't take away as much as you can from the meetings. Currently I do WW Online which gives me all the info I need. As for support, well that's why I'm part of BCB. This site gives me the support (and info) anybody needs to be successful. I believe they're still offering a free week of WW Online. Or you have the option of ordering the At Home kit and could still use BCB as your support group.

Lisa

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

I think any plan will work. You can even make up your own (ala Jared, the Subway guy). The questions are... is the plan you choose healthy? Is it something you can stick to? When you lose the weight, is it something you can live with and maintain that loss?

WW encourages a healthy lifestyle change i.e. fruit & veggie serving, dairy & water servings, portion control and activity points. (as opposed to restictive diets and pre-packaged meals)

I've been doing it almost 2 years now. I've lost 190ish pounds and I can honestly say that I've never felt like I starved myself. I just hit my goal weight last week, so I'll have to get back to you in the maintenance part.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work out for you, then find something that does.

More power to you! :bcb_up

Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

I choose to join WW, for my friend and I had tried every other diet plan out there and not much success. I still wanted to eat the grocery store foods and not deprive my hubby of the foods that he wanted to see when he came home from a hard day's work. My problem was just giving up too easily, and although I am so new to the WW club, I have noticed that I don't have my regular junk food cravings, I eat, I'm full type thing. I also stepped up my exercising by getting out and walking. My first night of walking was hard, but I just kept telling myself how good it was going to make me feel in the end. Now I'm up to 2km's and gradually will increase that as the weeks move on. :bcb_march

You're on the right step to your goal...coming here and seeking advice and weightloss buddies should help you succeed! :bcb_bigsm

Wishing you big success! :bcb_wink3

~Heather~ :bcb_march

* Take baby steps, you'll get there faster! *

Joined WW April 16, 2007

SW 316.6 (4/16/07)

CW 249.1 (7/1/08)

GW 175

I think any plan will work. You can even make up your own (ala Jared, the Subway guy). The questions are... is the plan you choose healthy? Is it something you can stick to? When you lose the weight, is it something you can live with and maintain that loss?

WW encourages a healthy lifestyle change i.e. fruit & veggie serving, dairy & water servings, portion control and activity points. (as opposed to restictive diets and pre-packaged meals)

I've been doing it almost 2 years now. I've lost 190ish pounds and I can honestly say that I've never felt like I starved myself. I just hit my goal weight last week, so I'll have to get back to you in the maintenance part.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work out for you, then find something that does.

More power to you! :bcb_up

Cosigned!

:bcb_up

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

25.gif Ditto Hoosier Daddy and Paris!

I think that any plan will work also. But what happens when you have lost that weight and break away from that plan. I think that the WW program and meetings are teaching me a healthy, unrestricted way of eating for life, as well as how to handle holidays and situations that arise in everyday life!

:salut MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

The questions are... is the plan you choose healthy? Is it something you can stick to? When you lose the weight, is it something you can live with and maintain that loss?

Bingo. It's the long-term that matters! What are you willing to do for the duration? Figure that out and do it. I didn't want to give up fries/hamburgers on occasion, so I haven't. But I don't eat them as often as I used to and I've found substitutions. I never exercised pre WW. Now I exercise at least 5 days a week. It's a personal journey, so you need to know what you're willing to negotiate with yourself. You can't continue in the same rut, something's gotta change. However, you don't have to change everything. It's moderation, balance, and finding the happy place. WW will give you the keys to find it, but you've got to work to open the doors.

I also second what Jennifer said. Find a home board here or in real life for support. We all get tired and low sometimes. Your buddies will help pick you back up and when you want to celebrate? They'll be there celebrating with you. :) It's a win-win situation.

I've lost almost 30 pounds (it varies from week to week) and have been maintaining for over a year. WW works. Best wishes!

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

I bet that, if you were to take a poll here, on the Bootcamp, that the "average" loss after 5 years would be substantially higher than that 6 lbs.)(Also, remember that, sometimes even a small loss in percentage of body weight can bring SIGNIFICANT health benefits. That's why WW places so much emphasis on losing your first 10%).

Well i'm just about to hit 5 years, with a loss of 56 pounds.

I started getting slightly careless, and now i'm working on getting rid of 3 pounds that crept up on me - but that's the point of WW, learning how to not let things get out of control.

I would give it a month at the very minimum, and really give the lifestyle a chance - it's not just about counting points, its about changing your entire mindset and relationship with food. Which is the difference between a diet and a way of life.

181.2/123/125

Hope I am not too late with my input.

I personally find WW a good balance

It allows me to continue to eat mainstream foods - unlike plans like Nutrasystem, etc and it basically isn't anything more then a good teacher

It helps each person learn their individual calorie intake but makes it easy by concentrating on points. It encourages eating the right amounts of the healthy foods and also encourages exercise. It's pretty absic - eat the right amounts of the right foods and exericise - output greater then input - but the critical key is that the input is healthy.

6 years ago- I lost 45lbs on my own plan - got rid of the bad foods - went to 6 small meals a day and became a gym rat.. 2-3 hrs per day.

Go pg - decided that I was "excused" by having baby fat..lol

4 years later - joined WW - lost 25lbs in what seemed lik 3-4 months and then got pg - now I just lost 51lbs in 8 mths -

I may not stay at this weight- but I can LIVE within 3-5lbs of this weight and still have my cake and eat it too

Please do post what you decided to go with and in the end - Good Luck because you are worth the effort

212/182/155/161/

HW/SW/Goal/CW/

Lifetime Reached 4/24/07

Been up and down since 2007- focusing back on the DOWN as my new personal goal is 155.... Rejoined Dec 6, 2010