Health Discovery Network
jandlsmom

Diet Coke Slowing Weight Loss?

I drink at least 3 Diet Cokes a day, but recently heard that diet soda can slow weight loss. Has anyone else heard this?? Does anyone else drink a lot of diet soda and have an opinion one way or another? Thanks!

When I started WW in 1998 I drank probably 3 Diet Coke's a day... I then started feeling like it was making me bloated. I didn't notice it until I had lost a bit of weight. I stopped drinking it and changed to seltzer or water and felt much better. Now I only allow myself one can of diet soda per day (if at all).... I don't know if it inhibited my weight loss but I really didn't feel the weight loss as much when I did.

Good luck!

Hi, I believe it does slow weight loss for many reasons.

1) Because of what's in it.. lol I don't know what it is but I've heard people including richard simmons says that cutting out soda even diet soda will help you lose weight.

2) I've also heard that for some reason the artifical sugar does something to your system that actually cause you to feel more hungry.

3) Also for me personally I've found that if I am drinking diet coke I won't be getting the water I need during the day. Plus I was told if you're drinking regular diet coke (as oppposed to caffeine free) you actually need more water to counteract the caffeine in your system.

I've found for me (most people are grossed out by it) that drinking sparkling water or mineral water helps me. It's just carbonated water (what's in soda minus the flavoring) it's kind of bitter tasting but bubbly. I drink a two liter of that every day for my water, as far as I know it counts as my water because it is water just carbonated. I've found that it's the bubblies I like from the soda = ) so this helps with my cravings. I allow myself two sodas a week. (my weakness is fountain soda) I haven't gained once since cutting back and I haven't had a binge episode since either. So in my long opinion = ) yes I feel diet coke slows your weight loss.

Kristen

SW 245/CW 153/GW 150/

It is possible, but everyone is different. For some people, it doesn't have any effect at all. For others, it can really slow you down, or even prevent much loss. Experiment and find out what works best for you!

~Kristie~

HW 284.4 ~ CW 283.0 ~ GW 155

:bcbkickbu restarted 8/18/10

OLD SIGNATURE (2007):

HW 253.4~CW 199.4~GW 155~~~Total lost: 54.0

ONEDERLAND reached 10/15/07

Another point of view from me = ) I cut down on soda for another reason too. It seemed that everytime I went out I had to go stop to get a fountain soda. My initial thought was this helps to keep me OP it's 0 points so what's the big deal, I started to realize though that is was all about my obsessive food issues. Even if it is 0 points, it was a food issue/obession for me and I realized I needed to stop it, I actually feel more in control now because I was able to realize an problem and fix it.

Kristen

SW 245/CW 153/GW 150/

I lost over 100 pounds and have maintained almost 4 years while drinking several Diet Cokes a day. I still get in all my water too, but I don't think DC slowed my loss. I think the "news" story was that some people eat more when they drink diet soda because they think they have extra calories but it does come down to calories in vs calories out IMO.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

I'm with Joann on this. I drink several Diet Dr. Pepper's or Diet cokes a day and have lost almost 60 lbs since October. For me that is something I don't want to give up - it's my treat. I didn't notice it slowing down my weight loss at all. I tried to give them up one time and was so grumpy that my family begged me to drink them!:bcb_grin

I guess we are all a little different and you just have to decide what works for your body.

SW: 220

CW: 157.4

GW: 145

Robyn

Thank you,all, for your responses. You helped me lots! I had heard somewhere on the news that diet drinks slowed weight loss, but you had to "tune in at 6" to hear the story. Of course, I forgot to watch the show and wondered what it said. Thanks!!

I never found it to slow me down and I lost all my weight drinking 2-3 cans a day. I do the same thing on maitenance.

181.2/123/125

Wow, good question. I really think it depends on the person.

When I started ww, I was drinking five to six cans a day of diet pepsi, or diet coke, to keep me awake, as I was on strong pain pills for my back pain. I decided to cut out the soda, and just drink crystal lite tea, that also has less sodium, and of course my water.

I have not had a soda in over a year, but the other day, I had to drive 90 miles to pick my husband up from the airport, and I was tired, so I purchased three cans of diet coke, and drank that along the way to keep me awake.

I stepped on the scale the next day, and I had gained 2.5 pounds( and the soda was the only thing that I had deviated my eating plan, anyway, it was water weight, for I lost it in the next few days, by drinking more water than usual.

So, I really think, that it reacts differently for each person.

Judy in Nevada " A Proud Mom of a U.S. Sailor"

SW 190.6 started 2-3-06

WW Goal 150.0 (40.0 lost) :wave: Made on 9-26-06

CW 148.2 02-24-07

Lifetime 11-7-06

I stopped drinking pop almost completely, diet or other wise, sticking just with water, juice, or Crystal Light products. I have not seen any extra lose from doing so, but I heard somewhere that you can have caffeine drinks as long as you replace it with equal amounts of water as stated above.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I am sure one of the veterans can clarify this.

SW: 227.2 2-1-16...CW: 220.2 GW: 160.:bcb_march

I've lost almost 100 pounds while drinking 2 liters of diet coke and 2 liters of water a day. Honestly, I think the water is the most important. I do feel bloated, but that goes away by the morning weigh-in!

SW: 240 lbs (Oct. 2003)

PG#1: 200 lbs (reached June 2004!)

PG #2: 170 lbs (reached Dec. 2004!)

PG #3: 150 lbs (reached May 2005 - GOAL REACHED!)

CW: Ah, the constant dance between 150 and 155...

I drink 2-3 Diet Cokes a day. I don't think it has hindered my weight loss. I do think that the caffeine makes me hungrier than when I drink water, though. I also think that the caffeine acts as a diuretic and I can sometimes feel more bloated when I don't drink it. I know that all those chemicals can't be good for me but I do love it so! Diet Coke is my weakness. I don't eat like I used to, I don't smoke, and I don't drink, so it is a treat.

Carla

SW 172 -- 08/10/06

GW 135 -- 12/14/06

CW 145 -- 11/29/09 (My "Oh, Crap!" number)

Lifetime member gettin' back to goal!

I drink a couple glasses of Diet Coke a day. It's actually a habit I wish I could give up, because I know the phosphates in soda can actually leach calcium out of our bones (ack!) (This is true, by the way, for any carbonated beverage - factoid courtesy of my orthopoedic surgeon sister, who battles her own addiction to Diet Pepsi).

But, alas, I do need it as my "pick-me-up," and I consider it a treat. If I have to have a "vice" of sorts, D.C. isn't that bad a choice, I guess.

Anyway, I can, and do lose weight while drinking it - I even made it to Goal and Lifetime while drinking DC regularly.

I HAVE noticed, though, that, when I drink DC, I often crave a crunchy, salty snack to go with it (like pretzels, popcorn, and peanuts), and I do believe the caffeine boosts my appetite. So I am careful with my snacks.

The other thing I have noticed is that, if I am drinking DC, I am much less likely to snack on fruit. Somehow, the flavors don't go well together. But water goes with everything....

So, I wonder if the reason the studies show people who drink diet soda gain more weight (or stop losing) is more a function of WHAT they are eating WITH their drinks?

Obviously we'd all be better off drinking only water, as our ancestors did for tens of thousands of years. But then, we enjoy a much higher quality of life than they did, so why not live a little?

Just be careful to get ALL your calcium in if you drink soda on a regular basis, and also to drink enough water as well.

Enjoy,

Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

I gave up all sodas while I was working towards goal. Can't say it made any difference as far as weight loss went. I am a very slow loser. Lately i have gone back to a couple of diet sodas a week. JenniferM has a point about it causing you to want other snacks. That may be true. But water/lemon water does get old. I don't drink fruit juice and try to limit artificial sweetners because I believe they are deadly in lots of ways. So anything other than water in moderation I guess. My brain knows that water is the best choice but I just crave variety sometimes. Mena/Potomac

Mena-Fit for life Grandma:bcbkickbu

SW-191-1999

GW-150- Lifetime 2000

CW-148, 3-18-07 145.5

NGW-140

I will get there. Nothing's stopping me now.

I'm reading more and more about how aspartame can cause an insulin reaction in the body. It’s not due to the carbs because diet drinks don’t contain any. Supposedly the insulin spike is in response to the sweetness of aspartame. The sweet taste sets off a chemical reaction in the body. A constant high insulin level equals fat gain. Personally, I drink 3-4 a day and I notice that they can increase cravings. Then there are times when I drink mostly water and the weight comes off a little easier. :bcb_confu

Lord walk with me with your arm around my shoulder

and your hand across my mouth

I only drink one can of DC a day, but I wish I could give it up...nothing more than a chemical cocktail, no redeeming qualities. Alas, I am addicted.

I don't think it has hindered my weight loss, but I do notice if I drink too much of it I feel bloated. Eventually I hope to eliminate it completely from my diet, but for now I am focusing on more pressing matters like losing weight & exercising more!

Vanne

SW 181 :sobbing:

CW 164 :work_out:

WWG 160

PGW 145 :goal:

I drink one can of Pepsi One a day and that is all..But I also do not drink coffee or really any other beverage in a day except water so I don't think it has any adverse affects on me... But I also believe each person is different.

Stacey

SW-220, CW-155, GW-145

Guest NebraskaGuy

I'm a bit of a freak, I'm afraid.

I easily drink 6-9 cans of diet mt dew every day. :bcb_blush

I dont think it has slowed my loss down as I have lost 53 lbs since October 2006. I still drink all my water though as well.

NebraskaGuy, you aren't a freak. I can get in 5 cans of diet soda a day, easily!

Doesn't stop weight loss.

After I lost weight last time, I decided to get aspartame out of my diet. First there was the withdrawal (not from caffeine because I was still drinking lots of black tea) and that caused major headaches for 2 days. Within 2 weeks I could taste aspartame as 'virgins' taste it and it was awful!

I did not give up soda, I simply had it only when I was out and had the full-sugar version. When home I drank soda water and juice along with my regular water, milk and tea.

I slowly gained (about a pound a month.) When I went back to diet sodas, the weight gain stopped.

So I'm back to drinking 2 - 5 cans a day.

And, as others have stated, it is my one vice, it has no redeeming features and many negative ones but I just can't seem to manage without it.

...Kathryn

(181/ 170/ 138)

(HW/CW/GW)

Been to goal three times using WW, twice for over a year but I'm way older this time and feel like I'm at war with my body. Height 64.5"

diet colas do not hinder wt loss. I lost well over 100 lbs and iy has no effect on me. 0 pts and 0 calories is just that. Even the sodium content is not that bad if you look at it. better than a donut or juice for that matter

good luck

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

2) I've also heard that for some reason the artifical sugar does something to your system that actually causes you to feel more hungry.

I had heard this one, too. I don't know. For every medical article or study out there stating one thing, there's another one of the opposite opinion. Who knows what to believe any more? I quit drinking pop because the acid that's in it is bad for tooth enamel, stomach acid and kidney stone formation. I still drink a regular pop now and then, not often because it's not worth the points any more. Plus, I've gotten used to drinking unsweetened low cal beverages. Sweet tastes weird now.

I drink a lot of Diet soda as well and it does not make any difference to me.

"I choose not to dig my own grave with a fork and a spoon!"

Pamala Lynn

I've run the gamut, everything from drinking several cans a day with either sucrolose or aspartame to not drinking any. My weight loss has never gone one way or the other because of it.

Right now I am drinking 1-2 cans per day of Diet Coke or Diet Sprite and it's a nice addition to meals and a pick me up at work.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

I read an article on this; it said that Diet Coke may slow your weight loss, because the flavors along with NO calories tricks your body into thinking it is getting fuel, so it's trying to absorb it, but gets nothing. Therefore, it doesn't fill you up, and your body may try grasping, so you may feel hungry and end up binging. Diet Coke in itself does not slow weight loss, except that it DOES contain sodium, so it may make you retain water.

:bcb_grin

Trish HW: 190 SW: 170 CW: 164.2 GW: 135ish