Health Discovery Network
lunabiker

Runners - May

Welcome Laurie! We're excited to have you here. Your goals sounds great, a 15K this summer and Boston 2008!

I did a energizing 6 miles on the trails wednesday night (we'll eventually both be there the same week Liz!), and then a little over 3 miles at sunrise Thursday morning (5:45!). It was my last run with my friend Adelyn, as she is moving to Santa Cruz, by way of Orange County, so it was worth missing sleep for! We'll still be able to run together on the occasional weekend, but we're both pretty bummed to lose another when we just found such a nice fit together.

After nearly 1 month of low heart rate based training, I'm down 3.8 pounds, and back at "free" for my WW meetings,

as of yesterday morning! Of course nearly eliminating refined sugar has probably played just as much of a role in my loss too.

Even though I haven't run fast since 5/1, I'm planning to race a 10K on Monday. I want a good baseline so I'll know how fast I am, before I commit to 2-3 more months of low heart rate based training. So this race will be it. Its the Marin Memorial 10K, a flat, fast, road course. I'm a little nervous about it, but also curious to see what the road race scene is like. I plan to lay off the running until then, and just cross-train in the meantime.

Sarah

206/141.8/140

Started WW: 1/12/06

10%: 3/22/06, 2nd 10%: 6/6/06,

3rd 10%: 8/3/06, Goal: 8/19/06

Lifetime: 11/30/06!

Lizard: How cool to have runner friends. I'm still trying to talk a few of mine into running with me.

Darci: How did you like the four star food? :)

mojo5: Welcome to the Runner's Thread! :wave: I know all about being short.

Sarah: How did your 10K go? I hope it was fun!

I ran this evening for a grand total of 10 minutes. My foot is s l o w l y getting there. It felt great to be running again! :bcb_bigsm

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

Hi all -

Thanks for the warm welcome. I do appreciate it!

I just came in from a 7 mile run (with my dog Rider). I am slower than heck but I finished it with ease. I have been doing the Jeff Galloway running plan of walking for about a minute every mile and it has been helping me tons with staying fresh throughout my long runs. It is supposed to keep your running muscles fresh by switching over to your walking muscles for short breaks. I am finding that it works well and it also gives me time for water breaks, etc.

I did ok (yes, just ok) staying OP this long Memorial weekend. I find myself gravitating towards the chips and such during cookouts and while my head says no my hands still go for them. I find myself justifying that I run and exercise and will make up the points that way. I need to stop doing that as this is what is slowing my weight loss.

Have a nice day ;)

Mojo

SW: 182.2

CW: 171.4

GW: 140

PGW: 135

PF:25/365

I find myself justifying that I run and exercise and will make up the points that way. I need to stop doing that as this is what is slowing my weight loss.

Amen Sister!! I'm right there with ya. :bcb_down We need to knock that stuff off!

My first 4 star French meal was as scrumptious as I imagined but never dared to hope it would be. :bcb_bigsm I'll spare you the delicious details, but it was truly a great meal, which was good, because it cost a small fortune. We also went on a walking tour of the town's historic houses, which was a lot of fun.

I ran 4 mi on the treadmill at the gym, then did the 1 hr. Group Power class- I felt like a real stud! :bcbkickbu Sadly, I've used up my 4 guest days, so I either have to buy a membership again or stop going. With school about to start back up and work going crazy, I'm afraid I'm back to being on my own. There's a possibility that one of my classmates will do a weekly tennis lesson for me- I hope that works out!

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

Laurie: running with your dog sounds fun! I like taking short walk breaks too especially on steep hills.

Mrs S: good to hear your foot is steadily improving, and that you are back to running. thanks for asking about my 10K, it was awesome! The course was fast and flat, and the weather was perfect.

I finished in 47:32, a 7:39 min/mile pace. Behind my dream goal (44 min), but ahead of my realistic goal of 48:00. I was very strong the last 2 miles, when I realized I had a substantial energy reserve left, running negative splits and the last mile in less than 7 minutes. It was a very competitive field, which was quite humbling. I found myself being paced by a rockin' 65 yr old woman, and not too far ahead of the winning baby jogger. At least I could find humor in it! There was no way I was going to let a parent pushing a baby jogger pass me! Thankfully there were a few tight turns, where the jogger stroller was no match for my speed and agility ; )

I cut more than a minute/mile off my first (and only other) 10K I ran last August, where I finished in 54:05. Will I be breaking 40 minutes a year from now? That would be swell. Maybe two years until my first sub 40 minute 10K is a more realistic goal.

Afterwards, I got to meet women's winner, Magdalena Lewy-Boulet who finished in 33:54!

http://www.fast-women.com/athletes/interviews/magdalenalewyboulet.html

She was there with her family, including Richie, who leads my Wednesday night trail runs, who finished sub 32 minutes, and their son, who toddled through a 50 yd dash for the little ones.

For my next road race, I'll start a little less conservatively.

And bring my own cheering section! It was kind of a bummer to see many people standing on the sidelines who were utterly silent when I went by (only cheering for folks they knew). A couple of times I yelled cheesy lines

like "come on people, make some noise" but was surprised to get only silence and strange looks in response. Same thing when I tried small talk with my fellow runners, during the race. No response! I guess they were conserving their energy for the run. Richie told me afterwards that, even at my pace, people are really competitive at this race in particular. It draws out some of the elite, and best non-elite runners around.

Sarah

206/141.8/140

I finished in 47:32, a 7:39 min/mile pace. Behind my dream goal (44 min), but ahead of my realistic goal of 48:00. I was very strong the last 2 miles, when I realized I had a substantial energy reserve left, running negative splits and the last mile in less than 7 minutes.
:bcb_bravo

It was a very competitive field, which was quite humbling. I found myself being paced by a rockin' 65 yr old woman, and not too far ahead of the winning baby jogger. At least I could find humor in it! There was no way I was going to let a parent pushing a baby jogger pass me! Thankfully there were a few tight turns, where the jogger stroller was no match for my speed and agility
OMG, that is too funny! :bcb_LOL:

I cut more than a minute/mile off my first (and only other) 10K I ran last August, where I finished in 54:05.
:bcb_march Solid progress and improvement- good for you!

A couple of times I yelled cheesy lines like "come on people, make some noise" but was surprised to get only silence and strange looks in response. Same thing when I tried small talk with my fellow runners, during the race. No response! I guess they were conserving their energy for the run.
Uh, once again, that is hilarious! How... unnerving to get the crickets-chirping treatment while you're out there busting your buns! LOL Good idea to bring your own appreciative audience next time. :bcb_bigsm

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

Sarah....Wow! A 7:39/mile pace! I couldn't run that fast even if $millions$ were at stake. How do you do it??????

Tried running again today and made it a mile before the knee hurt too bad to continue. I've made an appt. for tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully relief of some sort is in sight. Decided to spend my gym time on the arc trainer and with a full body weight workout instead of my planned 6 mile run.

Tamara

SW 178.6 09/03/05

GW 146 01/14/06

even at my pace
But your pace is awesome, at least to me. :) Congrats on a great run! PS. Boo to the unfriendly people!

Tamara: Hope the doc helps you, buddy. It's frustrating, isn't it? :(

Darci: Small fortune, huh? Guess I'll eat 2 star foods. lol

mojo: Yeah, I've told myself the same thing and while running helps, it doesn't burn as much as I can eat! Self restraint has to come into the picture at some point. I'm on a new experiment, no chips for a year (since I love love love chips). I've been chip free for 4 days. Only 361 days to go. :bcb_grin

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

Mrs S: No chips for a year? Oh my gosh I get the shakes just thinking about it....however....I think that it makes sense. You're on day four? Ok, I am right behind you. I have been chip free today so I am counting it as day one. Let the countdown begin......

Luna: a 7:39 pace? You're my hero.

How many days a week do you all run? Cross train too? I run 3 days a week, do 3 days at the gym, and one day of rest.

Off topic - how do I get the dang line off from over my signature?

Mojo

Hello. My name is Darci, and I'm a chipaholic. :bcb_grin Mrs S, you're amazing for chucking the chips for a year! And mojo, ditto to you. I will have to think about that...

Tamara and Mrs S- I'm sorry you guys are having injury troubles, but I'm really impressed with how you're working through and around the problems. :salut Keep it up!

Mojo- I don't know that you can get it off. It seems to be there on everyone's.

I've got a massage this afternoon (oh happy day), then I plan a run Thursday am.

224.2/175/165

mojo: The dang line is a given. :) Welcome to the chip free challenge. You don't have to join, this is something I need to do for myself. While I believe in eating anything in moderation (and have eaten chips all along), I just felt the need to bust my number one trigger food. I'm tired of giving into that red light food. Sometimes it takes drastic measures, right? I've got to tell you, they're everywhere! We had a Memorial dinner, guess what was lined up across the table? Then yesterday, I went on a field trip with my son. We pre-bought our food and they gave us a chicken sandwich, chips, and cookies. Oh, the temptation. I.didn't.eat.one. Go me. lol Anyways, it's a big challenge. Ask me how I'm doing every so often.

Darci: Enjoy your massage!

• HW-142 CW-118

Mrs S - if I was going to be completely honest, and I will, I must admit my number one trigger food is not chips - its pretzels. I was telling DH last night about not eating chips for a year and he laughed at me. Told me that it would be a breeze as I would still have my #1 love - my pretzels. So....I will not be joining you on the chip challenge. I will be joining you on the pretzel challenge. You chips. Me pretzels. And yes I will ask you how you are doing every so often.

Days without pretzels - Two. Only 363 to go.

Running tomorrow. Planning on 4 miles.

Mojo

Mojo: Honesty is good, if albeit painful. :D You can do this! What's a year? Thousands of minutes, days, months, four seasons... lol One day at a time, right? Day 5 for me! Hasn't been too painful today, although I did see a bag in my pantry. I just shut the door and walked away... Happy running tomorrow! I think I'll try another run again, since my foot felt almost normal today. I'm so happy.

• HW-142 CW-118

Well, the doctor didn't have anything earth shattering to say....basically that I have runners knee and to slow down on the running a bit and strengthen the thighs. So, I'll keep running, take ibuprofen, and add in more strenght training for the legs. I also bought new shoes yesterday. Mizuno's...anyone have any experience with those? I had never heard of them.

So, I ran 6 miles this morning. After the second mile, the knee seemed to feel a bit better - or I just decided to ignore it. My body is feeling a bit worn out between working out and work on the house, I'll probably do a easier workout tomorrow.

Best of luck on the chip/pretzel-free year! I'm not about to give up my biggest trigger food - cheese! That's how I use my 35 WPA.

Tamara

SW 178.6 09/03/05

GW 146 01/14/06

Ran a bit over 3 this am- it was nice, but I was disgusted with myself for forgetting the sunscreen and/or visor. I JUST had a facial yesterday and was freaking out about some light pigmentation on my face- DUH! :bcb_kick: Anyway, I think THAT should be my challenge this summer- to religiously protect myself from the sun. Chemo is NOT the way I want to lose weight, and I seriously worry about that possibility.

Tamara- good to at least know what you're dealing with, right? Maybe this is a good opportunity to find some fun cross-training activities...

MrsS- I've got my fingers crossed for ya!

224.2/175/165

Thanks for the compliments on my race pace, you guys are too sweet.

Last night I had a great 6.2 mile run with Transports/Eat&Run. We ran at one of my "regular" parks, but on trails I had never sought out, which was nice. The end was a pretty killer hill (2+ miles!), making the run feel like anything but a recovery run after the monday race.

I brought a pie to the dinner, and when the hostess tried to get me to take the one slice that was left over home, I responded "no thanks, I don't eat refined sugar alone," which got big laughs. That's my new way of managing this sugar-lite life. Enjoy special homemade treats on occasion, in the company of friends and fellowship, but don't eat it alone. ever! Because that's when I have portion size problems.

This saturday I'm leading a LUNA Chix training run in one of my favorite parks.

Sarah

206/141.8/140

I brought a pie to the dinner, and when the hostess tried to get me to take the one slice that was left over home, I responded "no thanks, I don't eat refined sugar alone," which got big laughs. That's my new way of managing this sugar-lite life. Enjoy special homemade treats on occasion, in the company of friends and fellowship, but don't eat it alone. ever! Because that's when I have portion size problems.

Brilliant strategy. I'm going to remember that line. :D

• HW-142 CW-118

A beautiful day here today. Great.

Ran 4 today. Awesome.

Discovering chocolate Vita Muffins for the first time. Priceless. ;)

Weighing in tomorrow.....

Mojo

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. I finished Couch to 5k so now I am running 3 miles. YAY! Next week I am starting a 10 week program that will get me up to running 6 miles. I am surprised but I actually like to run now. :-)

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!!!

Stacey

SW-220, CW-155, GW-145

Stacey: Lol, it does get addictive. :) Congratulations on your graduation! :salut

I ran 4.1 on my treadmill. The First Run Back. :bcb_bigsm I ran slowly and I did feel a few twinges during the first mile. Still, overall, I think I'm back on track! My head is warring with my heart because tomorrow is the half. I know I haven't ran much in two weeks, I know I'm not as fit as I was two weeks ago, I'm not even sure my foot could handle 13 miles, but I still want to do it. Is it an ego thing? Is it because I've already paid my money and there's not chance of a refund. :D Common sense tells me to let it go, and if it were you all asking my advice I'd tell you not to run, that there would be other races. What do you think? Would you run if it were you?

• HW-142 CW-118

Mrs S - what was your longest run prior to hurting your foot (training for the half?)

Mojo

I ran the track yesterday. It seemed much easier this time. I didn't want to throw up.

That's a good thing right?

We're going to Disneyland on Sunday for 2 days. I can't imagine running in Anaheim, but

I guess we'll get plenty of exercise in walking.

Mrss - hmmm, that's a tough one. If you're still feeling twinges, then it's probably best

not to do it. You don't want to make anything worse. Do you have to drive a long way

to go to the race? If not, you could start it and see how you feel with the intention of

stopping if your foot bothered you. So basically I have no answers....

Lunabiker - someday I'll make it back to the trail run. I almost went this week, but it's

hard with the kids. I end up getting home from work and spending 1/2 hour with them

and then leaving to run. They are asleep when I get back from the run.

Start date: 1/2/07

176/152.6/145

mojo: 11

lizard: It's a local race. I don't know, still batting it around in my head. Not throwing up is always good. :D Have a wonderful weekend! :salut

• HW-142 CW-118

Mrs S - it's obviously your call - if you were able to work through some of the twinges today and felt good thru your run and really want to do it - I would say go for it (you can always drop out). However, if the twinges were more than twinges I would wait. There are always more races to run and more money to plop down.....

Mojo

Mrs S.- I can't say what you should do, but I would probably wait for another 1/2 marathon, or run it as a training run, with no goals for speed and no shame in walking. The potential pain and injury from running a race that your feet aren't ready for could cost more than the race reg fee that you've already paid. I personally would not start a race with a plan to maybe drop out. Because of my whole ego, DNF would be hard for me to accept. I've chosen to skip out on two of the 8 races I registered for in the last year (for weather reasons both times) and never regretted the decision for a minute. I ran my first half marathon solo 2 weeks after the half marathon I skipped, on a training run (on the same course the race covered), and felt like it was a unique, and wonderful first half marathon experience. guess we should start a June thread soon!

Sarah

206/141.8/140