Health Discovery Network
angelam_75

Couch to 5k Concern...

OKay, I know you guys can help if anyone can.

I've been walking for my exercise (anywhere between 2-4 miles) for the past few months. I walk because it's easy, and no stress on my joints.

I've been wanting to step it up a little, and was looking at the Couch to 5k. I know yall will think I'm crazy, but I'm mortified to start this thing! I'm only 32 lbs over my goal weight, which I know is nothing compared to some. But I've NEVER been even one ounce athletic, and my knees give me trouble at every turn. I seriously cannot even run or jog for one minute without being out of breath or my knees hurting. Plus I feel like when I run that my rump is bouncing all over the place! :bcb_blush

I know the first week I think you run 60, walk 90, and even that gives me anxiety.

Was anyone else afraid to start and what is everyones experience with this?

TIA !!

~~Angela

5'2"

Highest Weight-176

CW 154 :bcb_cry:

GW 130

www.picturetrail.com/angelam_75

When I first started the program, I ran with a good friend of mine. She was probably about 220 lbs at the time, and was scared to death to start the program. The first day was torture for her. She did NOT want to finish the first minute! I made her keep it up, and finish the first day as it was written. She was so proud of herself for doing that! Long story short, within a couple of months we were both running 20 minutes non-stop! We even signed up for and completed a 5K race that year. It is difficult, but you can do it!! If your knees truely bother you, I would suggest seeing a doctor before starting the program.

Brooke ~ HW: 217.0 ~ SW: 211.6 (10/24/09)~ CW: 208.2 (as of 12/12/09) ~ WWGW: 155 ~ PGW: 145

Angela, don't forget that if you find it too difficult at the beginning, you can just revert to walking. There's no shame in that. I couldn't complete all the running intervals when I first started, but soon I was in the groove. It's still a fantastic workout even if you can't do the program as prescribed to start. And that's the point, right?

Really, you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Oh, BTW, if you have an ipod or MP3, you can download this podcast, which has music and the intervals for each week are all timed out for you. No peaking at a watch every 10 seconds! I loved it.

Pat

Thanks Girls! Well, I attempted to try to run last night, just to see if I could even do it. So i tried one minute on, 3-4 minutes off. Seven times. it was hard but not as bad as I had imagined in my head. And my knees actually didn't hurt at all. Maybe I can give credit to all my walking for that?

I think this is something I could actually do, but I"d like to invest in a good pair of running shoes and a new ipod in the next few weeks before I really get into it. I love the idea of the podcast for this!!!

~~Angela

5'2"

Highest Weight-176

GW 130

The good pair of running shoes will make all the difference in the world. I started the Couch to 5K program (I use the podcast) about 6 weeks ago. I am only on Week 4 because I had a week where I could only run once due to my schedule and another week where I was sick and didn't run at all. I just ran for 5 straight minutes yesterday which for me is a huge victory. I tried to run a couple of years ago for the first time and my knees started killing me and I got plantar fascitis after 2 weeks, so I stopped. This time around it has been so much better. Just push through the first 2 weeks and you will make it. Also, if I feel by the 3rd day that it is still really challenging, I will run an extra day or two in the week until I feel ready to bump up to the next week. Good luck!!!!

:strong:AmAnDa:strong:

original SW: 188 lbs

SW after recommitting: 168.2 lbs

GW: 135 lbs

Thank you Amanda! I was thinking the same thing about stretching the weeks out if I needed to. I like hearing everyones experiences being first time runners! It's so encouraging!!!

~~Angela

5'2"

Highest Weight-176

GW 130