Health Discovery Network
Veggie626

Raw carrots question!

Quick question:

I'm sitting here eating raw carrots from a bag. While raw carrots are zero points, how MANY raw carrots can I eat before it turns into points? Using the nutrition info on the bag, if I ate the whole bag (5 times 3 oz serving size) it would come out to 3 pts. So do I cound the bag as 3 points or zero?

Thanks!!

LAUREN

Couch to 5k: COMPLETED (7/6/07)

First 5K: 32:03 (7/14/07) Second 5K: 30:16 (7/21/07)

Technically you can eat the entire bag and still count it as zero. Veggies are the only food I know of that you can do that with on WW though. However, your starchy veggies like potatoes, corn, peas, etc. you do need to count points for.

Lisa

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Just don't cook em Laura cause then they turn into pts. Weird huh?

David

HW: 570 ( Pretty big huh?)

SW: 511.8 ( Well thats a little better)

CW: 469

IMPOSSIBLE is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. IMPOSSIBLE is not a fact. It's an opinion.

Ha not a problem as I don't have a kitchen in my dorm! I already finished the bag and counted it as zero points , wooohoo :bcb_smile

Thanks for your repsonses

LAUREN

If your weight stalls you might want to rethink.

Had a Memebr in my meeting that was eating a bag a day. Was not losing. She was also eating other veggies. They do add up. Just like anything else

Yeah, good point. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for your input!

LAUREN

When this last program came out, my leader at the time told us we had to start counting raw carrots as 1 pt per cup (I think) that's been so long ago! And I don't know how accurate that is, she was kind of screwy! ha!

~~Angela

5'2"

Highest Weight-176

CW 154 :bcb_cry:

GW 130

www.picturetrail.com/angelam_75

Great question and great answers. I remember the days when carrots were counted (like peas) and wondered. My dog and I sit there munching on the petite carrots while watching American Idol after I get home from WW meeting. I think it is important to look at all of these 0 veggies (and soup) that we have learned to use as fillers.

marge

there s a dance in the old dame yet toujours gai toujours gai

SW: 206

CW: 162.5

40# 2/5

HW: 146

weight.png

Guest Danielle06492

LOL someone said this in a post of mine...

If someone got fat from veggies or ketchup (0 point things) I want to meet them!

Guest HealthyFoodie

Okay, here's my take on this: the Flex system [counting points] is based in part on calorie intake. The Core system is based on satiety and eating what your body needs. If you're on Flex and eating the whole bag, count those points. If your on Core, sit back after a serving and ask, have I had enough carrots? Am I physically hungry for carrots, or just keeping my mouth occupied?

The bottom line: Don't be unthinking with food. Be aware of what you're eating, and why.

For myself, I had a big issue with the whole 'serving size' thing, so I started on Core. Yay, no measuring [okay, minimum measuring!]. It took me a grand total of two weeks to realize that I could eat as much as I *need*, not as much as I *want*. A pound of carrots and a pound of candy are the same weight, folks. Carrots have less calories and more bulk, and will likely fill you up better, but you'll still gain if you eat more carrots than your body needs.

So, I'm the person who's on Weight Watchers for eating too much veggies. I ate too much of EVERYTHING. That's what I'm learning at Weight Watchers: how to eat for my health, for my body's needs, not its wants. [and who would have thought that my body occasionally needs one piece of chocolate along side that bowl of salad? ;) ]

Most important of all: ENJOY THE CARROTS! :bcbkickbu

Thanks so much for your replies! I did end up eating that whole bag when I asked this question, but since then, I have only eaten 10 baby carrots at a time and counted as 0 points. And it's true - I didn't need anymore. In reality, I think I just needed the comfort of eating something I didn't have to think about and I didn't have to feel guilty about. But now I've come to learn that if I'm not truly hungry, then don't reach for the food (even the carrots!). So thanks again, everyone!

LAUREN