Health Discovery Network
Momsjoho

Whats your fav. bulgar recipie?

I just recently switched to Core and see that a lot of ppl are having bulgar as part of their grains....

Share your fav. bulgar recipe....I was looking for something salty (not sweet)...but wasnt sure what to make with bulgar!

Thanks!

You can sub it for anything that would normally call for rice.

Jodee SW: 223 CW: 177 PW:178.5 GW:??

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I like it along with my eggs in the morning. I fry it in my 2 tsp of healthy oil til it's really crispy. Caution: Use the lid to the frying pan or it will "pop" all over your stove. Not fun....Then fry your egg the way you like it and add the FF cheese to the top of the egg. Put the egg and cheese over the top of the crispy bulgar. It's got that crunch and satisfaction thing going. :)

You can also make it into a fried rice type of recipe. Stir fry some onions, water chestnuts, bean spriouts, mushrooms, add some cooked chicken or other meat, stir in a little Egg Beaters or Egg Whites and season with soy sauce.

I cook it in chicken or beef broth, and add some onions, mushrooms and peas and whatever else you like for a pilaf.

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

I like the bulgar and tomatoes recipe (i forget who posted this...sorry!). It's quick to assemble and I usually have these ingredients on hand.

Bulgur and Tomatoes

1 T olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup bulgur

1 1/3 cups chicken broth

1 can diced tomatoes

1-2 teaspoons salt

over medium heat saute onions in olive oil until they are translucent. add garlic and bulgur.. cook for about 2-3 minutes. add chicken broth and diced tomatoes. bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until liquid is mostly absorbed.

SW and HW-198

CW-192.5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

dmarkey - Excuse me for sounding really dull this morning, but I'm very new to the bulgar thing! Do you cook the bulgar first before you fry it? Or is it coming straight from the box into the frying pan?

TIA

Restarted WW on 1/21/09

This time, with a friend!

SW 203 / CW 203 / GW 140

weight.png

I'm eating [thread=54945]Mama Linda’s Cheeseburger Skillet[/thread] right now

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

dmarkey - Excuse me for sounding really dull this morning, but I'm very new to the bulgar thing! Do you cook the bulgar first before you fry it? Or is it coming straight from the box into the frying pan?

TIA

I think you measure 1 cup dry bulgar- it gets cooked with the chicken broth

New SW 199 (March 30, 2011)

First goal 5%- 189

~2nd Weigh-in~ I'm down 3.8 lb!!

~3rd Weigh-in~ Down .2 Whyyyy!!??

TIA

Hi Mamaj96

Sorry about that, I wasn't very clear. I usually make up in advance a good size pot of bulgur - usually w/ chicken or beef broth. I freeze some and keep some in the fridge to use throughout the week. I use some of that already prepared bulgur to fry.

Hope that makes better sense.

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

I am going to try bulgar for the first time this week and I want to try the bulgar tomato recipe so bumity bump

I also LOVE bulgur for breakfast..

I just cook it in milk instead of water or broth, add a sprinkle of splenda or fructose (or honey/sugar - count points) and a good bit of cinnamon.. it's a DELICIOUS way to start the day!

Jackie ~SW: 160/CW:155/GW: 130

That bulgar and tomatoes recipe is wonderful - but, it is even better the next day. All the flavors meld.

Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237

Current Weight: 203.5

My Goal Weight: 180

Guest LostTeacher

i just posted this in the other core thread, and am wondering about this too.

i just bought my first package of bulgar recipe. it was from a bulk store, and doesn't have any instructions of how to cook it.

i am making a stir-fry tonite, and i want to add it to what i make. but i have no idea how to cook it up first. help!!

LT

i am making a stir-fry tonite, and i want to add it to what i make. but i have no idea how to cook it up first. help!!

LT

Sorry this reply is not in time for your dinner, but here is a link to a grains and legumes cooking chart that I use all the time. Bulgur is at the bottom, alphabetically indexed as "Wheat, bulgur." http://www.vegparadise.com/charts.html

Be well.

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Guest LostTeacher

well....i made it, but not in time for the stirfry. the first batch i made, i had too much water. the second batch was ok, but i had eaten already. i tried it on it's own, and with a little terryaki, but wasn't sure if i liked it. i guess cuz' it's new, it has a bit of a weird taste and texture to me. and it was more nutty than i was expecting.

someone suggested that i add it to my egg scramble, and that was exactly what i was going to have for breakfast tomorrow, so maybe i will try a bit of it mixed with the eggs. i made enough that i can try it out with a few things tomorrow, so i guess it's about mixing and trying.

thanks for the suggestions, and i am going to read more up on it.

LT

As far as the nutty flavor goes, the coarser the grind, the nuttier the flavor, I think. Around here it comes in 3 grinds: coarse, medium or fine. I use medium for things like tabbouleh and coarse for things like fried "rice" or spanish "rice" or any pilaf-style thing. But experiment and see what you like and share with us your thoughts and results!!

Be well.

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

I was reading Shape magazine and they have an article on "Guilt free carbs". It's all about whole grains, bulgur, barley, buckwheat, etc. One of the things they suggest is to toast the grains before cooking them. Here's what it says;

Toast them first

This will add a depth of flavor to your dishes. Saute grains in a pan on top of the stove or in the oven. Simply heat a few minutes; remove when they start to give off a nutty aroma.

Just thought I'd share this tip on the bulgur thread.:bcb_smile

*Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

my fav. bulgur recipe is to sub. it for the meat in punkin chilli. serve with a little ff cheese and ff sour cream. loved it. marie

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]:bcb_march Marie

I eat it with anything that I would eat rice with.

I make a big batch in the rice cooker. It cooks up fluffier than in the pot and my daughter, who says she hates bulgar, loves it. We lie and tell her it's rice. She's 14 and still hasn't figured this one out.

I LOVE to put it in the skillet with and egg and fry it up with whatever veggies I have for a very quick stir fry, when everyone else is eating pizza.

I also love the Bulgar and Tomatoes recipe below.

I put it in my Cabbage Casserole, instead of the instant brown rice also.

Laveta

SW: 225.6

CW: 175.8

HW: 245 (non-pregnancy weight)

Rejoined 5/15/2010 to get to LIFETIME!

I LOVE the bulgur and tomato recipe, I use diced tomatoes with green chilies and then add a little ff cheese or ff sourcream on top, the last batch I made I added a can of kidney beans, I've also added roasted chicken. It makes a fabulous lunch and loads of left overs.

Everybody I know's got a big but !!!