Health Discovery Network
Guest starbrite

so confused with these new ingredients

Guest starbrite

hi ..

i tried a recipe recently from the desserts section, i cant find the link to post. but it involved using, cocoa, apple sauce(unsweetened). it was to make choc cake. well i made it, and it tasted terrible. did i make it wrong. i did exactly as the instructions said, EXCEPT. instead of 3 packs of splenda i used 5. and instead of using unsweet cocoa, i used sweet.

dont worry i added the extra points n calories in. but it tasted bitter, and really crumbly. is that normal?

i see alot of recpes on here, that use pumpkin or coke, or beans, to make choc recipes-which is surprising to me. i know my family doesnt bake much, and if htey do they stick to the regular popular old fashioned recipes, i guess were not as hip to this lol. but,, when you use things like pumpkin or apple sauce, or beans or coke- can u taste those things?! why are they used.

so confused!!

i mainly just want to find a simple chocolate recipe for brownies or cake. with regular ingredients. i think after the last recipe i tried above, my mom wont really let me experiment any longer lol.

starbrite~

I can tell you that applesauce is used to replace some or all of the oil in many of the recipes. I was afraid to try all these different ingredients also! But as I found recipes that I thought would work for DH and me I printed them up and when I felt brave enough I tried them. Many were not to our liking, but many were excellent (or as DH calls them "keepers")! I find that this is what has helped keep this program from becoming boring! Find those recipes that work for you and add them to a list of favorites to make again and again for this new healthy lifestyle change of yours. Here's hoping you find a lot of "keepers" as you experiment with these ingredients.

:salut MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

Some of the ingredients are different at first. A good thing to try, is to always try the recipe as it's written ... and then if you don't like it, make modifications from there.

If you want more 'traditional" ingredients, maybe try searching for recipes on the cookinglight.com web site ... they usually use "regular" ingredients, so the points/calories are a bit higher than recipes found here, but lower than "normal" recipes.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

Don't worry, Starbrite- hardly any of us grew up putting pumpkin or artificial sweetener or whatever in our recipes, either. :bcb_smile The first unusual ingredient I tried was Diet Coke with a spice cake mix- delicious!!!

Don't lose your nerve- keep trying new things and you'll be amazed at the keepers you find and the knowledge you gain. :bcb_up

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

Guest HealthyFoodie

Fruit and vegetable purees and sauces in recipes usually replace either the fats or eggs that a lot of baked goods have in them, especially cakes. They sometimes can make the cakes more dense or give them a rubbery texture. I don't know which recipe you used, but I suspect that there wasn't enough eggs or liquid in the mix, or that you might have beaten the batter too much. Try using bananas in chocolate recipes, or use fat-free yogurt [i like the thicker, Greek-style yogurt--almost like sour cream in consistancy.] to keep the moisture up.

When you say you used sweetened cocoa, are you talking about drinking cocoa, like hot chocolate mix? That's a different product from cocoa powder, and can't be used as a subsistute. Unsweetened cocoa powder is very bitter, and not at all like the sweet stuff we think of when we think 'chocolate'. When I use it, I tend to add some vanilla extract to the recipe--give it a 'sweet' overtone.

Since you're new to baking low- and no-fat things, I would suggest some of the simpler recipes first, ones that use cake mixes, for example. Almost all of them aren't Core, but a lot of them have lower points per serving. I can post a few of them if you like.