Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Guest vaylene

No Prego here!

Guest vaylene

Hello! I am new here. I want to see if anyone has some really good examples of how they lost alot of weight . Certain workout techniques? Length of workout? Certain foods? I'm trying the point system. I am up for anything! I am 23 and about 140 lbs. I don't consider myself over weight but I have been asked THREE times by complete strangers if I was pregnant! I tend to hold weight in my stomach and thighs but it still hurts and I'm not going to wait till the 4th person asks me if I can. Any advice is great!!! Thanks

Guest nurseadams24

Everyone is so individual. There is a few hints I can give you from my perspective but you will need to try out different things to see what works for you. Personally, I try to work out 6-7 days a week. I try to mix it up. Don't do the same workout everyday. Walk one day, cardio the next. Don't let your body become accustomed to one workout. Eat you essentials everyday and most important drink your water. The biggest hint I can give you is that no matter what happens at weigh in, DO NOT GIVE UP. Your weight can change daily for no apparent reason. I hope this helps.

I feel your pain and share your frustration. I recently gained lots of weight due to a constant migraine that lasted five months. I had one of my kid's moms ask me if I was pregnant! I think it has to be one of the dumbest questions you can ask someone. I NEVER ask people this, unless they are already hinting about it. Anyway, I think it's great that you're so motivated. I agree with the previous post. I also wanted to add that you should make sure you're eating all your points and that you eat activity points too. Also, try to do weights about 3 times a week. Your increased muscles will speed up that metabolism! Try to resist the temptation to weigh yourself more than once a week and be sure to do it in the morning before you eat or drink. Know that it may not come off as fast as with crash diets, but if you're able to stick to it, you'll see that it's a lifestyle change and that you never have to deal with those types of questions anymore!

Don't forget to drink your water and make sure you're active all day long. So, even though you workout, you still make sure to be active at every chance you get. Park your car far, or try to walk to more places. Use stairs instead of the elevator. Do crunches and squats while you watch t.v., etc.

Good luck! :bcb_up

Guest Avarweth

The "are you pregnant" questions were what drove me back to Weight Watchers, too.

My first bit of advice: find a meeting, with a leader you like. I wish I were able to talk to her more than once a week, she's so inspiring!

Welcome to BCB, vaylene. I got the pregnant question a lot too. While I still have a stomach roll, it isn't as big as it used to be, and no one ever asks me that annoying question any more. My advice is to stick with the program, get in your Healthy 8 as much as possible, and exercise 5 to 6 times a week. Read BCB often to stay inspired and no matter what--don't quit! Belly fat is easier to lose than thigh fat, so you do have hope. :) Best wishes!

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

Guest iLynne
Belly fat is easier to lose than thigh fat, so you do have hope. :) Best wishes!
Actually, individual genetics determine which fat is easier to lose. The exact opposite is true for me: my belly is the *last* thing to go.

Hi Vaylene,

Count me as another one who has been asked if I was pregnant when I was not :bcb_mad2 . So believe me, I know the hurt. It sucks.

I agree with Kootya that it is a stupid question, so IMO it is more of a reflection on the idiot who asked the question than it is on you.

Nevertheless, my belly will probably always be my toughest area, in part due to genetics, in part due to my abs being shot by an emergency c-section, and in part due to my hating crunches!!:bcb_yuck:

Do what you can to reduce it with exercise & diet, but also accept yourself for who you are. I know I will probably never have a 6 pack, but that's okay.

Vanne

SW 181 :sobbing:

CW 164 :work_out:

WWG 160

PGW 145 :goal:

Actually, individual genetics determine which fat is easier to lose. The exact opposite is true for me: my belly is the *last* thing to go.
NancyNY says no matter what your shape, you'll just be a smaller version when you lose weight. I'm an apple, so now I'm a smaller apple. Even though I've lost a lot of weight in my stomach, I'll always have stomach fat since that's where I store fat. However, science has proven that visceral fat (found in the belly) is easier to lose than thigh (subcutaneous) fat. You have subcutaneous fat in your belly too, but I was thinking of the visceral when I said it was easier to lose. Here's another article: Killer Fat

What can be done to minimize fat and the trouble it causes? Lose weight; even modest losses reduce health risks, and visceral fat stores seem to go first. (Subcutaneous fat is actually harder to get rid of.)

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

Sorry to hear about the questions, I too got those. It still hurts. I think exercise is the best way to lose weight, other than following the WW plan. I noticed the weight loss first in my belly area so that was more motivation. Stick with it, the plan works.

Started WW: March 27, 2006

Starting Weight/Current Weight/Goal Weight

225/215/200

I WILL get there!!!

I think exercise is the best way to lose weight,
From what I've read, exercise is the only way to lose visceral fat.

• HW-142 CW-118

Guest iLynne
NancyNY says no matter what your shape, you'll just be a smaller version when you lose weight. I'm an apple, so now I'm a smaller apple. Even though I've lost a lot of weight in my stomach, I'll always have stomach fat since that's where I store fat. However, science has proven that visceral fat (found in the belly) is easier to lose than thigh (subcutaneous) fat. You have subcutaneous fat in your belly too, but I was thinking of the visceral when I said it was easier to lose. Here's another article: Killer Fat
And even if you had not been thinking of visceral fat, for *most* women, the belly is *not* the last thing to go. I was just pointing out that it is not that way for all of us.

Vaylene,

In your post you said that you don't consider yourself overweight. Have you spoken with your doctor to determine what is considered a healthy weight for your height and age? If you are already at a healthy weight, then perhaps you need a personal trainer, not WW. I would also recommend a physical if you haven't had one lately. Some medical problems, such as fibroid tumors, may cause a pregnant looking stomach.

Just some thoughts.

Weaver