Health Discovery Network
DES2

Mexican Lasagna (Core + a little)

1.5 lbs. 95% lean ground beef (I used 1.15 lbs ground bison), browned

1.5 C. frozen corn (I added because I was a little short on meat)

1-16 oz. can FF refried beans

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 tsp. chopped garlic (or 3/4 tsp. garlic powder)

12 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles (I used spelt)

2.5 C water (I used 1 C)

2.5 C salsa (I used 4 C Pace Picante Sauce)

2 C FF sour cream

3/4 C sliced green onions (one small bunch)

1 (2-1/4 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained

1/2 Cup shredded 2% fat Mexican blend cheese (adds 1/2 point for each serving if you assume 8 servings)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Brown meat.

2. Mix the salsa and water, and put about a cup of it in the bottom of the dish.

3. Combine browned meat, beans, oregano, cumin and garlic.

4. Place 4 lasagna noodles in bottom of baking dish. Spread half the beef mixture over noodles. Top with 4 more noodles and remaining beef mixture. Cover with last 4 noodles.

5. Pour rest of salsa/water mixture over noodles. Cover with foil. Bake 1.5 hours or until noodles are tender.

6. Combine sour cream, onions, and olives. Spoon over casserole and top with grated cheese. Bake, uncovered, until cheese melts (~7 min.). Remove and let stand for 10 minutes to set. Serves 8.

I fixed this tonight - it's very good, and fairly easy. It took me about 1/2 hour prep time and then an additional ~1:40 to bake. I didn't let it stand, but it would have been neater on the plates if I had.

This is adapted from a recipe that appeared in American Profile magazine last weekend. If you want it to be all core, use FF cheese. The 2% cheese makes it a 4 points recipe (1/2 point per serving for Corebies when divided into 8 servings). I haven't figured the points for Flexers.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

I made this last night and it is so good! I left out the sour cream, since I don't eat sour cream, and accidentally forgot the green onions and olives, and it is still fantastic. I also used ground turkey instead of beef, not that it makes much difference.

SW187.5 CW136 GW 128

LT circa 1970 Rejoined MAY 2000 1st 10% Nov 2000

A journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step. Confucius

Glad you liked it! I just had a leftover piece of it tonight - very good, and very satisfying!

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

This was sooo yummy. I actually used fat free mild mexican cheddar, so it was totally core. Im actually making it tomorrow night for some friends, and I know they'll b shocked to know itds healthy! Thanks

I purchased corn tortillas at Aldis. They are in the refrigerated section. I used them in place of the noodles. I have also used a polenta mixture kind of spread around. This too is very good. Thanks for this recipe.

I made this last night and loved it. so did the rest of the family. I used a jalapeno soy cheese. sent the recipe to my mom who is trying core. I was unsure about how the noodles would cook because I've never made lasagna without cooking the noodles first, but it worked great. This is a keeper Thankyou, thankyou.

SW 165

CW 140

reached goal and staying there!!